main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC WESTERCON 2005 Calgary & NasFic 2005 Seattle

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by haruwindsong, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Two alternatives to WorldCon, which is in Glasgow next year. Is anyone thinking of going to either of these? Also, I am definitely planning to attend WorldCon in L.A. 2006. Roomies invited --- due to my writing a percentage of my room cost will be a business write-off so that should bring the price down. Also, getting to L.A. is relatively easy and fairly inexpensive by car or bus, if you'd rather not fly. You can also take REALLY BIG costumes.

Derisa, I highly recommend you consider this opportunity to explore your professional writing career. Remember those workshops I told you about? Seattle's NorWesCon usually holds them, too. NorWesCon is held around the last weekend in March and, by the way is appreciably cheaper than WorldCon.

This advice goes for anyone who is somewhat dissatisfied with their writing skills and seeks to improve them. My only advice is to keep in mind you have to submit original vice fan fiction to the workshops. And there is a fee which covers photocopying and mailing expenses.

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I confess I am way more interested in local cons than in something as far away, and *huge* as Woldcon. Are there pertinent websites you could direct me to, Haru? Just post em here and I'll go have a look: costs are an issue, but I would welcome the chance to do a real writer's workshop like the ones you have talked about.

*Derisa*

3. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    NorWesCon in Seattle (held yearly) - membership $50.00 U.S. to 15 September 2004, then will probably go up $5.00
    http://www.norwescon.org

NasFic (Cancadia Con) 2005 is the North America alternative to WorldCon - membership is presently $85.00 U.S. to end-November 2004.
    http://www.cascadiacon.org

WesterCon 2005 is the relatively inexpensive alternative to WorldCon even when the 'biggie' is in North America. Membership - $80.00 Canadian
    http://www.calgaryin2005.org

WorldCon L.A. 2006 is the HUGE convention. Hotel prices are probably the cheapest for the Marriotts and Hyatts anywhere on the Con circuit with the except of the Doubletree in Seattle. I freely offer room space to cut costs. Will take up to six in my room (four in the beds, two on the floor --- first in gets first dibs). Membership - $180.00 Canadian to 12 September 2004 (then it goes up)
    http://www.laconiv.com

For those unfamiliar with SF conventions (vice Creation Cons and the Celebrations) you get your membership as early as possible because the cost generally goes up every six months, and at-door costs are prohibitive with everything except the local three day conventions like V-Con Vancouver, Key-Con Winnipeg or NorWesCon Seattle.

4. Bobbiedu

Bobbiedu Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2004
    Cascadia Con will have a Writers Workshop and many writers working panels. The information is not up yet because we are still a year out from the event.

We also will be hosting the Chesley awards for you artists.

More information on Cascadia Con (the North American Science Fiction Con) is at www.Cascadiacon.org and more info on Norwescon and other NW cons can be found at www.sfnorthwest.org

Hope that helps some.

5. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Thanks for the added info. I'm still debating on whether to sell off my Glasgow membership and purchase a NasFic or WesterCon membership Shall have to make up my conflicted mind in the next two months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.