PT Were Obi-Wan and Anakin ever friends?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Feb 16, 2013.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Luke and he is extremely brave in a certain kind of way.

But you can't expect everyone to act like him. Obi-Wan had good reasons for why he didn't attempt to turn Vader back to the light.
  2. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4

And he was proven wrong in the end.
  3. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    Yup - thank goodness. But good men are allowed to be wrong.
  4. Eryndil Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Apparently not! Lack of omniscience is now a sign of evil (or at the very least of inexcusable stupidity) [face_worried]
    lbr789 likes this.
  5. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    On the question of whether Obi-Wan and Anakin were shown to be friends, I think it's obvious from ROTS that something changed in their relationship after AOTC. They're definitely friends and (broadly) equals in the beginning of ROTS. This was just a snapshot of the tail-end of this stage in their lives, but it's clearly recognisable as a friendship. They care for each other fundamentally. They've both matured a great deal since their dysfunctional Master/Apprentice relationship ended.

There are still tensions in their relationship, though these are probably more evident in the novelisation than the film. One thing in the novelisation that is also probably implied in the film is the way Anakin feels a degree of outrage at Obi-Wan for whatever the Jedi Council does, Obi-Wan being a member of the council. As Palpatine encourages his distrust of the Jedi Order and Council, Anakin starts to see Obi-Wan as part of the establishment again, no longer on his side as much as he should be. Between the beginning of the JC/Chancellor intrigue and the parting of ways before the Utapau invasion, the old resentments come to the fore.

For his part, Obi-Wan tries to disassociate himself from the Council's decision to use Anakin as their mole in the executive branch. I got a real vibe of his affection for Anakin. A cold, heartless ******* he is not.

So, yeah. In general, the relationship between these two was part of what made ROTS what it was.

No. Obi-Wan is the ultimate embodiment of evil.

No-one should turn to him for help or advice, least of all Luke. He should have paid more attention to Palpatine in the Death Star throne room than he did to Obi-Wan.

It's all Obi-Wan's fault. And I really mean all of it.

/jk
    Eryndil likes this.
  6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    What would you call someone who saved your ass ten times?
  7. Garrett Atkins Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    But it's not shown, it's told.
  8. Eryndil Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    :p
  9. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    It was shown. Anakin saves Obi-Wan from the buzz droids out in the space battle. He also carries Obi-Wan's prone body down an elevator shaft.
    Last edited by QuangoFett, Feb 22, 2013
    Samnz likes this.
  10. Garrett Atkins Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yeah, because they're allies, not friends. An example of bactracking AOTC. Anakin is angry at Obi-Wan the rest of the movie.
  11. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    No. If he was simply an ally, Anakin would follow Obi-Wan's order to leave him to the buzz droids, just like he follows Obi-Wan's order to leave the clone pilots to their brutal dogfight.

Instead, he declares that he won't leave Obi-Wan behind and pulls crazy stunts to scrape the buzz droids off Obi-Wan's fighter.

If Obi-Wan was simply an ally, to be discarded when they become too cumbersome, Anakin would follow Palpatine's advice and leave Obi-Wan behind. He doesn't do this for the obvious reason that he's attached to Obi-Wan.
    Last edited by QuangoFett, Feb 22, 2013
  12. Garrett Atkins Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If Anakin were smart, he'd question Palpatine's advice. :rolleyes:
  13. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Flat out rejecting it sounds about right.

If you're referring to something else, there are plenty of other threads for that.
  14. heels1785 Community Moderator & JD Commish

star 6
    In Revenge of the Sith, they are certainly friends. "I'm not leaving without you master," is said with the same determination that Anakin has at Shmi's grave when he tells her he "won't fail again." Their exchange before Obi-Wan heads off to Utapau shows how much affection they have for each other as well- we had not seen anything in Anakin's character before that moment in time (continuity wise, in TCW and films) that would lead us to believe that he would genuinely apologize for his actions to anyone outside of Padme. In turn, Obi-Wan's response to that apology exhibits how deeply he cares for his friend, as well- by telling him he is a "greater Jedi" than he could ever be, he is coming full circle from comments like "You will learn your place, young one" and "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice" from AOTC.

All this said, when Anakin screams "I hate you," it sounds a lot like his rant from AOTC at the Lars homestead- deep down, there is still resentment, but that is a result of Anakin's uncompromising self-esteem and, many would say, "cockiness" from enduring his time as a Padawan, believing himself to be "ahead" of his master in many ways.

Great question, good thread as well.
    Last edited by heels1785, Feb 22, 2013
    QuangoFett likes this.
Moderators: Bazinga'd