Calgary Westercon plans

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by DarthJaeger, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJaeger Jedi Master

star 1
    Is anybody out there as excited about Westercon as I am?

I just checked the website and programming starts THURSDAY at 1900h for anyone who doesn't know.

Are there any special Fan Force activities being planned?

Dr. Haggis said something at the party about costuming on Friday night. I just finished (95% anyway) my Jedi cos on the weekend and am itching for any excuse to get dressed up.

Justin
  2. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    I too am very excited about WesterCon.

Most of us have decided that Friday is the best day to wear our Jedi Robes as hall costumes. That is also the day that Magpie Jen, iRob and myself will be holding the "build your own lightsaber" panel.

Friday night is the "Regency Dance," though I don't really have any Napoleonic era clothes to wear to that. Saturday night is the LOTR theme party in the consuite.

I hope to hit the dealers room on Thrusday, and I'm really looking forward to the "Filk," (sci-fi and fantasy inspired folk music).

It will be much good.

"Own your Geekness"
  3. SithatHeart Jedi Knight

star 1
    I will be there with bells on. Anyone want to arrange to meet-up Thursday night?
  4. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    aaawwwww regency dance, i wish i could go :(
  5. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    I was just wondering about WesterCon too! DarthJaeger - I can't wait to see your costume! I'd like to visit the dealer room too - hopefully I'll see some of you there.
    I'd be interested in meeting up Thursday night, but I have to help my mom move and so can't be there until after 7, unfortunately.

Are we meeting Friday in our Jedi regalia then? I don't have an authentic LOTR costume to wear on Sat., but have an elf-ish costume I could wear (I'll have to try NOT to stand next to MagpieJen, otherwise I'm just going to look pathetic!). What time Friday? I really want to sit in on the light saber presentation.
  6. redeyekho Jedi Knight

star 2
    There's a few of us coming from Edmonton. Angela, Erin, Danny and myself (Dave). Was wondering if anyone wanted to hookup on Friday or Saturday?
  7. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dave....are you bringing Danny? Sweet!

Yep....Erin and I will be there on Friday during the day. We'd love to see you guys again!
  8. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't know what time I can guarantee to be there on Thursday. It will depend on the errands I have to run after work.

Any thoughts on get together times/activities/location?
  9. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    I"m not sure I can make it Thursday night now. But I will definitely be there Fri/Sat/Sun. After looking at the schedule of events, there are so many cool things happening! I'm totally excited now!

Should we meet up before the doors open on Friday (10 am)? We could pick a spot close-by the venue......say Eau Claire?
  10. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Places I can be found at Westercon (and planned disguises/costumes):

Thursday:
    Fingers crossed everything is done so I can actually come that night. It's the one time I don't have plans and could try to meet up whenever! (Generic Elf costume)

Friday:
    11am-1pm - LOTR costume panel
    3-4pm - Media costuming panel
    4-5pm - Build your own 'saber panel(Jedi costume for all those)
    8pm onwards - Regency dance and then Firefly party in the ConSuite (probably wear my Regency gown - I never get to...)

Saturday:
    11am-1pm - help with Iron Costumer (much fun! you guys should come participate!)
    3pm - go watch the 501st!
    (Probably wear Frodo or Eowyn that day)
    SF Dance/Slave Auction/LOTR theme party in Consuite (mystery costume)

Sunday:
    11am-Noon - Making a winning costume panel (no costume!)
    2pm-11pm - masquerade rehearsal, masquerade (in seclusion...)

Monday:
    3-4pm - Group costuming panel
    (probably Frodo or Eowyn costume)

Awww... won't you stand beside me, echosevin? My generic Elf costume is really only Elf-ish as well. My costumes are not particularly good - there are just many of them :)

I could meet up before doors open on Friday at Eau Claire, or anywhere else close to the Westin.

Jen
  11. whisperjedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Neverbeen 2 WesternCon B4, so it be my 1st, "Soo very scared". Looks like I'll be 'bout Fri. evening or Morn. can't tell until Thurs.
    But would like for some Fanforce meetups; Edmontooine welcome aswell, that or I'll be walking around alot, looking for cool swag and Farscape crap.

12. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    For those that have not pre-purchased your passes, here are the various day rates for WesterCon. The Website is a great source of info too.

• 4 Days $90/$45 (Adult/Youth)

• Any 3 Days $75/$40

• Any 2 Days $60/$30

• Any 1 Day $40/$20

• Thursday "Sneak a Peek" $5/$5

• Saturday Night Dance Pass $10/-

The Saturday Night pass provides access to the Slave Auction, Dance, and cash bar only. They are available for purchase at Registration by registered members for use by unregistered significant others to attend the dance.

Youth rate applies to age 12 or younger at the start of Westercon 58. (Infants 5 and under do not require membership, but must be accompanied by a guardian at all times.)

Next year WesterCon is in San Diego.
  13. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    "3pm - go watch the 501st!"

Wow....is the 501st doing something?? ;)

Yep.....we're doin' a panel. Very relaxed and informal. More of a question and answer type session, but we will do a little intro about the 501st in general and Badlands. Any of you that come and watch PLEASE ask some questions should everyone just sit there with blank looks on their faces..... :D
  14. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Questions NOT to ask a Stormtrooper:

"Aren't you a little short?"
    "Why aren't you at your post?"
  15. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    :D....mhmmmm....unless you wanna get whacked over the back of the head "accidently" with an E-11. ;)
  16. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    That probably is the most accurate way to hit someone with an E-11. ;)

17. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Maybe it's the stress talkin' but that just did me in, DrHaggis! I'm glad your on my team :)

Us lightsaber geeks will come heckle the 501st if you promise to come heckle our lightsaber panel :)
  18. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Being that I'm not a true Stormie......although....I do now have Scout and Snowtrooper gear.....I believe I can say this. Getting whacked accidently by a Stormie is the ONLY way you're gonna get hit....[face_devil]

I take enough flak from the Stormies for being a Mandalorian....

**Edit....almost forgot to ask....what time is your panel at again? Is it on Saturday? If so we are SOOOO there...... :D
  19. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Build your own Lightsaber is Friday from 4-5pm... too bad it isn't Saturday - any chance you'll be down by then?

If you can't - we'll still come heckle you - that's just how nice I am :)
  20. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Awww....that's too bad. We'll be getting in around 4:00...but are planning on going to the zoo. Sorry that we'll miss it. We could sit around at another time and have you repeat your presentation and heckle you then..... [face_devil]
  21. iRob Jedi Knight

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in some time.

Kudos.

"You know, we're not supposed to say anything, but we really can't see **** in these helmets."
    -THX2194
  22. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    HAPPY CANADA DAY :D hope you guys have fun at westerncon
  23. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for everything guys!! Us 501st folks had an absolute blast and look forward to hooking up with you guys again soon!!
  24. redeyekho Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hi Guys and Gals,

It was a pleasure to meet up with you guys/gals again. I want to thank Michelle for letting Robe and I change in your room. You certainly made the convention more enjoyable. The room they gave for our group and other groups were quite small as it was one of the host's hotel room. Our group would like to thank that host or hostess for the use of the room.

Till next time ... Dave :)
  25. veritate Jedi Knight

star 2
    This was certainly a very fun weekend! So glad we caught up with the Edmontooiners and 501 guys.

For those of you who missed, here are some hilights:

Friday

• Going for lunch at Eau Claire in full Jedi Regalia with Yrol, Justin, MagpieJen, DrHaggis, and Jay (Fett), making a complete Specktacle out of ourselves.

• Standing-room only at the "Lightsabre Construction 101" panel

• "Ooo's" and "Ahhh's" at iRob's lightsabres

• Regency Dancing! (This was absolutely delightful!)

Saturday

• Erin in her Harlequin outfit

• Lots of Stormies, Fetts, etc... roaming the halls

• Q & A with the 501 at their panel

• Four troopers auctioned off as slaves all at once, purchased by none other than...

• Slave Leia in her costume!

• An appearance by the one and only Zap Branigan!

• Dancing all night long (including a rather rousing regency dance to "Rah, Rah, Rasputin")

Sunday

• iRob & Aayla Secura taking 1st place in Journeyman Division at the Masquerade (Costume Competition) - pics to come soon!

• MagpieJen, DrHaggis and several others dominating the Masters Division as a motley crew of Orcs and Urukai.

• Roaming the halls as orcs, "Freaking out the Squares".

• Soaking in the hot tub till 2:00am

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.