main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Were the Droids/Ewoks series a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by David_Skywalker01, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Aye. They released every episode on VHS (at the time, granted), apart from Coby and the Starhunters. So if Lucasfilm haven't got masters, I'd imagine CBSFox video have, somewhere.

:) {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. DSucrose

DSucrose Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2007
    I think the quality of the '97/DVD versions is too good to even consider any of the rest of it being lost.

I actually like Ewoks more than a lot of the others on this board, apparently. I prefer the animation and character design work more than I do on Droids.

That said, I think the pacing is ALL wrong on both shows when trying to edit them into movies, ESPECIALLY Tales from Endor Woods. By It makes the series a lot harder to watch, they were made for half-hours and should be presented that way. If you actually try to sit through one of those "movies" (of either series), going into it with the mindset that it is a movie, by the end of you want to chew your own leg off to escape your so bored.

I REALLY hope Lucasfilm puts these out complete. I love 'em.

So no, I don't think they were a bad idea.

EDIT: By the way, if there was a mid-80's cartoon about Luke, Han and Leia, it would have probably introduced some humongous continuity issues with ideas and stuff that would have inexplicably been dropped. At least with Droids and Ewoks, any stupid ideas in these corners of the galaxy are easier to never mention again, but still not be contradicted (so fans of the series can still put them in their personal timelines).

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Stupid ideas or no, they are in the official timeline, which is pretty cool.

TC

4. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I actually didn't mind the Droids cartoon. But, the Ewoks was a bit of a reach. I mean 3Po & R2 were well liked characters but the Ewoks were new and sort of campy for my taste.

5. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I liked those 2 shows a heck of a lot more than Inspector Gadget or the Care Bears.

6. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    The Droids and Ewoks toon shows werent a bad idea. Its just that us older fans are still a little pissed off that some action figures didnt make it in stores but I do remember seeing a couple in stores when I was a kid

7. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    If Cartoon Network made "Droids" today it would probably work very well.

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I have a question. Why is it that no one in the Official boards wants to answer my question on the possible future release of the Ewok/Droids cartoon series? It is really the last piece of star wars EU material we don't have. When you really thik about it. I mean we have the clone wars cartoon series, they were shown in the cartoon netwrok an then we got the dvd's. Why not the older stuff? Does anybody have any info of a possible relaease?

9. Mungo

Mungo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2007
    Because no one really knows. I too love those series and wish to see them in their complete uncut form on DVD. I asked Steve Sansweet about this at CIV when he was giving out the "I saw it" pins during the film marathon. He told me that the '04 DVDs were made up of George's favorite episodes that he cut together himself (basically a "best-of" DVD). And as far as a complete release goes, he said that was more of a "George question", but that if the continued fan support is there for such a release, it is likely they will release them sometime in the next few years, in light of the upcoming 3D Clone Wars and live-action series.

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well that sounds like a pretty reasonable answer/hint from Sansweet. Who would have thought it? [face_laugh]

11. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    I enjoyed the Ewoks cartoon more than Droids when I was younger. Watching the dvd sets, I like them about the same now. Ewoks was the more popular show and lasted two seasons, while Droids lasted just one. I'd like to see some full dvd season sets released. I don't think they did a good job of promoting these last releases. I also wouldn't mind seeing some new figures released from the shows to coincide with them. I thought the Ewok character selection for the toys in the 80's was pretty poor (only 2 Ewoks, but 4 Duloks).

12. Mungo

Apr 30, 2007
    Oh man, those vintasge figures are very rare and AWESOME. At the CIV aucdtion, they were priced in the thousands, IIRC. :eek:

13. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    There was a proto for Mungo from Droids that was selling for over 3,000 the last I looked on e-bay (not sure what it finally went for). I would like to see new figures particularly of the protypes (like Mungo and Chirpa) and some never done figures (like Kneesaa).

14. Mungo

Apr 30, 2007
    I saw that. It eventually sold for a little over $4,000.

15. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130118346418&rd=1&rd=1

Yup, scary money [face_worried]

16. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Mungo- thanks for the info buddy. It's a hell of a lot more than what I had. So give or take, if the fans keep asking for it, we might get it. Or if the new clone wars cartoons series /live action does good they might release it. They should, and I hope they would. I mean just about every other type of animation is little by little gettig released. Believe it or not the Ewoks cartoons, especially the second season was pretty interesting and good. Very bright colors, and the last episode, where that dude shot at the Emperor's shuttle was pretty good. I just think that as Star Wars fans, we should have this. Heck we got the over the top clone wars cartoon series almost right away.

17. Mungo

Apr 30, 2007
    Agreed. And remember that last year Paramount finally released the long-awaited complete Star Trek animated series in an excellent DVD set. So it seems way past due for Lucasfilm to put out excellent DVD sets of the complete Star Wars animated series Droids and Ewoks. [face_praying]

18. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    yeah, I forgot about that. The animated series for star trek was very good

19. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Not that I'm a trekkie or anything, but didn't they use the real actors (Shatner, Nimoy, etc) from the show for the voices on that?

20. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    yeah they did, and for the time period that they came out were pretty realistic and good

21. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Yeah, most (not all) of the original actors were involved in at least some of the episodes. Also, if memory serves, Walter Koenig (Chekhov) and another crew member (i think either Nichelle "Uhura" Nichols or James "Scotty" Doohan) did many of the alien species' voices as well.

It was a surprisingly good cartoon adaptation of the original series; i beleive there were even a few episodes that were sort of sequels to the original episodes (tribbles, Harry Mudd, etc).

22. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    I guess if you love Star Trek than it'd be a treasure trove of goodness for you. Unlike that really dumb Planet of the Apes cartoon!

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I liked both series and would love the complete collection on DVD!

24. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    Droids = good
    Ewoks = bad
    And that's all there is to say about that.

25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I used to watch these shows when they were out circa 1985/1986 and really liked them both - I thought both shows were above average, and the animation company used (Nelvana?) was exceptional for the time.
    I would pay good $ for a complete DVD set of the Ewoks and Droids cartoon series, if it ever comes out. I would especially like to see the later episodes of the "Ewoks", since I missed those on TV.

What some people may not realize is that when this show came out in 1985, it was during the "dark times"; there was not a lot of new material out there for SW fans at this time - ROTJ had come out two years earlier, The Marvel comic was winding down and the later issues weren't that great (it ended in '86), and there were very few books out (Heir To the Empire was years from being published).
    So, it was cool to see SW being continued in some form, especially one with such high quality as these cartoons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.