Story [West Wing] Loose Lips - the Bartlets at Home - humor, romance - one-post

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by ardavenport, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Title: Loose Lips
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: During the Bartlett administration
    Genre: West Wing: drama, humor, romance
    Characters: C.J. Craig, President Josiah Bartlet, Dr. Abigail Bartlet
    Keywords Bartlet, West Wing, sex education
    Summary: The sex education report resurfaces again in a press inquiry.
    Note: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don't catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    And: This was my first attempt at online writing a few years ago and it disappeared fairly quickly along with the web page. It's nice to have a place to post it.
    Disclaimer: All characters are the creation of and belong to others; I'm just playing in their sandbox

"Mr. President." C.J. Cregg sighed. "There was one other item."

President Bartlet looked up from the budget outline for the Commerce Department. They'd ended their late afternoon meeting and she'd just been going out the door.

"A reporter from Newsweek asked about an anonymous quote from a doctor attending the AMA meeting this week that the White House had squelched the sex education report for political reasons." C.J. slowly returned to the place on the carpet in Oval Office where she'd stood during the meeting. Bartlet noticed as she self consciously straightened her gray suit and brushed back a strand of shoulder length brown hair.

He lowered the Commerce Department budget and glanced at the door that Leo McGarry had just exited, going back to his office.

"My wife just spoke at that conference." The President removed his reading glasses.

"Yes," C.J. acknowledged. "The reporter didn't say that the anonymous source came from the first lady or anyone from the White House?"

"Then why was he asking us?"

"Because the report was shelved by the White House, Sir." For half a second C.J. thought about voicing her opinion about that, but she didn't; it was water under the bridge now. "And the anonymous source is supposed to be someone connected to one of the peoples who worked on the report."

"Well, that narrows it down to a few dozen people for us to hunt down and persecute," the President muttered over his desk. C.J. remained at semi-attention. The atmosphere of the Oval Office demanded formality. Especially when one was delivering possibly bad news. She kept her gaze neutrally fixed at her own eye level, just above the top of his head. The sun was going down and golden light poured in over the desk from the rooms's high windows.

"Sir, I don't think that the reporter has any more than an anonymous quote. I think he was just fishing. The First Lady wasn't mentioned- -"

"You didn't mention the First Lady in your denial, did you?"

"No, Sir." What does he think; I'm a rank amateur? But C.J. wisely refrained from uttering that crack. "I just don't think that there's a story here."

"You got a question about this from a reporter quoting an anonymous congressional source last week."

"It was three weeks ago, Sir. And I checked; Congressman Bruno squashed it."

"How?"

"I believe the anonymous source works in an office in Omaha now."

"Well at least someone in this government knows what to do with anonymous sources." C.J. kept silent. The President still looked like he was looking for someone to shoot and she was still in the line of fire. "OK," he finally sighed. "It's probably nothing."

"Yes, Sir, I'm sure it is. Nothing that is," she agreed, eager to help dispel the moment of tension.

"Thank-you, C.J." he looked up again, dismissing her. She noted with relief that he now looked as if he'd lost the desire to hunt down a target to punish and would settle for punishing himself. Not being overly opposed to any self-flagellation her boss might indulge in, C.J. excused herself from the room, closing the door on her way out.

Alone in the Oval Office, President Bartlet stared at the closed door. Then he looked over at the door leading toward his Chief of Staff's offi
  2. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    LOL, great dialogue work. It was very funny.
  3. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    "Yes, Abbey, it's ridiculous. It's called politics!"

I love Abbey and Bartlet, I really miss this show! Thanks for bringing back my Monday night non-stop hiurn and a half fetish!
  4. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "I believe the anonymous source works in an office in Omaha now."

"Well at least someone in this government knows what to do with anonymous sources."

[face_laugh][face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Though, I can see that actually happening with the government

I loved Jed and Abbey's argument as well as the making up - you captured their characters very well.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  5. bi0nic Force Ghost

star 3
    Great work! This reads like it was torn from the script of a real West Wing episode. =D=

The opening part with CJ felt a bit like that scene between her and Bartlet regarding 'Abstinence Plus', and the calm before the storm of the Bartlet-Bartlet argument also felt really reminiscent of the not-infrequent friction between those two that took place in the show.

Really well done, I could totally hear and see the characters all the way through. Bravo!
  6. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    DarthIshtar: Thank-you! Dialogue is very important for WW so I'm glad it came out right.

Katana_Geldar: I miss the show, too, but good things can't always last forever. Thanks for reading!

KELIA: Thank-you! I wrote this awhile ago on a whim but didn't have any place to put it.

bi0nic: Thanks! I'm glad the WW dialogue sounded right; not easy to do for that show.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.