main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Were the jedi wrong?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RockmeAmidala, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockmeAmidala

RockmeAmidala Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2005
    i have the idea that maybe indeed the jedi were on the wrong side during the clone wars. The separatists did indeed break away becasue of corruption, greed in the senate. Plus there was the sith that Dooku told Obi-Wan about on Geonosis that was leading the republic(palpatine) The jedi are supposed to fight for justice and the republic was obviously not just at the time of episode 1 and II. And eventually look what the republic turned into, the empire. Where the separatists the good guys...interesting concept...............DISCUSS

2. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    Are the Seperatists good for conquering innocent worlds?

3. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Well, the CIS was being controlled by the same Sith Lord as the Republic. Plus they were being headed by a bunch of greedy coprate guys, so if they did form the new government the same corruption would take place.

4. OMoT33

OMoT33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    Being sworn in as a Jedi means swearing to protect the Republic. Obi-Wan - "My allegiance is to the republic - to democracy!" Which was definitely was not the seperatists point of view and while the democratic portion of the republic was being stripped away, it still served as a government, just one that would collapse at any second.

5. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    The problem is that the democracy the Jedi swore to serve was no longer alive
    in the Republic. The Jedi should have departed from the capital when they
    realized the dark side clouded Coruscant.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I think ultimately the Jedi were on their own at the very end. The Republic they vowed to serve had grown seedy and corrupt and was being ruled by a vicious soon-to-be dictator. Now, hypothetically, if the Jedi realized that corruption and joined the Seperatists (thinking along the lines of Padme's statement that maybe they were fighting on the wrong side for the wrong reasons), the Jedi would again be fighting for the wrong cause since the Seperatists, who initially seemed as if they were fighting for just causes, actually turned out to be greedy warmongerers under control of the Sith. Finally, had the Jedi chose to break off from both factions and fight on their own means, they wouldn't have lasted long since their numbers were so small.

Whether you think the Jedi were right or wrong in their line of thinking, their Order was doomed ever since the time of The Phantom Menace. Poor little Jedi dudes :(

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The Jedi could have pulled a Sith and withdrawn from the galaxy, but they'd basically be abandoning it.

Was the Republic corrupt? Well, the Galactic Senate was, and it was ruled by a Sith Lord. Was the Confederacy corrupt? Well, the main council of the Separatists was, and it was ruled by a Sith Lord.

Yet there were billions of people in the galaxy who were innocent and needed to be protected.

But what were the Jedi supposed to do?

As ST says, the Jedi were doomed.

8. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    It's too bad there weren't more Jedi, because I think if they did rule the Republic, it would have been better for the people. Atleast, I think so.

9. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    if the jedi were wrong then they would be working for the dark side. they obviusly made a mistake with anakin but not in the long run

10. RockmeAmidala

Aug 8, 2005
    well in the last of the jedi novels, the planets that were the old separatists planets were now the "good"guys in the novel and obi wan was helping the planet and its leaders

11. DarthQuellonis

May 22, 2005
    It also depends on what your prespective of things is.

12. Ruler_of_the_Jedi

Ruler_of_the_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

May 31, 2005
    I suppose it depends on the point of view, but at the same time, it was the seperatists who were wrong.

13. DarthQuellonis

May 22, 2005
    I agree, just because a government is corrupt doesn't mean you should go to war to fix it.

14. jedimaster11

jedimaster11 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2002
    Of course they were. Hindsight is 20/20...

But seriously, no. They were duped, that's all. You're making the seperatists sound like the rebel alliance. The seperatists were led by Sith Lords..one on the front lines, the other behind the scences. There was no "noble" idea to them leaving the Republic..only greed and lust for power. So the answer would be no, the Jedi weren't wrong with the concept of fighting for the Republic, which they were sworn to protect. They never questioned the motives of the war, just the motives of the leader of the Republic, which obviously they were right to worry..

"The separatists did indeed break away becasue of corruption, greed in the senate." Not true-Sith lies. They were all part of Lord Sidious's plot, although they were never let in on the full extent. The seperatists were greedy and corrupt. The fact that Sidious/Palpatine was in charge of the Republic did not mean all of the systems were corrupt.

[face_peace]

15. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    i don't think the jedi were wrong - they were doing what they were sworn to do. and once they knew what was up with palps, mace took a crew to arrest him. as it turns out, they would have been just as bad off to jump sides, because as others have already said, both sides were being run by the same sith lord. between a rock and a hard place, so to speak.

16. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    No, they weren't wrong but in going to arrest the Chancellor, the Senate should have been informed first before they arrested him, whether they were under the influence of Sidious or not. Sidious used this as a way to topple the Jedi.

17. Hyperion51

Hyperion51 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    They may not have been wrong. They where simply tricked very, very good.

Even if they did realize they where fighting on the wrong side and/or for the wrong reasons, by the point of the Clone War, either side would have been just as bad as the other. With the Seperatists, they knew that they would be dealing with thugs who stood for everything the Jedi stood against. With the Republic, they knew they had a few supporters and friendly governments.

The only real way the Jedi could have avoided the trouble aside from killing Sidious would be to have packed their bags, and got the heck out of Dodge 30 minutes ago. Of course, if they did that, Sidious would have gained complete control that much sooner, and all of the Jedi would have ended up on Coruscant's Most Wanted.

Basically, it was a choice between a rock and a hard place, and a minefield of nukes in between.

18. RockmeAmidala

Aug 8, 2005
    i actually believe that count dooku was truthful to obi wan, dooku knew obi wan woudnt turn to the dark side and dooku would double cross sidious in my opinion

19. RockmeAmidala

Aug 8, 2005
    it would have been interesting at about the time between aotc and rots that the jedi parted from the republic and became their own force but not such thing happens

20. RockmeAmidala

Aug 8, 2005
    its kind of interesting how yoda said that the darkside clouds everything and still not believe there were any sith, therefore blocking him from seeing palps

21. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    RockMeAmidala... Triple Post?!?!?!?!
    (I love that username by the way! :D )

I agree with wat TheCRZA said up above. The democracy was gone, they should have pulled out from the politics and gone to live on New Holstice or something, where they would still help out but have no real side, like the Bounty Hunters Guild.

22. Alanikan

Alanikan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    The Jedi were tricked REALLY well. Just think: When Palpy made them all Generals and gave them command of thousands of Clones, the Jedi probably thought it was a vote of confidence. In reality, it was Palpy surrounding the Jedi with thier eventual assassins. Genius !

23. UltimateObi-Wan_987

UltimateObi-Wan_987 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    I don't think the Jedi were wrong; they were tricked. They had been led to believe that when they fought against the Separatists, they were fighting the enemy. In all reality, they were fighting the Republic's last hope. It's not that they had chosen the wrong side; they were just made to believe that the side they were fighting for was the side they agreed with.

24. RockmeAmidala

Aug 8, 2005
    is it not strage that trickery was so easy on the jedi, that they were MADE to believe that the seperatists were the enemy?

25. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    All valid points true..but what about the conversation between Mace/Yoda/Obi in AOTC.
    Arrogance was a heavy factor in the Fall of the Jedi.

If you've been in power and been in control and faced no real opposition for thousands of years. I think your guard would be down rather low and their oversight became their downfall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.