main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Absolutely not. Remember, the original announcement came on the 31st, and many people read it on April 1st, thinking it was an AFD thing. As did I. Thus, that post of mine wasn't exactly, oh how should I say this, serious. Sorry. :) However, my beard will be up for shaving again in June if the Lakers make it to the NBA Finals and lose.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

2. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I am kind of excited about this, to see how everything transitions over. This is probably not worth saying, but if any help is needed, I'd be willing to offer up my time to you guys.

Question: Doesn't the largest board on the internet, in terms of post, use phpBB? I don't see why it would be much of a problem if given the right precautions. (Note, I am not advocating against vB, just saying.)

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    But you have some of us here who refuse to even venture to those boards for fear of getting hacked/viruses.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Absolutely not. Remember, the original announcement came on the 31st, and many people read it on April 1st, thinking it was an AFD thing. As did I. Thus, that post of mine wasn't exactly, oh how should I say this, serious. Sorry. :) However, my beard will be up for shaving again in June if the Lakers make it to the NBA Finals and lose.

Sorry, this is not an acceptable excuse for going back on your word when you got fooled :)

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't care. :p Not everything posted here in the history of the JC is 100% serious. Get over it.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    This is true, but don't you think GaiaOnline's forums are heavily customized and altered from the original phpBB code? I would think it would take a heck of a lot more people, time, and resources than we have available to do anything close to what they've done with their forums. I'd imagine they have an added layer of security over whatever phpBB normally offers in their software.

7. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Actually at times due to the amount of posts and users online the board goes down more times then I care to remember.

The only reason I know this is because I'm a mod on one and it goes down quite a bit. I wouldn't trust the servers on php boards with a ten foot pole. The JC sees a lot more then 200 users online all at once. There is no way the php can handle the traffic that we see here.

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Jedi Ben - merging and splitting threads is a feature available in vB.

As the continuing questions on phpBB it's security is an issue for me. The skill-set we have available is more suited to front end module alterations than trying to work on back end security issues. I'm more than willing to admit that I'd be hessitant about playing with the user portal and forum security modules as there are some major issues than can arrise if we screw those up.

9. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I remember six years ago the DLC had moved to a php, someone hacked in and destroyed the boards. They lost all the posts and had to start over. I would be very hesitant and would not highly recommend the boards be moved to PHP.

10. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Oh, I definitely assumed as much. I would assume any board of that size would need considerable amounts of security. Hence my "given the right precautions" statement.

JediFalcon: I was unaware of that fact, mostly because I've never actually posted on that board.

11. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    phpBB just isn't secure unless you have a whole host of webanarios sitting ready with their virtual fire extinguishers ready to come to the rescue 24/7 and even then there is going to be downtime. Years ago these forums went down but I cannot remember the last time they were down. I'm not as familiar with vB but from the little I do know it is better protected.

Just please don't ever go with Fireboards. :eek: :rolleyes:

12. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Let's keep in mind that a lot of times sites get hacked because people don't use secure enough passwords. A lot of horror stories about people's own private message boards happen because they fail to secure their admin accounts with strong passwords, or they use the same passwords elsewhere and they get stolen.

As far as the DLC, I know for a fact that back then all the admins used extremely strong passwords, and yet their phpBB forum still got hacked. They've used vBulletin since then and it hasn't been hacked to my knowledge.

13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I hope when the time comes you'll be giving users a fair warning so if they want to back up stories or things, they can do so. What about people with socks, such as fanfic posters who have shared usernames, will those probably be as safe as regular usernames?

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    ^Well, what's stopping you from doing that stuff now?

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Re: Halloween icons: attempting to get through those before the move. I'm going to try to speed that up a bit. (And I realize it's been a bit since the last round; I got hit hard after break.)

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Anything that's on the database will be ported over the same way. Nobody's going through and checking how active an account is before we transfer the data.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, I think that function could have revolutionary impact on the boards, if handled right - it could definitely be for the better. It might also show up what the dominant and recurring topics of discussion are on a board - which in most cases will be known to regulars, but will likely be more visible to Mods so hotspots are more easily spotted.

18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Erm... so are we moving or is this a big joke? I'm genuinely unsure.

EDIT: We actually are? Cripes?

Or are we?

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  20. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    We are, I forgot about the agreement we had with IGN until Grimby posted the reminder, so yes we are getting kicked to the curb.

darth_nemisis
    Well now you know the reasons not to trust phpb

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh well. I recall the test boards we had back in 2005 being okay to use. I'm sure that all the crap you see on other forums will be avoided here, and hope that we get fair warning to bid farewell to the old place.

22. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I've also run into a lot of spambots on a the Talon Intelligence Squadron board, which is a php board.

23. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, I had a phpBB myself (that I actually made look like IGNBoards) and had problems with spambots as well.

24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Good. Snowboards sucks. The UBB was much better. We could use smilies. We had icons. We could have spaces in usernames.

Crap. I'm so old I can't even make a good oldbie rant. :(

25. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Tell me about it, I lost track on the amount of spam I had to clean up on those boards.