main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Wesley Rehse on Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon - Labor Day

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I just received this email from Rebecca Leclair from 10 NBC:

Hi Nicky:

I am writing to let you know that one of the biggest Star Wars fans I know will be featured during the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon on Labor Day! As part of the local broadcast, 10NBC will show video of Wesley Rehse during the 2:00 hour (local cut-away segment).

The local chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association would appreciate it if you could inform your members and let them know we will be challenging all Star Wars fans to call in a pledge and donate money for fight neuromuscular diseases! We hope to read off as many names of donors as possible, once they call in their donation!

Wesley Rehse has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and lives at the Monroe Community Hospital. His room is jammed packed with Star Wars memorabilia! What a fitting way to celebrate his life and his love of Star Wars, by dedicating a pledge in his honor!

Thanks for considering this--we try to reach out to as many people as possible as we continue our quest for a cure!

Fondly,
    Rebecca Leclair
    10NBC Telethon Host

I'll be writing her back this afternoon. If people are interested I can see if the telethon would be interested in having some costumed characters on during Wes' segment. Unfortunately for KS and I, this will be on Sept 5th while we're still in Atlanta for Dragon*Con.

~Doc_Bev

2. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
  3. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    I'll check with Daria to see if she's interested

4. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Here's the response I got from the MDA:

If you are interested, how about getting a crew together to come on and answer phones for a portion of the telethon broadcast? We have different openings available where your help would be most appreciated.

I'm making the assumption that they aren't interested in a costumed appearance, but I think club t-shirts would be appropriate.

T_StarFlyer - would you be able to share this with the USS Tranquility? I still have a lot of packing to do before heading out of town tomorrow morning.

~Doc_Bev

5. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    I would do it probably. Unfortunatly I have to work on Labor day.

6. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    I sent the Ladies from the MDA & havent heard back from them

7. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    ok I just heard back from the folks at the MDA.....

To: ltcmdrtom@aol.com
    Cc:
    Bcc:
    Subject: Re: Member on MDA TELETHON
    Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:37:13 -0400

Tom~
    Thank you for your interest in volunteering for our MDA Labor Day Telethon. We would love to have a solid group of 5 come in costume, The time slots I have available are 7a-10a or 4p-7p. Please reply by email which time is better for your group and a list of names for registration.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kristin R. Smith,
    Administrative Assistant for
    Sally A. Cramer, District Director
    Muscular Dystrophy Association
    1425 Jefferson Road 2nd Floor
    Rochester, NY 14623

I'm leaning torwards the 4 to 7 time period but that's flexable, I posed the question will either of those times but during Wesley's Feature?

Ok so I need 3 more volunteers to do this Daria & I make 2 & I need at least 5 Who's up for it? It would be nice to have more than just Jedi Can I get any Stormies to step up? As Dwayne says, Chicks love the Armor! Or Any other Variety of costume will do. Let me know asap. Thanks Tom

8. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    Have they seen the pix of our group? Damn, the fools; they should be champing at the bit to have us on camera!

I'd be willing to do the phone thing, the later shift probably, but the question remains, when is Wes supposed to be on? We should definitely try to coordinate with our featured member, as that would be best, methinks...

Madkid would be in, but I still have no car... :(

9. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    I think they are, I was told that they would air his segment when ever we were on , I too like the later shift & Madkid, don't worry about a ride if you are in we'll come & getcha.

Ok so that makes 3 & I needd 2 more definates!!!!!!

10. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    I think we should seize this opportunity (pending the MDA's okay of course) to promote our fundraising appearance in Livonia (more below) and generally as accepting donations for the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. Also, if they do this, accepting canned food donations for the Red Cross, or possibly FoodLink again? Of course, we should let the Red Cross know that we'd like to do this for them, that'd probably be a good idea, and as OA of the group, I'll get on the phone and see what I can make happen.

Do you think that this would be "OK" with the MDA?

THE "MORE BELOW" PART:
    I'm assuming that we're doing some kind of picture taking thing like we usually do, in Livonia. We should donate the contributions for the photos to the Red Cross, right? Simple. Now, digital or Polaroid...?

11. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    I'll propose it on my next round of emails with them.

Madkid, I've commited us to this for the 4 to 7 shift on Monday. I still need one more person So far we have....

T_(Tomi-wan) StarFlyer (Me)
    DarSolo (Daria)
    um......Diane? (Diane)
    MadKidJedi (Dean)

Who's going to step up & fill the 5th slot???????
    We need at least 5 but we can have more. I'm really hoping for a Stormie!!!!

12. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I think Wes' segment is on at 2pm.
    You could try Adam Rosen for a trooper if Duane's unavailable. I don't have his phone # with me, but his email is coolvintagetoys@yahoo.com

~Doc_Bev

13. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    To get everyone on the same page I've included the correspondence that i've had so far with the MDA folks. It seems like Wesleys segment is taped & they are willing to run it when ever we are there.

I've contacted a bunch of folks on the list , & have only heard back for Dean (yes) & Jeff (working) *edit* Akaya maybe late. Hopefully I'll hear back soon from at least 1 or more.

****edit******
    Madkid, I went back & reread the Livonia thread & we agreed to taking free pictures for a single donation to a charity of our choice by the town of livonia in our behalf. If we can change the charity we should be able to mention it on air . It probalby should be split between Mda & Katrina relief.

Subj: Re: Member on MDA TELETHON
    Date: 9/2/05 6:31:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    To: LtCmdrTom, rochesterdistrict@mdausa.org

Hi I'm Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner I've 4 definates lined up, Still awaiting to hear back from the 5th for sure but most likely it's no problem.

We'd could only get folks to participate during the monday 4-7 timeslot. I hope that is still ok

the names of the volunteers are as follows:
    Tom Kuntz (me) (Jedi Knight)
    Daria Krenitsky (my Wife) (Mara Jade or Princess Leia in Ewok Village Dress)
    Diane Wamsley (Jedi Knight)
    Dean Amsler (Anakin Skywalker) (A really good accurate costume)

The 5th person will end up being a Jedi also

I'm hoping to hear back from a couple members who have really good Storm Trooper Costumes. They are fan favorites whenever we do apperances, Unfortunatley the member who does Chewbacca is away this weekend. I'll get the 5th persons name to you as soon as it's confirmed.

Can you give me details as to when & where to show up & then we'll just need a room to change into costumes when we get there.

Thanks

Thomas R Kuntz
    Uss Tranquility
    An independant Rochester Ny based
    Community Service Oriented
    Star Trek & Sci Fi Fanclub
    www.usstranquility.com

Rochester's Official Star Wars Fanclub
    www.rochesterfanforce.com

Rochester Fandom United
    www.rochesterfandom.com

-----Original Message-----
    To: rochesterdistrict@mdausa.org
    Sent: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:50:44 -0400

Awesome I hope to have a list of folks for you later this afternoon, I''m leaning towards the 4 to 7 time period

Thomas R Kuntz
    Uss Tranquility
    An independant Rochester Ny based
    Community Service Oriented
    Star Trek & Sci Fi Fanclub
    www.usstranquility.com

Rochester's Official Star Wars Fanclub
    www.rochesterfanforce.com

Rochester Fandom United
    www.rochesterfandom.com

-----Original Message-----
    To: ltcmdrtom@aol.com
    Sent: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:23:20 -0400

We will be featuring this segment with what ever time your group will be on. We have instructed Rebecca to note this time in our production meeting at Telethon.

Kristin R. Smith,
    Administrative Assistant for
    Sally A. Cramer, District Director
    Muscular Dystrophy Association
    1425 Jefferson Road 2nd Floor
    Rochester, NY 14623
    Ph: 585/ 424-6560
    Fx: 585/ 424-1446
    E: rochesterdistrict@mdausa.org

BE SURE TO WATCH THE 2005 JERRY LEWIS LABOR DAY TELETHON ON NEWS 10NBC SEPTEMBER 5TH, AT 7AM UNTIL 7PM!!!!

***NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal or state laws and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). Unauthorized forwarding, copying, printing, distributing or using such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by E-mail.

----- Original Message -----
    To: rochesterdistrict@mdausa.org
    Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005

14. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    well folks I 'm still waiting to hear back from MDA about specifics, so untill we hear different lets plan on meeting at the chanel 10 studios on East ave around 3 :30 Dean PM me your phone # & I'll give a call before I come over to pick you up ok?

We are still looking for 1 more person, Please someone contact to let me know you can be there!!!! Thanks Tom

15. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Gang;

Just was reminded, upon waking today, that there is a Labor Day function that I am supposed to attend with my girlfiend, which comes into conflict with the timing for us being at the telethon. Unless we can shift our "appearance" to the earlier timeframe, I will most likely be unable to participate....

Tom - I'll be sending my numbers in moments, just the same.

16. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    Aw Crap![face_worried] I had just got my 5th person (Bill W Agreed to help) & now we're back down to 4 again :_|

Unfortunatly the rest of us cant make the earlier shift.
    \
    So now we need one more person again, Who can help?

******EDIT******

Whoohoooo! Carol has agreed to be #5 !!!!!![face_dancing]

17. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    OK Watching the telethon this morning it's being held at the school of the arts not at the tv studio

18. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    :) OK I just got word from Kirsten at the MDA We are on the phones from 4 to 7 we need to be there by 3:30 & THey are relly excited for us to be there

19. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    T_StarFlyer thank you so much for working on getting this organized! I hope all goes well at the telethon today!

~Doc_Bev

20. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Way to go guys! I saw you on the Telethon tonight!

21. wookie_cookie

wookie_cookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    You guys looked great! :) I missed Wes's segment though, I turned the TV on and it was all over. :(

22. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    actually, it worked out very well, and was lots of fun. We all took lots of pledeges. I'll get some pics up soon.

23. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
  24. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Great pix, Tom; I especially like the screen-caps!

That sweet gal in the wheelchair (Tiffany) was so nice. I was great having her with us as well.

Quite a few people have already told me that they saw us on the telethon, and thought it was so nice to do that. Even Emily's grandmother saw and recognized me!

A buddy of mine who does security at Nathaniel's Pub (where I dj) saw it, and it reminded him to bring in his Ep.I Pepsi standees (he no longer wanted) to give to me last night. In all, he had 4 character standees, and one large Pepsi display back-drop (with the Duel of the Fates scene pictured) to pass along to my collection. The characters were Boss Nass, Mace Windu, BattleDroid, and Watto. Too cool!!

By the way, if ever we need additional character images from photo ops or what-not, I've got tons of 'em (standees), including Luke (Tatooine outfit, smiling and arms crossed), R2 (reversed image!), C-3PO, ANH Vader, Jar Jar, Ep.1 Obi-Wan (from the same Pepsi promotion that the "new" standees came from), and others I've probably forgotten...

25. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Great pics everyone! It's great that they let you wear your costumes while you answered the phones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.