main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I think there's some option to turn off all Annoying Features. :p

2. Yodasbadgirl1

Yodasbadgirl1 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2009
    Oh that's a little bit of work but it's not so bad, change is as good as a holiday and it might be fun to learn again from scratch. As long as I don't lose contact with my peeps I am fine with it.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Like Grimby said, we'll decide about new features after we get everything working properly, but from my own point of view... off, off, and off. :p

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Definitely off.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Aesthetically, the boards look fine as they are now, and work fine (aside from the occasional glitch). Thus, is there really a good reason to move? I dare for anyone to give me/anybody else an actual, solid reason for moving the boards. What a bunch of *********.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    How about IGN is kicking us out?

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Yeah, seriously, that IGN dude was using that lame old "polite mod-speak" that the mods here give to me all the time when they're trying to dance around a nasty truth. :p

8. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    That could be fun.

9. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Oh come on! You could easily do custom avatars. Just keep them the same size as the ones on here and have someone be in charge of keeping them clean, half the mods have 23413467 titles anyway. It would be the exact same as now and it isn't like we are all idiots.

Or would having a non-SW icon detract from the experience that is... boards.theforce.net?

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not worried about inappropriate avatars so much as annoying ones.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Just because we can change something, doesn't mean we should.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You should try and ask me next time. I don't dance around anything.

But yeah, Armen: as Grimby explained in the opening post (and I explained in my awesome 11 words version) we have no other choice.

13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    It's a SW-themed board, as much as we've kind of loosened up about that in recent years. SW-only avatars are one of the most vital things for keeping us tied down to that unifier, you know?

Anyway, looking at features...

"User Style picker"

???

"Pop-up notification when new PM received"

Please turn off.

"Private Message filing in custom folders"

[face_love]

"Global Ignore User ? When enabled, all posts by the specified user will be ignored/unseen by other members. Automatically added to the all users ignore lists"

[face_worried]

"Unlimited Moderators and SuperModerators"

???

"Joinable Public User Groups"

[face_worried]

14. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    It's a SW-themed board, as much as we've kind of loosened up about that in recent years. SW-only avatars are one of the most vital things for keeping us tied down to that unifier, you know?

Are you for serious?

EDIT
    Just because we can change something, doesn't mean we should.

Yes change is bad, I already addressed this in the MS update thread. Grimby you come off as a red-stater to me. Am I in the ballpark?

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The thing that would be much worse than custom avatars is enabling any sort of "ignore user" feature. I'm not sure why that's a good idea on any messageboard.

16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    The icons process will not be changing.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002

On second thought, maybe "ignore user" isn't such a bad idea.

18. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I don't think any sort of Ignore feature would be enabled in a million years but I have to admit I think the mods would be tempted by a brand, shiny new way to punish bad users, via Global Ignore. :p No one could interact with the globally ignored user, but he could still make posts that would be seen after his ignorance was lifted.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That'd be a user-based feature anyway.

That refers to moderators who only have power in specific forums, as opposed to globally. Our current system only supports the latter.

We don't know what, if any, changes we'll be making in that regard.

Uh-huh. What was it you were doing around the campfire the other night?

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    This is where I admit that I didn't read the opening post. :oops:[face_blush] Why are they doing such a thing? Regardless, though I wasn't around here when the boards switched from UBB to Snowboards, that created some problems (of which users still occasionally complain/whine about). This move will probably cause some sort of problem or problems, maybe not big ones, but problems nonetheless.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

21. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    And this is where you admit you still haven't read the OP.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    How about custom user titles for all? They do that at NoHomers. :p

23. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009

That is inevitable. I am sure people will complain about this move too, even if it is a smooth move. I am just happy that they are choosing to movie the boards instead of closing them down. That was an option and they did not want that to happen. So I am happy. :)

BTW, nice icon. ;) (I do prefer the blue over the green screen...it took 2 minutes to make it. I wish the current request was so easy, but I will not give up!)

24. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    more smilies to choose from...you know the important stuff. ;)

25. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I'll leave Grimby to the big stuff and just worry about a few little tech things:

From memory there is a feature like this in vB, and if not, it's not the hardest thing to create. There are though logistic and security issues to consider given it enables the spamming of inboxes.

User Reputation - already ripped the module out of the code during the last customisation attempt.

Post Rating - already ripped the module out of the code during the last customisation attempt.

Custom Avatars - not going to be enabled at the current time. The decision was made previously and will stand that in order to manage content on this site control over icons will remain in the hands of the forum staff.

User Style Picker - if it is an individual user-based one, it looks to be a new feature since the last time I have played with vB. Otherwise if it's the same then it's a global user-level style, which we have altered to be able to allow for specific user levels to have personal customisation of username. Have to look into that.

Pop-Up PM Notification - as I recall it is an individual user option, so people can have it as their own preference.

Private Message Filing - yes, there are a lot more features and things that can be done with PMs.

Global Ignore Users - already ripped the module out of the code during the last customisation attempt.

Unlimited Moderators and Supermoderators - basically we can have as many people as we want able to do various 'super-user' functions, and have more customisation over who has access to each of the functions and forums.

Joinable Public User Groups - User Groups are a feature on vB that allows for groupings of users. It is how things like the moderators are controlled, and will allow us to assign people to categories like "SW VIPs", "Former Staff", "Game Hosts", etc., but there is also the option for us to create groups that anyone can join (eg. Chewie Lovers Anonymous, Vader Haters, etc.) that can be linked to certain things, or not. We'll obviously be worrying about the first part from the start, but because the public join-able ones are new we'll have to look at their usefulness with what we do and how we want to handle them later on down the track.