main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    The UBB migration... I lost my reg date to that. :(

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Interesting. Missing where Wise came in. And I thought zerosleep was IGN staff?

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yes, zerosleep (aka God) was IGN staff. He left them some time ago for newer fields.

For those finally getting back in here, there was a move that led to the outage. It just wasn't our move. IGN moved to new servers. As a result, there was a planned outage. The IGN boards were back a couple of hours later. However, we weren't told. I tried to get online yesterday morning around 10am UK time and got the IGN 'pizza' screen. At that point I did some Googling around and found a couple of IGN threads referring to the move. I emailed Grimby but due to time zones it was around 5 hours before I got a response. (Grimby is in the western US). He in turn emailed Philip Wise who got in touch with IGN. Philip was told the new IP address to point boards.theforce.net to. At this point getting back on here is down to when your ISP does a DNS refresh and picks up the new IP address.

One thing I did (and I'm not sure it helped but I got in fine after I did it) was to remove any cookies for boards.theforce.net. In Firefox, go to Tools>>Options>>Privacy and that screen gives you an option to clear individual cookies. Clear any located in the boards.theforce.net folder.

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Tell Grimby that Johnny Cochran died 6 years ago.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    My research has been ongoing for several years.

6. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Lies!

7. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Any idea when we're moving yet? I miss my E-Mail notifications...

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not yet. Philip's crew is concentrating on the Rebelscum move at this point. Last I heard they were getting close to allowing user testing on that.

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Rebelscum is moving? Are we moving to the same place?

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yes. We will be moving from the IGN servers to Philip Wise's servers and from the IGN software to VBulletin. We will remain a separate site though - we won't be combined with the Rebelscum forums.

The Rebelscum demo forums are now open - please take a look at the Rebelscum move news thread here in Comms for more information and a link.

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I periodically poke a stick in here to see how 'The Move' is going. With this problem with new member accounts, does this light a fire under getting 'The Move' going?

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It does because IGN has already told us they will be moving to a new platform for their boards in the near future (think months, not years). They have also said they won't be doing bug fixes on the current system, and that includes the email problems. Once the Rebelscum move is done Philip and his crew will be expediting ours.

13. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Nevermind snowboards, people will talk for years of the IGN fiasco! :p

Good news that the gang will be moving onto us once they've got Rebelscum sorted though :)

14. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    A month on...

any new news...? :/

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Not surprisingly, we're waiting on IGN at the moment to figure out when they're going to export our data for us.

16. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    So the conversion stuff is all done? :D

17. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    *obligatory 'are we there yet?' post*

18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    SO what's this big news that Facebook is telling me that is coming tonight?

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    [image=http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/memes-hide-yo-kids.jpg]

Look for a new thread in a few minutes...

20. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Wow A Christmas present for the Community! [face_dancing]