main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Were THE GREAT CLONE WARS Any More Brutal Than THE GALACTIC CIVIL WAR?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by LottDodd, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    The Prequel Trilogy has Dealt More with the Consequences of War than the OT Did in that the Original Trillogy Basiclly Dealt With its More Heroic Aspects...

Naturally The EU Has Followed Suit, Nearly Everything I Have Read or Seen of The Clone Wars Has Been Quite Grim Indeed.

Were the Attrocities Committed by Both the Seperatists and the Republic Greater than the Attrocities Committed by the Empire, In It's Full GLory, In Supressing of the Uprising Against it's Will?

Did Dooku's Droid Army Inflict More Suffering on The Worlds they Controlled than Vader's Stormtroopers?

Were the Clone Wars More Widespread than the Rebellion to Overthrow the Empire?

2. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I'd estimate that since the Clone Wars were fought by two full-bodied governing bodies
    In terms of scale, I'd say the Clone Wars were way way bigger. Compare Geonosis to Hoth. Huge. But I think the Civil War brought about more change.

Edited by TWD's request

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    TWD: Your highlight didn't work. I thank you :mad:

4. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    the clone wars were far more destructive than the civil war.

in the clone wars, 2 soverign bodies are waging conventional warfare with thousands of star systems on each side.

the galactic civil war was more of an insurrection against an establishment. more hit and run style combat without long, costly engagements.

5. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Awww geez...! I'm sorry! I meant to preview it before I posted, but just forgot! Well at least you know I did try!
    I'll get a mod on it pronto!

6. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Yes, but keep in mind the Republic didn't have to use actual citizens. The Clone Wars lacked a 'human' element, as clones were fighting droids. The Civil War did, as actual people volunteered for the Rebellion, and many friends and family members were split apart. The Battle of Hoth shows real people dying, not some clones from a lab.

7. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    TWD: That's OK, I already forgot ;)

Maybe the Clone War involved more civilized worlds, but the Civil War concerned more citizens.
    I don't know if I made any sense there, but as BaronFel said, there were actual citizens involved in the battles, not droids and clones. Also, the Empire had control over the entire galaxy. It was much bigger than the Republic.
    The Civil War was also a rebellion against an evil Empire, while the Clone War was an evil rebellion against a good Republic. I think that the Clone War feels more focused. It's concentrated on the Separatist worlds, while the Galactic Rebellion rises here and there throughout the galaxy.

Hmm, strange post. I hope you got something out of it.

8. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Still These Battles Did Not Just Take Place Between Clones and Droids... The two Superpowers Often Clashed on Inhabbitted Worlds with Indiginous Populations. Droid Occupation and Clone Occupation would both have a Cold way of Dealing with "Civilians" in this war...

9. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Also with the Civil War, a great deal matters with your view on the EU and a very distinct point.
    If you follow Georgy, then half the side during the Civil War was clones. If you follow EU, then only one or two were clones and the rest were recruits :p
    As for the Clone Wars involving no real people, the clones and droids were commanded by people. Jedi on the battlefields and commanders etc in space. Plus, you have the civilian casualties to think about.
    This really is a tough call.
    In the end, the Galaxy lost more with the Clone Wars because the Sith took over. And the Galaxy certainly gained more with the Civil War as balance was brought to the Force.

On a personal note, this is tough for me to argue with as I really like the Clone Wars Campaigne(sp) EU, but don't really get much into the Post RotJ EU as the galaxy wasn't even liberated with RotJ.
    So, in my mind, I can choose one and not the other, but with an argument it doesn't work that way at all.

10. fosh-bantus88

Oct 27, 2003
    since when are cloned human beings not human beings? :confused:

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd say the clone war. Look at the marked change in appearance between the start of Episode II and when we see the galaxy post-clone war in Episode IV. It's like Europe pre-WWII and Europe in 1945.

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    since when are cloned human beings not human beings?

Since they were CG ;)

13. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    One of the things I like about EU are the stories involved in the Civil War. Like Soontir Fel being 'forced' to join the Empire, seeing his two best students defect and eventually defecting on his own. Or Veers' son (or other relative?) who served the Alliance.

14. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    If you go by the EU, the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion is the worst the galaxy had seen since the Sith jousted with the Republic for power.

If you were to judge between the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War, the Clone Wars would be the one. It consumed lots of worlds, but I don't think we even know the full scale of the Galactic Civil War. The Empire was notorious for Base Delta Zero and who knows how many planets were the victims of orbital bombardment by Star Destroyers?

I'm not sure if "Good" would be an apt tagging for the Republic, given that the ruler of the Republic is slated to declare the entire galaxy his fiefdom and himself its monarch.

15. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    How Does the Destruction of Alderaan Rank in the Attrocities in Both Wars..?

16. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    Depends. A comparison could be made between Alderaan and the Lusitania from WWI.

17. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    Well, in the Galactic Civil War, Alderaan would rank among the highest, though in the EU, there have suggestions that the Empire carried out Base Delta Zero on a number of planets, like the race of Ferroans or something.

As for the Clone Wars, no one knows. George Lucas kept that era pretty vague.

The biggest losers of the Clone Wars was the Jedi though...

18. Gothic_Yoda

Gothic_Yoda Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2003
    How Does the Destruction of Alderaan Rank in the Attrocities in Both Wars..?

I think that the ENTIRE eradication of a culture(s) has to be the most heinous thing the galaxy had ever seen. There were probably hellish prison camps in both wars, but to have an entire planet destroyed on a whim is something noone there had ever expected.

I'm sure that their were plenty of Republic and Seperatist cruisers capable of orbital bombardment that could lay waste to cities and settlements, but I think the death toll swung from the Clone Wars to the Galactic Civil war greatly in just that one act.

GY

19. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    The Battle of Hoth shows real people dying, not some clones from a lab.

Except the stormtroopers. :)

Also, wouldn't the Clone War be considered more of a "civil war" than the OT Civil War? After all, you have a Seperatist group called the Confederacy trying to break away from the Republic, much like the US Civil War. Whereas the OT Civil War is more like WWII(fighting against a fascist government)

20. fosh-bantus88

Oct 27, 2003
    The Battle of Hoth shows real people dying, not some clones from a lab.

i still fail to understand what makes the life of a human born in the womb superior to the life of a human born in tubes.

21. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    I really don't want to get controversial here, but IMO, it's simply harder to feel 'sorry' for the clones. The fact that they were bred simply to destroy is pretty disheartening, but knowing men with families and such were fighting in the battle gives it a 'human' element.

Just my opinion.

22. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    The Clone Wars are much more of a Civil War than the Insurrection of the Rebel Alliance

I'd say the CIS is a lot like the Confederacy of America during the American Civil War. While the Rebel Alliance is more like the French Resistance during WW2

23. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    During the Great Clone Wars the Sith Controlled both sides of the War... Making for more Heinious Actions taken by both sides of the conflict.

24. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    However I Believe Palpatine's Whithering Influence over two Decades on the Galaxy at Large Whithered Most of the Resistance away before there even was a "Rebellion"...

25. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The Clone Wars is fought all over the galaxy by two strong forces. Planets are leaving the Republic and joining the CIS. The CIS have one of the largest militaries in the galaxy. It is a fair matched war. The wars are fought on many planets at the same time. There are billions of small conflicts as well as gigantic battlefields. While this is the larger and more devastating war, there can be only one winner, Palpatine.

The Galactic Civil War is fought between the all powerful Empire and New Order and they are fighting a small band of rebels who are fleeing across the galaxy and own a few space ships. In the end this war is a much more minor conflict. However the results of this war have a greater effect on galactic history. So this has a greater a greater historical significance.

-Seldon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.