main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Fixed. :p

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I had no idea Harvey Keitel was in this. I am excite.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think this looks great. Wes Anderson can really pull together an interesting cast, and his visuals have a gorgeous picture-book quality.

6. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    dat CAST

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Soooooo good.

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I was hoping it would be in town this weekend but it wasn't. The wait for limited release films sucks balls.

Havac and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    yeah, it was fantastic. i think it's my third favorite wes.

10. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm hoping to see this Tuesday. Looking forward to it.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It's doing really well for being in such limited release. I can't wait to see it!

12. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought it was great.

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Fantastic movie. Top 3 Wes Anderson, between Rushmore and Moonrise Kingdom. I give Anderson the edge now as the leading writer/director of a unique American cinema. The Coen brothers are up there of course. Inside Llewyn David was entertaining, though not No Country for Old Men great.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's finally coming out here this weekend. I can't wait.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just got back from it and really enjoyed it, more than Moonrise Kingdom. Ralph Fiennes was greatly entertaining, and the story was wicked fun.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Just saw the movie. I really enjoyed it, it had the perfect blend of hilarity and tragedy that only Wes Anderson can do.

17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Eh, I don't think it quite had the tragedy. And that was its problem; it lacked the richness of character and emotional poignancy of Anderson's other work. I explained already in my review, so I won't repeat myself here, but as of now I'd say it's Anderson's weakest movie. It's still a lot of fun, but it just doesn't have the soul of his other work.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

(Just responding to your review here)

I dunno, I felt it was a pretty sad film under the surface. The movie is basically the older Zero relaying this experience in his life, and as he said, he hated talking about Agatha. You get the sense that there was a good romance , but Mr. Moustafa is still too heartbroken to discuss it, much less how it started and progressed. And I get the sense he has difficulty in talking about Gustave, who basically sacrificed his own life for him, and left him very rich.

Something that Mr. Moustafa said at the end, of how Gustave's time had passed before he was born, but how he was good at sustaining its illusion, illustrates the underlying sadness. Old women come to the hotel to relive their glory days, and since Gustave's so adept at playing his part, they basically sleep with him to feel young again. He tries to sustain the illusion in the face of the rice of fascism, and ultimately fails and loses his life. Even the whimsical and breezily funny scenes just paper over the true horrors that are lurking under the surface. Henkels seems like an upright officer, but at the end you know he's fallen out of favor with the regime, and either exiled or killed, and that makes you wonder what else is happening in this country. And at the end, it's a sad old man who's lost everything, staying at a hotel filled with faded glory, attempting to keep some semblance of the two or three years he was actually happy, (and which wasn't all that great anyway)

Mar17swgirl and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  19. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    TGBH is never sentimental about tragedy - if you want a film that gives you a good cathartic cry you need to look somewhere else. The way Anderson juxtaposes the often horrible events with the light storybook atmosphere is part of what really makes the movie for me. The only parts that didn't work for me were the framing sequences.

20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I agree that there's some powerful stuff lurking under the surface, but the problem is that Anderson isn't bringing it out as well as usual. I mean, the idea that Zero is too upset about Agatha's death to speak much of her is powerful, except . . . it means we hardly see any of their romance, and don't get a chance to establish a real connection with it, so the fact that it's a tragic romance doesn't mean that much because the audience isn't allowed to invest in it enough. It remains an idea rather than something that's executed on the screen. It's a powerful concept, the execution of which significantly limits its own actual power.

I mean, if you compare it to Anderson's other work, I just didn't see any moments like Richie Tenenbaum's suicide attempt, or "Do you think it remembers me?", or "I've had a rough year, Dad." I understood the ideas behind the work, but they didn't suffuse the film the way Anthony and Dignan's yearning for escape did Bottle Rocket, or Max Fischer's confused longing for adulthood and greatness did Rushmore, or everybody's emotional turmoil did The Royal Tenenbaums and The Darjeeling Limited, etc, etc. Maybe they'll come across more on further viewings, but I just don't think Anderson translated his ideas to the screen as well as he usually does, and it didn't feel as emotionally rich as a result.

Point Given likes this.
  21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Saw this last night. Loved it - but I think it's the most unabashedly crazy of Anderson's films. And that takes some doing! It doesn't pause for breath, except at the very end when the reason Zero kept the hotel is finally revealed. The Royal Tenenbaums remains my number one Wes Anderson film though - but to be honest I don't think it will ever be topped. At least for me.

22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I just saw it yesterday. Brilliant and sad and crazy, as Everton said. I used to work in an old grand hotel, so I had a few familiar belly laughs. Particularly the concierge montage, all the different hotel guys with the crossed key pins. Based on the actual Clefs D'or society.

Rushmore is still my personal favorite.

23. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Saw it last night, good, but not among my favorite Wes Anderson films. I think it lacked one of those emotional punch to the gut scenes that most of his films had. I'll probably see it again, so I may rethink my opinion on this.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It just came out where I'm living currently. I am excite.

25. duende

Apr 28, 2006

there was one, it was just off-screen - gustave's murder at the hands of the "nazis" after the confrontation on the train.