main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're Moving v2.0

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 2, 2010.

1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    It sounds like vB boards are better than IGN, so this change might be good.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    it would be good to re-utilise the moderator / administrator distinction in the new boards. mods looking after their respective forums, with a select few admins overseeing the entire board.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Are you suggesting we don't do that now?

4. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    in theory that's how it works, but mods of particular forums currently do have the physical ability to moderate elsewhere, and they sometimes do if they feel the need. if there is functionality to limit mods moderating powers to their own forums only, then i would suggest using it (as opposed to making everyone admin).

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Ah, the old "some mod I've never heard of edited me when I know my mod wouldn't have" scenario.

We aren't going to be exploring the option. Moderators and RSAs will have the same abilities they have here. If a moderator is "overstepping their bounds" there are other ways to deal with it than to physically take their powers away.

6. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    well it's your decision, but in no way would you be "taking their powers away". mods currently are chosen to mod their forum. they shouldn't be "helping out" in other forums where they don't know the environment/community/feel of the forum. the only possible reason i can see for a mod to do so is when there is a crazy troll spree, which tbf is an extremely rare occurance these days and shouldn't be the basis of policy decision.

it's very common, and was the case before the move to IGN IIRC, for their to be a distinction between moderators and administrators. don't see why it can't be re-instituted here, or at least discussed.

7. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    There are many cases where moderators are asked to cover forums other than their own when their moderators are temporarily away. We also have many cases where a moderator may be reading a thread in another forum and sees a post that unquestionably requires editing, like when a post contains profanity or is a spamvertisement. In these cases I'd rather not require that mods go through an admin or some other notification system to get the mod of that forum to make the edit. It's much easier and efficient for us to have all moderators capable of editing anything at any time.

Are there cases where a mod may have edited something in another forum that they probably didn't need to? Sure. But that happens a heck of a lot less often than the other scenarios I mentioned above.

8. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I remember there were times during 3SA when all mods would be unavailable and there were some other great moderators who would step in and make necessary edits. Those instances were few and far between since 3SA generally had great coverage by the MS, but it was handy to get someone else to come in and enforce the ToS when needed.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I agree with Grimby here. I think in general, its better for mods to have the capability to step in elsewhere as needed (and there is a lot of "hey, can you check in on my forum while I'm gone for a few days? thanks!"

That said, there may be other uses for localized moderator powers - for example, FanForce may consider giving CRs some powers within their own forums. This is not to say that such will happen, but that's just an example of something that could be looked at as a possibility. Naturally, that decision would come down to the GSAs and RSAs.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Add me to the list of phpBB horror stories. Our fanforce's website and our Rebel Legion website is a neverending battle against the spambots.

11. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I have a question. I was talking to another member of my Fan Force about this and he brought up the issue of Watched Topic Notifications expiring. Is there an option in the vBulletin system where we can pick "No Expiration." Because some of the Fan Force Boards, even if they are slow, do get activity and sometimes notifications expire and I miss a lot. I would love to even have it where I can watch the entire FF. Sounds lazy but we post new things in there and then nobody knows. We have no CR for Nashville and though I would love to do the job and PM them about new threads, nobody has elected me CR. So.... Just wondering about that particular aspect of the new boards.

Thanks. :)

12. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Wow we are moving. And I knew about it ahead of times. Not like on my tenth birthday my family went to Walt Disney World without me cause I they forgot to tell me. I had to wait a week at my house for them to come back. I can't believe they would forget but they apologized and all was well.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    And there you have it.

14. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    About time!

BTW, don't go on saying that PHP boards are bad for security (but phpBB might be) - vBulletin is made with PHP, as well as the fact that PHP is quite possibly the most versatile web scripting language for stuff like this. A lot better than Microsoft's offering of ASP.NET that currently powers these boards.... :p

Also, don't forget to make the migration tool compatible with all operating systems - not just Windows. Some of us prefer less restrictive operating systems...

15. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Someone may have already asked this question and I just missed it.

If there is a gap between the time the these boards go offline and the transfer comes online, how will we know which internet address to go to? Will it still be: http://boards.theforce.net/board.aspx?brd=10006 or whatever the number of the board is that we visit? Or if we type that in, will it automatically switch us over to the new address?

Will it have the same name? [face_thinking]

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't know about links for specific threads and forums (one of the tech people will have to answer that) but the basic link will still be boards.theforce.net. The plan is for there to be something here even during the transition period, whether it be a message that says "We're moving; check back in later", a progress update on the move, or possibly even a small temporary forum.

17. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    We currently have no idea as to the time frames of how long we will be down for.

As to the addresses, the front page will remain boards.theforce.net. Everything else will change as at the very least the pages will have the php appendation rather than the aspx, along with a different server-side pagination structure.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Make it something like the IGN boards down chat room. I always enjoyed those. :p

19. -Kristie-

-Kristie- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2008

We could all just relocate to shinycouncil for a month or so. :p

20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I approve of this suggestion. :p

On the serious side. Hopefully everything goes accordingly and it won't be a month that we're not without forums.

21. Husion

Husion Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2010
    I'm new here. I am attempting to find the place for newbies to introduce themselves. Thanks! :)

22. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Welcome New Users

There's also the Community Forum (where there's no SW talk :p)

And depending on what your poison is, a bunch of other stuff from SW books, Fan Fiction, Costuming, SW movies, SciFi movies, Sports...etc., etc. Just check out the forums on the main page.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Husion, also please feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Right now there is a 20-post minimum in order to be able to send PMs, but you can post in this thread to get up to 20 posts to let you PM people :)

24. -Kristie-

-Kristie- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2008
    Rogue, did you just... mark your territory? :p

25. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I guess it's a good thing that I haven't moved all my favourites over from my old computer yet. I'll just have to go and find all the forums again that I had on my old computer.