main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT We're we meant to dislike Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 9, 2015.

1. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    Do you think thats one of the reasons why Anakin is practically unbearable in AOTC? We're they trying to get us to understand what the Jedi Council sees in him?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    We're not meant to dislike Anakin. Lucas had Anakin as he is because that was part of Vader's backstory, before they were made into the same man. Back when Vader was separate from Anakin, part of the reason for his turn was that he felt that Obi-wan was holding him back from his true potential. So Lucas was keeping to that. Showing that they were friends, but they also had issues regarding Anakin's training and discipline.

3. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    I feel like the TCW Anakin was the character we were meant to see in the Prequels.

The problem was the following: Instead of seeing a cool Jedi struggling with inner turmoil, it comes across as an annoying Jedi who whines about everything.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    TCW didn't help with that in the least. He still is arrogant, doesn't listen, headstrong, reckless. I don't know why GL decided to make Anakin so unrelatable and unlikable. All I know is he did and the character and the PT suffers majorly for it.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Kind of hard to empathize with Anakin throughout the PT imo. Okay 9 year old Anakin, yes but completely pointless because AOTC Anakin is 10 years older and completely different. I like ROTS Anakin but too little too late.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The way I feel about ROTS Anakin is the way I feel about anyone that I care about who is behaving as stupidly as possible. In AOTC, he has a few fun scenes and a few scenes that remind me of when kids that I've worked with pout/whine/have tantrums because they aren't getting their way, and my response is "Sooooo...how's that working for you?"

TCW Anakin is the Anakin that I could actually hang out with. I like PT Anakin but more in a maternal "You need to shape up so that you can have friends and not lose your job" kind of way, not in a "You're cool and fun and someone I can spend time with when I want to relax" way.

I don't think we're meant to dislike him, but I think Lucas went overboard in showing Anakin's whiny petulance to demonstrate "Dark Side foreshadowing" without realizing that most people who view the PT probably already know that he turns to the Dark Side, and even if they don't...foreshadowing his turn to the Dark Side is less important than making sure the audience actually cares that he turned to the Dark Side.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The reasons you would probably cite as those for disliking them are more than likely the reasons I not only like him, but closely relate to him

Andy Wylde, mikeximus and mes520 like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Whiny petulance? That's the reason I hear most often.

9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    That's one, yes

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK. Genuinely curious--how does that make him more likable?

It never bothers me when a person has real problems and needs to vent, either because they need help finding a solution or because venting for a few minutes makes them feel better/less alone.

But in Anakin's case, it seemed like he was not so much looking for perspective or commiseration or a solution, as he was looking for attention. And he wasn't going to stop whining about his problems or try to gain perspective because then no one would pay attention to him anymore.

The Lars garage scene? He had every bit of my sympathy there. The scenes when he was whining to Padme about Obi-Wan being overly critical or about being in charge of security? I was just glad Padme set him straight, and that he cared enough about impressing her to listen.

The desire to be miserable is what I have little patience with. And why, dictatorship comment aside, we needed more meadow scenes. Or smartass comments about being late because he couldn't find a speeder he liked.

Darth Koo likes this.
  11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't get what so unbearable about him. His complaints about Obi-Wan, while a bit melodramatic, had a lot of validity to them. Obi-Wan is overly critical of Anakin.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No, he isn't Anakin never listens to a thing he says just gripe, gripe, gripe Ani *earned* censure.

13. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    anakinfansince1983 Dunno. I just like what I like and relate to whatever I feel I do. I feel no need to psychoanalyze myself. I just roll with whatever gives me the optimal viewing experience

Andy Wylde and mikeximus like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So do I, I was just curious as to whether there was more of a reason. Not a big deal though.

15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    There is, but honestly, I'm not sure how my mind works. I say just look at things the way it works best in your mind ^_^

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005

No i don't think so. There should have been more heroic scene's to show both sides of him.

Darth Koo, cwustudent and mes520 like this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We were actually meant to sympathize with Anakin, and see things the way he sees them. We're getting his point of view on a lot of things, and we're supposed to understand and sorta root for him at first, and when he falls we're supposed to think it's tragic, not a guy getting exactly what he deserves and good riddance to him.

That you're even questioning this says a lot about the trilogy.

18. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    As far as I know and judging from some of Lucas' commentary, Anakin was meant to be likable, but with a dark side presence to him. And as far as I'm concerned, they did make me care for Anakin, because I do feel remorse from the ruminations scene onward and a great sense of loss (though not just for him, but for everyone involved) at the end of RotS. He basically made all the wrong decisions while thinking it was all for a good cause, but ultimately losing everything and everyone.

Darth Koo and Andy Wylde like this.
  19. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The hypocrisy in this thread from two people who spark off at the vaguest hint of intolerance being shown to their opinions just blows my mind. They scald other people for (perceived) scalding, until they're the ones scalding.

But I suppose, if you have an exceedingly negative view of something -- hate being a powerful motivator 'n' all -- you're normally able to conveniently relax your own standards; standards you're only too happy to keep reminding people of the rest of the time.

Seagoat, thanks for your integrity. I like Anakin as well. Reasons don't have to be given. Of course, they have been, numerous times, over many years, but people often have a way of assuming total ignorance of anything that runs contrary to their own beliefs.

I think, for many that like Anakin, there's a searing honesty and a mercurial intensity to the character, unlike the other characters in the saga, and most other screen heroes, period, for that matter. He's more rawly human, even if some find that off-putting. That would be my own basic explanation, anyway.

Oh, and, duh... (for those acting willfully dense) get used to people liking a prequel character on a prequel board.

I love how one of the people professing dislike of Anakin in here is called "anakinfan". Have I entered the Bizarro realm or something?

20. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Because Anakin is often in the right about whatever Obi-Wan is criticizing him about.

Anakin says trying to find Padme's assassin is implied in their mandate, Obi-Wan shuts him down. Later, Obi-Wan impulsively leaps out a window to follow an assassin droid back to its source because he wants to find the assassin just as much as Anakin does.

Obi-Wan scolds Anakin for taking a "shortcut." It actually works and Anakin catches up with Zam.

Obi-Wan scolds Anakin relentlessly for losing his lightsaber. Obi-Wan later loses his lightsaber twice in the same movie.

I'm not saying Obi-Wan doesn't have legitimate reasons to criticize Anakin (lord knows he does), but he has a hard time recognizing when to let things go and concede the point. It's a relationship that's flawed on both ends.

Thuro, minnishe, Darth Koo and 5 others like this.
  22. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    To be fair, I never really got the whole 'tragic hero' vibe from Anakin. Just a guy who felt like he was in a place where he didn't feel welcomed, wanted to stay at that place but at the same time wanted an out. He wanted to do the right thing, but he couldn't figure out what it was, so he impulsively charges to what he thinks is the right solution without thinking and ends up screwing everyone big time. That said, he could be impossibly dense, even for someone in his circumstances which doesn't help matters at all.

@Cryogenic- I don't think anyone here's saying 'you're not allowed to like Anakin', they're just stating why they specifically don't like Anakin. To be honest, I kind of have to agree, the Anakin of ROTS was the Anakin that should've been in the first two movies.

23. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    That sounds fairly tragic in my book, especially when you add in his explicit "slave" background, his innate potential for greatness, and the fact that he saved Obi-Wan's life multiple times, only to be mutilated and left for dead by him at the end. And, ultimately, Anakin screwed himself. His desire for love and attachment were turned inward: in classic Ancient Greek tradition, the source of his greatest strength was also his greatest weakness. IMO, anyway.

Sadly, that is not what has taken place here. Other posters were bluntly accosted and ambushed for expressing a different view. One was even snidely asked if the reason they liked Anakin was for "whiny petulance" -- and this from a poster (incidentally called "anakinfan") who always bites back whenever even politely questioned about their own opinions. The chutzpah of some people on this site is simply staggering.

minnishe and Andy Wylde like this.
  24. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Irony alert! Chutzpah? really? I saw a discourse between two posters which seemed perfectly civilised, which neither party seemed to take offence at and which ended with them accepting the other's differing opinions and reasons.

As to the OP itself, I think CT-867-5309 pretty much has it nailed. From what I've heard of what Lucas has had to say on the issue I think we are supposed to empathise with his character. It didn't work for me, which doubtless clouds my ability to see much tragedy for Anakin. I see tragedy for those who invested any trust or faith in him - but not for him.

25. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I like Anakin's character never had a problem with him. I think to most people AOTC Anakin can be easily related to if people are honest about themselves.

There are plenty of us in this world that feel we aren't getting a fair shake at our job. How many of us have can raise our hands to coming home and whining to our husbands/wives/boyfriend/girlfriend/family, to one or more of the following:

1) My boss is overly critical of me. I do a good job and all he/she does is rip it down and never praises me for the work I do.
    2) I am actually smarter than my boss and more qualified for the position my boss holds.
    3) My boss feels threatened by me because they know I am more qualified, so I can't advance, they are holding me back.

Those are obviously one specific situation, but you could use Parents, Teachers, Professors, in many of those situations as well. Like I said, if people wanted to be really honest about themselves, then they can see themselves in Anakin's character, especially the AOTC Anakin. I think he is more like us than some want to admit too.

Thanks for coming in here and giving us an honest reply, and sticking to your guns! It's nice to see that someone can be honest about themselves, especially when faced with a post by someone else that uses harsh and insulting language that can easily turn people off to wanting to speak their mind for fear of being looked at as "stupidly" because they relate to that character.