main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    As long as the color options remain the same, I'm good.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ah, "friend requests," eh? So we're trying to be like Facebook? Can I request "Enemy Requests?" I've always wanted that option. I know I could put it to good use.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    "Friend requests" are essentially the vBulletin replacement for the WUL.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh, the Groupie List again?

Well, if we can't have an Enemy list, instead of the star ranking system, can mods have like, "kills"? Only they'd be "bans"? So somebody like Jello can be like, "Habeo tres prohibitio hodie!" and the other mod would be all, "I don't know what you're saying bro, but I noticed you got 3 more bans today! I am such a slacker! I feel like I must go on a ban sweep through my forum!"

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Plz post in comms more often, Barriss.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    So all WULs will die upon the move? We'll be starting afresh?

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That calendar function seems like it could be really cool.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Actually, no. The system also has a "contacts list" that will be where your WUL is transferred, though at present your contacts list isn't displayed in your profile, only your friends list. Your friends list will only be a list of people who have confirmed your friend requests. What's the difference beyond that? Er, uh... Hey! What's that?! *points and runs*

9. Darth Kimball

Darth Kimball Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2000
    The new screens look great. vBulletin is a excellent choice given it provides technical support for it's paid product. The lack of technical knowledge has always been an issue here, although that appears not to be the case now. :) Setting up and styling the new forum must be quite a task. Converting a 12 year old database to a new one must be monumental.

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Ooooh... ignore list - I like.

11. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I noticed that VIPs can input their own color codes. Is this assumption correct, or do those text fields with hex codes not do anything?

12. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    You are correct. VIPs and above will have the ability to input any color codes they want and not just be limited to the list of color names.

13. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    I didn't miss the move, did I? Wait, where are we going?

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Is the static banner related to the move?

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The uniform banner was done as a precaution related to the recent attack site troubles. We're hoping to be able to change back to normal very soon :)

16. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Since we're talking about banners, on a related topic ...

vBulletin has the function to allow users to select their own 'theme' for the messageboard. Is this ability going to be made available to us when we move, or are we going to continue with the 'static' themes we've had in place here for each individual forum?

17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    How interesting. Is there a thread discussing this attack? I looked under 'Administration' and saw nothing. Thanks for protecting the site. My website host suffered a DDOS and it made all sorts of trouble.

18. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    The site attack discussion is in the "If you have a technical error..." thread in this forum.

Our focus with the move is to keep most of the current policies and day-to-day operations as similar as possible, and worry about making changes later. So in this case, mods and admins will be able to set the banner for each forum, but not individual users.

19. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    So wait...

When we moving?

Before or After Christmas...*

20. TogrutaJedi

TogrutaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2010
    I like the sound of the Ignore List, assuming that's for users whose posts you can block. What is Pictures and Albums for though?

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Under VBulletin users can upload pictures and make albums. However, I have a feeling we will be shutting that option off since there are so many other sites available for image hosting and sharing.

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Pictures and Albums would be kind of nice, but a nightmare to moderate (unless there's an option to disable it for users with less than a certain number of posts?).

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Rather than make someone necro a thread that's 5 months old you think we could actually I don't know lighten up when we move? There's an official thread for this and a official thread for that.

24. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    ooooh! A move!!! That brings back many memories...

Well, IGN boards lasted 10 years, not bad at all!

25. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Yes.