main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I spoke with Philip today. He says they needed to migrate the RS forums due to security issues and that they'll be much more prepared to finish our migration as a result. Cause for optimism, indeed.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Did Philip say when they were doing the Rebelscum move? I tried to get into their forums but they are just hanging for me. The main site comes up OK though.

Edit - I managed to get in so they haven't moved yet. It was very slow though.

3. LukeTano

LukeTano Jedi Master star 3

Jul 10, 2009
    So, have they moved already?

The scenery seems different in the TCW threads.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Look at the bottom of the screen. Does it still say IGN? If yes, then we have not moved.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Rebelscum hasn't moved yet. They have to get the new server to the production site and do some more testing, so it will be at least a week before anything happens there.

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    That and Grahame is on vacation this week.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - getting his break in before the moves!

8. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Will we notice a difference when the move happens?

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The new board software will have some different options. We've been deciding what we will and will not use. I'm not sure how much of a speed difference you'll notice. Appearance-wise we'll try to keep it looking as close to the same as we can. Our icons and banners don't have to move as they are on the TFN image server, not on IGN.

10. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    You will know! When you are calm. At peace. Passive...

Seriously though, even if you somehow miss the advanced notice we will give, and miss the several days of downtime, you will know we have moved because everything will have that "same, but different" feel to it.

You'll log on and see the boards using a familiar banner, but maybe the options in the header look foreign to you. You'll click to view someone's profile, but the page may be formatted slightly different than you remember. You'll go to your favorite board, but maybe you'll notice new graphics being used next to each thread on the list. You'll go to post a reply, but maybe the interface is different than what you remember.

Stuff like that.

Edit: Also, dp4m will not be able to log in because he refuses to update his email address and will therefore be lost in the move. Maybe that's a plus though. ;)

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note - Rebelscum have updated their main site. Head on over and take a look! Their forums haven't been converted yet - just the main site.

I think it will take some getting used to but I like it..

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Looks like they've taken a somewhat less-is-more approach to the layout. Not quite as graphics-heavy with the interface, more text linking. I like it, it's sleek. I've always favored a sleeker, simpler interface as opposed to some crazy Flash-scripted animated bonanza that takes forever to load and glitches to hell if your version of Flash isn't even remotely up-to-date.

13. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Nice! I wonder if TFN will be getting an upgrade as well.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
  16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I approve of that look :p

17. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I do remember! :D

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Ooooooooh, I miss that old school design.

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]

19. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    so anyways...

Grimby, when they actually cut us off...you got us ready to go?

From what I understand, we need a database dump, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Worst case scenario, they cut us off and we don't have the dump and lose everything. That would be terrible, but its looking more and more likley. So wtf is going on?

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    At the moment Philip's consultant is concentrating on the Rebelscum conversion for two reasons - it's a lot easier than ours because there is a conversion routine and also due to some security problems they have had. Once their forums are converted then he'll be free to concentrate on us. So far I haven't seen a date for the Rebelscum forum conversion.

21. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    but nobody uses Rebelscum

get the damn database, now. Stop mucking around with Phillip and IGN or whoever, and just get it. You don't want to be the people that couldn't do it and there is no more JC. Man up, its been a year

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    We wouldn't lose everything. We already have one full data export from last year. Worst case scenario is the JC would have to revert back to that.

IGN tells us we are only allotted one more data export of our forums. After that, they won't be obligated to do anything else for us. We aren't going to do that export until we have the conversion process down. That's where we stand.

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    By the time all this goes down, it will be time for the 2020 U.S. Presidential election.

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]

24. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I'm predicting 2016, personally. I'm an optimist. :D

25. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So, have we moved yet? No? Oh well.:p

I'm not really worried about losing the boards or information or all that, I'm more just kind of peeved that it's been over 16 months since it was announced and it hasn't been done yet. I realize these things take time, but they shouldn't take that much time. If Philip was willing to actually hire a consultant for the thing (like a year or more ago if I recall, but I'm not certain; either way he's been continuously paid since then, which is the point) then why has the consultant done much in the way of the actual forum conversion yet? Rebelscum conversion is nice regardless of the fact that I don't go there, but I just feel it should have ALL been done by the end of last year, which would have still been eight full months to work on it. The whole thing just reeks of inefficiency to me, and I realize I don't know all the details being a normal user, but that's also the way a lot of others with normal poster status feel too, I'd think.

I have every confidence in the people doing the conversion to do it right and get it done successfully when the time comes; I just wish they were doing things in what seemed to me to be a more efficient manner.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm surprised with IGN as well. They originally said we'd have to move due to cut-backs, right (I just looked at the beginning of the thread)? So wouldn't that mean they actually couldn't afford to keep us even if they wanted to? If they were hit hard enough that we actually have to move, you'd think they wouldn't be able to afford letting us take 16+ months on it. And if the situation has changed and that's why they can do it, then why are we moving?