main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Were the PT trailers misleading?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Alpha-Red, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000

Now that's a good point. However, in the case of the prequel trilogy trailers and especially the first TPM trailer as well as the ROTS trailers, there are directly misleading elemenents. The TPM trailer clearly doesn't give you the impression this is a flat, uninspired kiddie movie with long lulls between the action, nor does it give you the idea of just how much Jar Jar Binks is in it, and how gruesome he will be. ROTS operates on the opposite, with giving the impression of far more Darth Vader than there is in the film. When trailers are made this way, it seems quite obvious that the trailers are designed to lead people into the cinema - yes, of course, that's what trailers are for - but based on trailers that don't match the actual film. The obvious thing, of course, is that the marketing people at Lucasfilm realized no one would show up if the trailer reflected the screentime of Jar Jar Binks, or vice versa with Vader.
    And while I can understand that this is done for crappy movies with a few cool bits in it, I can't accept it from the sequels to the best movies ever made (Sw, ESB, RotJ).

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002

Onca again, this is entirely all your opinion on the film and no matter what thre trailers showed i feel you would still complain, imo.

I and many others find the TPM to be nothing like you describe.

3. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    True but many more would agree. He's not wrong, just has a different opinion.

The trailers were very well made but gave away a bit too much. The Phantom Menace was pure nostalgic stuff I think, showing the droids, Yoda, lightsabers and all that, even Jabba who had no real importance in the film at all.

4. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Eh, that was pretty blatant bashing. And there is a basher's sanctuary. I tend to agree with solo77 on this one. If you're going to ban me for that, so be it.

Bashing in-and-of itself isn't against the rule, and -- Agh! So help me, you guys do not run this forum, Strilo and I do, and if you don't mind being banned, fine, we don't mind banning. And if you have a problem with how we run the forum, you take it to us in PMs, to Comms or to Sapient. If you continue to argue it in these movie forums threads, it'll be ruled (and dealt with) as thread derailment.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Here here. What is and is not allowed here is NOT up for a vote by the masses. It is spelled out by the TOS for the moderators to interpret and act upon. I will NOT see people making generalizations about fans and why they should or should not be allowed to post here. The poster in question happens to LIKE the OT as well as many aspects of ROTS. He merely hates two of six films. He is still a fan and will be treated with respect. Those who fail to do so will be punished.

6. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Trailers are always misleading. I actually like the fact that the PT trailers weren't as bad as the films. You can watch them and make up your own version in your head.

7. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Now, to get back on topic ( now that the mods are done asserting their authority[face_peace]), I'll just say this; I agree that the PT trailers were some of the most exhilarating experiences I've ever had in the theater. So maybe the PT wasn't the second coming or anything like that, but in my opinion, I find the prequels to be greatly entertaining. If anyone thinks they saw the new Star Wars film just because of the trailers...well, that seems a bit misleading.

8. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I never found any of the Star Wars trailers to be misleading. Compared to other movie trailers, I feel , they're the only ones to actually live up to their cool trailers.

9. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    The thing I think was most misleading was that that Episode II banner that showed Anakin standing back to back with Padme holding a red lightsaber.

10. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    It is all about respecting each other's opinions. Not just posting in here to stir up trouble.

Look, the PT trailers are awesome, but I am part of the group that thinks the PT is good. I like the OT better overall, but I'm glad the saga turned out the way it did.

11. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    It is all about respecting each other's opinions. Not just posting in here to stir up trouble.

And who in the last few posts has been trying to do this? :confused:

12. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Apparently me, for liking the PT and expressing that in the PT forum. Sorry. [face_plain]

13. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Just relax dude. [face_peace]

14. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Right back at you [face_peace]

15. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    That's exactly right. Although the ROTS trailer was my favorite, it was darker thatn the movie itself. I was all hyped up when i saw it but when the movie came out it wasn't nearly as dark and desperate as the trailer. I thought that the trailer was better then the movie.

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Mhh, not especially. I thought the ROTS trailer in particular did a good job of explaining what was going to happen in the film.

Now, if you want some confusing slop, go watch the original trailers for IV-VI. I'm not even sure how these films had an audience based on them. :p

17. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    So true. Really, trailers are always a lot of fun because we can imagine these limitless possibilities. Yet, when we see the film, the possibilities end, and we see the actual product. In the case of ROTS, I think the trailers showed just enough. And yeah, the OT trailers are hilarious. It shows you how different things are now in movie making, or more accurately, marketing.

18. obi_wanmeister

obi_wanmeister Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    I didn't mind the trailers for AOTC and ROTS, because they were good movies. the TPM trailers hyped a movie that was basically garbage.

19. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    In your HUMBLE opinion, of course...[face_peace]

20. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    It's all opinion. :)

21. Kebis

Kebis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    Now this is a misleading trailer:
    http://waxy.org/random/video/shining_redux.mov

22. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I didnt find any of them misleading, then again, its been awhile since I have seen them, but I also remember not thinking about what the trailers sadi after I saw the actual film.

23. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Kebis,

That was hilarious! [face_laugh] Where did you find that?

24. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    To me misleading I would say no. Getting me happy to see a new Star Wars film? Well yes they made me very happy. I don't really feel they were misleading at all. They did what they need to do. Same with the LOTR trailers. They got me ready to see moives I could not wait for. :) Now if only other movies would do the same thing. A long with said movie being good.

25. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    :rolleyes: God forbid someone forgets to add IMHO...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.