main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT We're we meant to dislike Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 9, 2015.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Most people are going to place more value on the opinions of those who share their taste. That's to be expected.

But there is no one "expert" or "correct" opinion on a piece of entertainment.

And yes, Harry Potter got darker but the fun was not removed or greatly diminished even when nastier things started happening to the characters. The tone did not shift from entertaining to sermonizing, even with the insertion of a prophecy.

2. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Harry Potter is a good example.

I watched all of them recently and I thought the change from light hearted fantasy to the darker themes was done extremely well, and that wouldn't have been easy with different directors bringing their own cards to the table.

3. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Objectifying a woman's body. Nice.

And there is a hell of a lot more to keeping the same overall tone than "it's still a fantasy/action film." There was a lot more to a Star Wars film than Jedi, lightsabers, mentions of the Force and guys with the last name Skywalker.

But I guess this is becoming another "Yes it is!/No it isn't!" argument on whether the films are similar.

Time to pull out one of my favorite Carvey sketches again.

5. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, the tone did shift from entertaining to sermonizing, and that's the point.

Although this thread and the OT Force vs PT Prophecy are starting to get crossed over.

7. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, I rest my case.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If you want sermonizing, look no further than the OT. What dialogue in the PT did you see as sermonizing? Because whatever it is, it has its equal or greater counterpart in OT dialogue.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

11. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015

Cryogenic likes this.
  12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

This.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Idk, I thought back in the day when someone had a complaint, they went to the town forum. The townspeople didn't just shut them down, they didn't think they were just being inflammatory because complaints are bad, and they didn't wonder why people were complaining about the town in the town forum. They didn't just say, "Well, if you don't like it then you can just leave town!" (not that anyone here has said the like) At the very least, they heard them out and noted their opinion. They could handle complaints.

This reminds me of the period after 9/11, when like half the population was like "I don't think this war is justified" and some people responded "Well if you don't like America then you can git out".

forum
    noun
    a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

But whatever.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So to be on a SW forum we have to like every single thing SW? o_O Or are we referring to the PT in general?
    We can't even get a consensus on the order of movies from best to worst.
    As long as you like at least one thing SW then good imo. You can like as much or as little as you want imo.
    Maybe people have legitimate reasons to not like something and want to foster discussion. Get new viewpoints that might change their minds.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The title of the thread is "Were we meant to dislike Anakin?"

It is to be expected that there will be posts stating that he wasn't always likeable or enjoyable to watch.

16. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

It's always so wonderful when people bring in Nazis or 9/11 to calmly make their point.

People with negative opinions are so, so open to having their minds changed or of listening to reason. You've convinced me.

Yeah, hundreds of posts.

Well, when a therapist is too expensive, there's always TFN, I suppose.

SlashMan and Visivious Drakarn like this.
  17. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    Did you read the last 3-4 pages or did you just reach a result out of a single sentence completely out of context?
    It was i who was accused for trolling...why? I'll let you figure that out once you read the previous 3-4 pages...

IMHO, an analogy of a town for a work of art is quite...wrong. Some examles why:
    1.Moving out of town or a country is not as easy as turning of a DVD player or not going to see a movie in theaters 9 times (and then complain that GL stole your money...lol).
    2. The ''town'' in this case is the intellectual property of GL...it's not like we can change the ''town''...We have the choice to enjoy it for what it is, the choice to not enjoy it and do something else we enjoy or even make ourselves something that we'd like (a fan movie or a book with the stroy unfolding as we would like it to unfold, maybe?).

That said...I'd never sign up in a Transformers forum simply because i enjoyed the first movie and didn't like the rest. There is simple solution to that...i don't watch them...
    Nor would i sign up to a VanGogh forum simply because i liked one painting and complained for all the rest that i hated stating ''legitimate reasons'' like ''they don't look exactly like ''Starry starry night''...blah blah...they are bad....!''
    Everyone has a right to his opinion, yes, but does that make anything asserted a legitimate reason in and by itself?

btw, Constructive criticism it very different to what's going on in some of the comments...
    For example i said that SW is like an ancient Greek tragedy (even the ''weird'' dialogue in the PT reminds me of that) and another user said it's like an opera with the music punctuating different emotional states, both with arguements to support our claims!
    IMO, both viewpoints are right and compliment each other (not saying that they are the whole truth of what SW is, btw).
    Now, someone could for example take these claims and maybe see SW through a different viewpoint/perspective than that of a typical blockbuster and appreciate things that didn't make sense before...
    And of course, someone could also dismiss these claims in a second because he/she is already satisfied completely with his/her viewpoint/perspective...but then, why in hell should someone listen to you, when you are not prepared to listen to someone else's viewpoint/perspective that would help you enjoy the very thing that you wanted to enjoy in the first place?

Cryogenic likes this.
  18. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Indeed. Some people just want to repeat themselves ad nauseum and drown out any opposing viewpoint. I love how it's always negative people, showing intolerance to others, that forever turn around and want their opinions to be respected. Extreme negativity and constant carping are always questionable, in my view.

Valairy Scot and Darth Schlotkin like this.
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Some people that do have dissenting views ARE actually OPEN to listening despite many refusing to believe it. :p

20. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

They are not 'buts' in the way that most people would understand 'but' - ie what follows in your argument does not render anything as less subjective. Unless, that is, you make a crucial error in 'objectifying' the opinion of "certain people"; how else should I understand what you mean by "whether that opinion has any merit". As you rightly point out, this is an aspect of "judging" in itself - and thus remains subjective.

I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt here but your argument b) appears to rally the objectification of "certain people's" opinions - given that you precede the word "merit" with the objective clause "actual" - so it appears that "certain people" may believe that what is actually their opinion has an actual basis as an objective and inalienable 'truth'.

That might explain why "certain people" feel that is is acceptable to deride other's opinions in the form of declaring that they "lack perspective" - rather than the more reasonable concept that that perspective is different from their own.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    AFS: Yes, I do and I was among them. I love morality tales done WELL the PT has many issues but merits too. :)

22. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    Key words omitted in your comment regarding the merit of opinions: (through the arguements used)
    aka...I don't have a problem with different opinions...but i do have a problem with most of the arguements used to justify these different opinions. There is a previous comment of mine addressing this, btw.

23. only one kenobi

Nov 18, 2012
    Oh...the irony.

Let's see....ad hominem, personal flaming. Why? Because someone doesn't agree with you? As for there being nothing but negativity...AFS83 has consistently highlighted aspects and scenes that did work in her opinion. Take a step back - there's a point where things start looking like a vendetta.

24. only one kenobi

Nov 18, 2012
    Doesn't make a bit of difference to the fact that it is all still subjective.

25. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    Ok...Star Trek 2 is utter garbage because it doesn't have whales in it like Star Trek 4 did...
    This is a completely subjective arguement by all accounts...but can you honestly say you would not {facepalm} yourself, if someone suggested that after watching ST4, he expected something similar from ST2 and that that is a valid reason to hate ST-2?