main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're out of Rockets Sir!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JONJEDI, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    So whats wrong with lasers?

2. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    I have no idea...

3. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    If I remember correctly, the explanation was that the lasers could only be used for air-to-surface attacks. I don't know why that's so, however.

4. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Maybe because lasers would blow him into smithereens and they wanted him alive, and rockets would jut blow his engines.

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    If I remember correctly, the explanation was that the lasers could only be used for air-to-surface attacks. I don't know why that's so, however.

I always assumed it was due to the coordination of the targeting systems and alignment/placement of the laser cannons. Besides, a rocket that's programmed to follow a target is far more useful in an air attack than a laser that's easy to dodge and requires manual aim, which is what lends it to being better for air-to-ground attacks.

6. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    That's what I'm always thinking to when I watch that part, they have anti person lasers and beam lasers, when they just fire all the four beam lasers at a time, and the anti person lasers to, Dooku didn't stand a chance...

Oh, It's also stupit when Padme says "where gonna need some help"

There isn't time, Anakin and I can handle it...???? they don't have time for what, the can just call in another gunship, and blow up that hanger, Can't they?

And when Dooku is going to escape, You know he's going to his ship, and that he's going to fly away, why isn't there even ONE gunship flying around to follow the damn bastard? He's a sith, isn't it vital to kill him?

-Ricky

7. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Maybe I am completely off base here but I think it's a little throw back to the old serials -- "We're out of bullets" & that kind of thing were a common way for the writers to create nice little chases etc. in those shows, and this line is an homage to that.

8. NeedaQ

NeedaQ Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    Maybe he was able to reflect the lasers with his lightsaber. In Clone Wars (okay, it's not as realistic as the films) all the Jedi were able to defend big canon shots with their lightsaber too.

But in the german forums we guess that the laser canons aren't able to shot on flying targets.

9. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Here's an old parody from way back when from the AOTC board.

"It's Dooku! Shoot him down!"

"We're out of rockets, sir!"

"Use the laser cannons!"

"We're out of blaster energy!"

"Ram his speeder!"

"We're going top-speed, sir!"

"Call for back-up!"

"The radio is down!"

"Open the canopy and throw your helmet at him!"

"I have carpal tunnel syndrome!"

"Does this thing have external speakers?"

"Yes sir."

"Insult him!"

Clone Pilot: Insult him, Sir?

Obi Wan: Yes, do it!

(Pause)

Anakin: Do it now!!

Clone Pilot (over loudspeaker): Hey you, on the speeder. Your mother was a gundark, and your father smelt of gungan berries!

(Dooku flips him off)

Clone Pilot (to Obi-Wan): It's not working, sir.

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hahahahaha

11. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    [face_laugh] that's hilarious

12. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    There isn't time, Anakin and I can handle it...???? they don't have time for what, the can just call in another gunship, and blow up that hanger, Can't they?

From what I saw, they were the only ship in pursuit of Dooku. It's quite possibly there wasn't anyone close by to catch up - just look how long it took for Yoda to get there. They were trying to stop Dooku before he left and prevent the Clone Wars from beginning.

Unfortunately, they obviously failed.

13. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    That whole scene is a roll eye moment for me. Our heros played it very stupidly, no wonder Yoda shakes his head and rolls his eyes too at their stupidity.

1. call in an air strike once dooku reaches the hanger. BOOOM BLOW UP THE WHOLE THING. The ships aren't just doing nothing up there in space are they?

2. What the hell is dooku doing parking his ship allllll the way out in the middle of nowhere. He just came from a perfectly good hanger.

3. Just give the ship's lasers a try, throw a bomb, how about opening a window and trying to blast him?

4. Jedi? Hello? use the force, huh? You're getting shot to hell, how about using some tricks to send those gun things off course?

Obi-wan's my favorite PT character but I hate it how he's constantly made to look like a dope sometimes. No, you fool, you and Anakin can't handle this. AAwww ya see, now you just got completely pride-raped by Dooku. Oh... just got bested by a bounty hunter.. Ohhh... stop trying OBI just wait until rots.. *sigh*

14. King_Jinn

King_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    [face_laugh]
    Thats awesome yodahs-daddy. :p

15. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Forget lasers, the ship had 4 air to air rockets under the wing over Obi-Wan and Anakin's shoulder.

Here are some possible explanations that seem plausible:

Dooku's speeder was too close to the Gunship; the rockets wouldn't have time to arm themselves. They might as well throw their helmets at him.

Dooku's speeder was too small to target with any weapon system.

Due to the rushed operation, not all the systems on that Gunship were operational or the Clone pilots had not yet received proper training in their use.

Since Dooku's character was needed later in the film, GL did not want to have to justify how Dooku survived being shot down.

GL was not aware of all the other uses EU material would assign to the Gunship. We never see them use the lasers for airborne targets in the movie, only the twin missile launchers. We can't fault GL for not knowing someone else would say, after the fact, that the 4 laser turrets could be used for air targets as well as ground targets, IMO.

16. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    Classic, yodahs-daddy...

17. Anime_Nut

Anime_Nut Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    This didn't occur to me until CLONE WARS Chapter 21 aired. Has anyone considered the possibility that Chancellor Palpatine gave the clone army a subliminal command that prevented them from attacking any Sith Lords or other higher-ups? Obviously, droids are no big deal since they're replaceable. Dooku, on the other hand, may have been subconsciously considered immune by the clone troopers. "We're out of rockers, sir" could've just been total BS.

What gave me this idea was a similar situation in Chapter 21 of CLONE WARS. It seems to me that all of the clone troopers hesitated, allowing General Grievous to escape. Then, when Ki Adi Mundi gives them a direct order to destroy Grievous, the troopers just use the Jedi's well-being as an excuse to avoid pursuit.

Maybe Sidious, Dooku, and Grievous are all protected by something akin to Robocop's Prime Directive 4.

18. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    In the AOTC novel, the pilot's line was "We're out of ordinance, sir." That line would have made more sense than the film's line.

19. Count_Solidus

Count_Solidus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    Here's my take: The manned laser turrets have a limited range of motion. With the speeder's speed had they slowed down to pull up to fire them, the speeder would have gained too much ground or the turrets wouldn't be able to manually track them. If they had used the front mounted weaponry, there is no reason why Dooku couldn't have deflected the blasts with his lightsaber. We have no definitive proof on how much a lightsaber can take and the fact that Darth Maul carried no weapons on his speeder because he could easily wield his saber on the fast moving craft, makes for interesting debate on the subject of Dooku's ability to defend himself against attack. If we take this route, the fact that there were two Geonosian fighters to soak off weapon fire could also work.

20. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I always assumed that the Clones had secret orders not to kill Dooku. I mean Palps did order the clones so it wouldn't be good if they killed Dooku if he was trying to start his war. Also the Clones could have been lying to Obi-Wan, how is he going to know if they have missles or not, he can't check.

21. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    because george wrote it that way, also whats with the blue lasers?

22. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    because lasers can reflect off the surface and bounce off. they are light focused on a target. and rockets can destroy more accurately, they can cause an explosion. lasers wouldnt do him any damage. lasers do better damage on flesh, unless they are huge powerful lasers like 20,000 times, like the death star laser.

23. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    "In the AOTC novel, the pilot's line was "We're out of ordinance, sir." That line would have made more sense than the film's line"

and what does that mean? were they after planning permission or something?

24. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Huh?
    I think it means that they were out of ammunition.

I think I answered your post.

25. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    In the AOTC novel, the pilot's line was "We're out of ordinance, sir." That line would have made more sense than the film's line.

That line was actually in some prints of the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.