main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Yeah, not bad, though I wish we had moved the first time back in 2005. :p

2. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    Why didn't that one work out? I was vaguely aware of it. It does seem each time I pop in, people are talking about a move.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Last time around, IGN didn't want to provide the time and resources necessary to move and convert the database to vBulletin. This time, at least we've been able to get them to export the database and send it to us. We have to do the conversion ourselves though, which is the main thing that's taking us so long.

4. jedijoker

jedijoker Chosen One star 8

Jul 6, 2004
    Oh why :( must we look at all the other boring boards :( I love the way this place looks now. Hello to the world of plainness...

if I am wrong tell me :p

5. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Siriusly though, when are we moving? Wait, did we already move and I missed it? I don't even know where we are moving to!:_|

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We haven't moved yet. As Grimby has stated earlier, the database conversion is holding things up since there is no process already done to convert the IGN format to VB. At this point I doubt we'll hear anything until the new year.

7. Raggedy_Android

Raggedy_Android Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2005

since we're moving eventually, and this place is somewhat slow, can i have my own forum? it would be fun and i would put a lot of effort into making it a blast for everyone. i want it to be called Raggedy Android's Magical Mystery Detour.. pretty please with sugar on top [face_praying]

8. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Me too! Except I want to call it PirateofRohan's Adventure to the Land of Awesomeness!!!

9. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    This. The new forums are basically ready to go, with only some fine-tuning of features needing to be done and decisions needing to be made on whether or not to use some features we don't currently have.

What we're waiting on is for Philip's database guy to finish the data conversion so that all our posts, threads, forums, PMs, and icons will transfer over. Until that process is worked out, we can't really do anything but wait.

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I vote we go now and just start everyone over back at zero.

11. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I keep getting the gray box of doom when I try to send PMs for the past few days. I've already cleared out cookies and temp. files but it still happens with each PM.

Board System Error

A system error has occurred. The error has been logged and will be reviewed by the administrative staff. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Error:
    MESSAGE: c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\privatemessages\df3be7a2\956bb0ff\App_Web_fulltoolbar.ascx.b6f96604.gftc15v6.0.cs(205): error CS0433: The type 'ASP.controls_toolbar_boardfaces_ascx' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\privatemessages\df3be7a2\956bb0ff\App_Web_kdpigkmy.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\privatemessages\df3be7a2\956bb0ff\App_Web_qetqgw4q.dll'
    SERVER: IGNPRDAPPW64213
    SOURCE: System.Web
    URL: http://boards.theforce.net/PrivateMessages/SendMessage.aspx?usr=1334259&reply=Teh-Mole
    REFERRER: http://boards.theforce.net/PrivateMessages/View.aspx?pm=8129149
    AGENT: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; GTB6.6; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    IP ADDRESS: 97.85.179.181

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've sent you a test PM and it worked OK. GrandAdmiralStrife was having a similar error and posted over in the tech thread. (Didn't post the error message though.) I've never seen the error message you got but maybe Grimby will have a better idea when he logs in.

Edit - I've left a note in the Admin forum for Grimby to take a look at your error.

13. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    This is the wrong thread as well, by the way.

14. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Sorry, I accidently clicked this one instead of the tech thread. [face_blush]

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That would go over well. :p

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Don't.

17. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    sometimes the things you can't change end up changing you, Everton.

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    That sounds encouraging.:) How goes the database conversion? Partly done? Mostly done? Still scratching your heads?

19. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Okay, Morpheus.

20. Bob_Hinchliffe

Bob_Hinchliffe Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2011
    Now this just about takes the biscuit. I've only just joined up here and now you tell me that you're moving? Well, I'll not be paying again. I'm really not sure this is worth the money in any case. It's very confusing to navigate and my screen is completely ruined.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't really mind the move, or care when it's happening, but when is that #%@^%@^ "update your email address" notice going to be taken down??? Ruins the splendid new banner I made for the Senate.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It really doesn't seem like the "update your email address" section would go away until we've actually moved.

How soon is the move going to happen, anyway? It sounds soon. Thanks for all the work you guys have been doing on it.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    No firm date yet. It's whenever the database conversion process is finished.

24. KasperNymand

KasperNymand Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2011
    I just thought about a thing.

I've created my account here on TheForce.Net Forums yesterday, and you write, that you've already taken / got the "back-up", so what about my account?
    Shall I then create a new account, when we move to the new version of the TheForce.Net Forums, and what about all the threads and posts made in the meantime?

Or do you "close" the whole Forums, make the "back-up", and then use that to the new version, and open it to the public?

25. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    This is the plan, as far as I know. We might lose a couple of days, but we definitely haven't already taken a copy of the boards to import.