main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We're all pretty much in favor as the support from IGN has been lacking, especially since Zerosleep isn't there anymore. With the announcement of job cuts there, we're better off if we can get things under ours and Philip's control. If IGN decided to upgrade their boards to a new platform, chances are we'd be out of luck.

It's going to take a ton of work and the preliminary work has already started. (Do you think I'd be making a spreadsheet listing every banner and all it's bits if I didn't have to? :p)

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Why would anyone have thought this was an April Fools joke? This is serious business, guys. [face_talk_hand]

Anyway, my fingers are crossed for carbon-copy PMs. That'll make game updates and the like soooo much easier.

3. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I say bring it on. I'm glad to see the preparations and precautions being made right from the get go. I've enjoyed my time here as hosted by IGN and I'll enjoy future time here hosted elsewhere.

4. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    This will be exciting I think. If there is any way for someone like me to help, let me know. :)

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm moved, by all of this.

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I feel as if I'm witnessing history being made.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Is it possible that we'll know the very last day we're gonna be on IGN so we can have a big "last day on IGN" celebration? It'd be like 10th anniversary week on steroids or something.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    That is certainly possible.

9. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    That would be awesome. :D Any excuse for a party.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    As long as I don't have to pack or unpack anything then I don't care where or when we move. I am afraid that since my work blocks ign and other gaming sites, that I may not be able to access the boards at work. That would really stink. If it's just a server change and not an address change, I should be fine.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We're working on (and nearly finished) with a tool that will save any thread--and every page of the thread--and all you need to do is type in/paste in the thread id. It won't be time consuming at all. The same tool can save an entire forum if you put in the board id, and all of your PMs if you login through the tool.

We're moving away from IGN hosting, which we've had for nearly the last decade or so. The URL will still be boards.theforce.net, however.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    This is exceptionally exciting.

13. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    [face_laugh] ditto dude. :p

I'm amused people think this is serious business like it will change everything.

from the screen shots it looks similar, if not the same.

Edit: typos the bane of my existence.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just be prepared to have a lot of free space to do so--they'll be htm files. :p

15. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Jello where were you with this tool when I needed you years ago? And I take it that it will only work with these boards and not the new one or will it be compatible?

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    LOL WUT?!

I'm so confused.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's not the end of the world but it's not a trivial matter either. The boards will probably be offline for a time. And it's still a massive data transfer.

18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    free space is not a problem.

downloading time......

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not my tool. DarthXan318 programmed it herself, I just suggested features. :p

And I don't know the details of the code, but I would presume it's specially tailored for these boards. I have to think that she'd be able to adapt it to the new boards pretty easily though.

20. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Pardon the no doubt silly question: While the JC is moving, is TF.N staying where it is? I can't remember whether it was hosted by IGN or not. (Read: Do the editors have to run around saving things at the Archive? :p )

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It's just the boards that are hosted by IGN.

22. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    how long approximately? [face_thinking]

Edit: :oops: mark ups

23. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I have a bad feeling about this. IT moves of this magnitude are rarely as simple as one thinks. I predict some serious delays. I know a lot of work was put into the vbulletin option a few years ago; ideally, that will make this smoother than had the work not been put in on the front end. It'll be nice to go to a new system but I am really used to the surroundings here. I've been on the boards since 2001 (under a different user name obviously) and really quite enjoy the familiarity the JC brings with it. I hope that doesn't change.

24. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Charn, your answer is in the opening post.

25. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    Ah ha! So thats what that little program she was working on asked me to test a few months back was for. Then again that particular one may have been for something entirely different because this one I think was for post counts... I forget... anyway...