main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Were the Droids/Ewoks series a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by David_Skywalker01, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I was just thinking because I mean they werent completly interesting. I think if GL had given the OK the series would have had the " big three" and taken place after RotJ. The thing would be that they would (like the Marvel Comics) they would have not been permenent cannon and the Droids will probably suffer the same fate so what was the point of the series.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I thought Droids was great. Really enjoyed that cartoon series as a kid. And having Anthony do C3PO's voice certainly made it credible to me.

As for The Ewoks thing, that was pretty poor. ;)

3. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Yup, what g-fett said. I love Droids. Daniels' voicing and the cameos by movie characters make it all the better to me.
    I tolerate Ewoks. Hey, there are Stormies in the last episode! [face_laugh]

EDIT:
    Although, as you're asking 'what was the point' of something you obviously didn't like, I can't see any answers being posted here that are going to change your mind. The cartoons were aimed at the younger fans (especially Ewoks imo), and in that respect they worked very well. I seem to recall they had good viewing figures at the time too. Enough to make continued seasons of both.
    If you just mean "I didn't like the cartoon spin-off of a brilliant movie, so what was the point of it?", then you might like to check out the spin-off-cartoons of Back to the Future, Robocop, Highlander, Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber and Police Academy, and ask yourself if they were any better ;)

:) {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I don't think so - I think because they were cartoons there was a clear separation between these shows and the movies. I actually think the ewok movies were a mistake, and a cheap attempt at cashing in.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Lucasfilm cashing in???????? :eek: :eek: :eek: Wash your mouth out with soap and water!!!!!!!!! ;)

6. CloneTrooper_3000

CloneTrooper_3000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2005
    I don't think they were a bad idea at all. I loved Droids and still do. I don't care much for Ewoks (though I do own the DVD, along with Droids), but the girl who lived next door to me growing up sure did. Maybe it was just an attempt to cash in, but there was obviously an audience for it, so I don't have a problem with it.

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I liked them better as a kid, but as I've grown into an adult now I see the uselessness behind them. But I guess SW doesn't always have to have a purpose behind it; this could've been a big thing for Lucasarts as SW would have it's own little Saturday morning cartoon feel.

The Ewoks series was just brutal though... I'll stand by that till the end.

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Droids wasn't bad for a saturday morning cartoon. It had loads of restrictions at the time which aren't around today. Ewoks wasn't as good, because I think it was directed mainly towards six through 9 year old kids, and not 10 through 13 like droids were. Hence the reason why Droids had the pre title of Star Wars and Ewoks didn't. It was suppose to be familiarized with the two live action tv movies that came out at the same time.

Doesn't anyone know if there's a dvd set coming out for these? There's been no word that I know of.

9. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Ewoks I always felt were overrated. The Cartoon had some charm and they were fun to watch as a kid. But as an "adult" (In age not spirit ;)) I veiw it and while there is some nostalgia about the series I just find myself uninterested.

The Droids however, were what got me into SW to begin with. It was my first exposure to the series and I fell in love with R2. While vissiting my Aunt she asked me if I wanted to watch Star Wars...I asked what it was about (I was about 6 at the time) and she said that it had R2 in it. GIDDYUP! I was Blown away and instantly hooked. So Droids (particularly R2) always held a special place in my heart.

Years later when I watch them I find the silly episodes still fun, and love the intro (gawd that takes me back).

I was heartbroken when ROTS negated the series. :_|

10. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    RotS doesn't negate the series, mate ;)
    All it means is that there's an 18-year gap in which Captain Antilles 'loses' the droids, they have a series of adventures with R2 pulling that chick-droid at the Great Heep's pool, then Captain Antilles re-acquires the droids in time to lose them again over Tatooine. He seems so careless, you've got to ask yourself if he deserves them [face_laugh]

The Droids adventures are meant to take place at 15-10 years before ANH anyway, so the timeline still works :D

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yes. Just because the last time we see them in ROTS is on the TANTIVE and the next time we see them 18 years later in ANH is on the TANTIVE, doesn't mean that in all that time they never left the TANTIVE. I'm sure they had a lot of adventures in that period. :)

12. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    No but as stated it seems fairly silly (not to mention totally implausible) for Captain Antilles to lose R2 and 3PO for the 18 year gap and then regain them only to lose them again without it rasing any eyebrows. Trust me...I would love to see more of them in that period and have this totally rediculious story occur, just to have the two of them wander about. To me that makes a much better TV series...AGAIN! ;)

13. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    It's also silly for Boba Fett to keep turning up like the proverbial bad penny, but he does :p Go ahead and raise your eyebrow, I sure as hell do! This is SW and galactic-coincidence is an everyday occurrence! ;)

(and yes, it makes the implausible adventures much more entertaining!)

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Many epic story's have lots of plot coincidence's, though. I mean, if you read a really, really epic novel like War and Peace, you find lots of the characters cropping up again and again throughout the series.

To do an epic story that spans lots of characters over a long time, the only way you can keep the characters interwoven through the tapastry is through the series of hitherto inexplicable plots twists and coincidences.

15. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    They've had that Antilles loses the Droids thing long before episode 3. Heck, even before Episode 2. I have it in my Deluxe C3PO 12" figure with the weird-shaped book.

Droids is canon - it was produced by Georgey! And yes, it was an AWESOME idea because it gave me something Star Warsy to watch in the 80's on Satuday morning. Same w/ the Ewoks. Even though it was kind of lame, we all watched it anyways and sung the theme song.

So there.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I had the honor of providing the official explaination for how R2 and 3PO were separated from Antilles and the Tantive IV after ROTS so that the Droids cartoon and comics could take place, thanks to the What's The Story? feature on Hyperspace. :D

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/corlametonae/index.html

"During the early years of the Empire, Chief Petty Officer Metonae was supervising test launches of the escape pods when a pirate group from the Karthakk system attacked, forcing the Tantive IV to abandon its jettisoned pods.

It was soon learned thereafter that two units from the ship's droid pool, R2-D2 and C-3PO, were unknowingly aboard one of the lost pods. Responsibility for the loss of such valuable property fell on Corla's shoulders, and she was reassigned. Bail Organa made finding these two droids of imperative priority."

"...returning her to the Tantive IV in the position of Master Chief Petty Officer. She would note that the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO were recovered by Antilles, and both droids were instructed to never again enter an escape pod unless ordered."

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So, one our members has actually written an "in-universe" explanation for what happened? :eek: Very good. =D=

18. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    //hi-5's Quest.

Go you! I'm impressed :D Good work fella!

19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'm pretty sure you can find Droids on DVD now, its hard to find but Im almost 100% sure they did release it... however, ewoks I have no clue..

20. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    They released a DVD of each, but they were nowhere near complete :(

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was surprised that they used that part of my submission, so it was a thrill.

It's a shame the WTS feature will probably be ending this year, but oh well, I managed to get two submissions selected and contributed briefly to another, so I can't complain too much. It was great being able to contribute to official continuity.

Now all Dark Horse has to do is hire me to write a Droids prequel/sequel bookend story to depict these events properly for a Droids omnibus or something.. ;)

22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    When are they going to release the complete dvd on this series.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    It could be that not every single episode still exists? I know that with TV projects a lot of time things can get lost or destroyed.

24. Mungo

Mungo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2007
    :eek: :_|

But remember, this is Lucasfilm we're talking about here. They keep everything. Everything. [face_praying]

25. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    I second that, on both accounts. :)
    It certainly would have been fun to see the Droids project survive back in the old days. Now we know that it didn't went that direction, but nevertheless it would have been fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.