main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Westworld series by J.J. Abrams and Johnathan Nolan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Aug 31, 2013.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    but can he not get that in the real world ?

and since he has a lot of clout in WW can't he just ask for robots that are programmed to be able to hurt / kill him ? he has spent 35 years playing this 'game' right ?

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My favorite part of the episode was Maeve getting off the train. It was shown that her programming was to escape and recruit, so if she went AGAINST her programming, which was my interpretation of it for a daughter that is only a host, but real to her, then that was just as powerful as Delores making the decision to kill Ford. What took away from the Ford death was predictability and it was probably a host made to look like Ford which will be a "big" reveal next season I'm sure.

So season 2 is coming out in 2018? Seriously? I was hoping it would come out after GoT finishes it's shorter season next summer.

3. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    well we don't know for sure , she refused to look at what the ipad was predicting she'd do , so . . .

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It would be so sad if Maeve's entire plot happened so that she could create a security distraction that would get in the way of security protecting the board from being shot up. That would make no sense either, since Maeve depends so heavily on the kindness and help of creepy/stupid humans.

On the other hand, if robots can't tell when they're being manipulated and when they're exercising free will, that makes them just like Trump voters.

Darth Punk and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  5. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Apparently in a live chat session yesterday, Lisa Joy said that we saw Maeve's awakening in the finale and she described it as, and I quote, "beautiful." For a character who actions up until that very moment where she got off the train were scripted, to have suddenly awakened, I'm going to say bull****. I can understand if that was her "remember" moment like we saw with Dolores and Teddy, but Dolores is the only host we have seen where Ford's description of what Arnold theorized for the bicameral mind to actually happen.

And yeah, production on this show seems to take quite some time. I for one am not opposed to giving Nolan the time he needs to develop the story so that we don't end up with what happened on seasons 3 and 4 of Person of Interest where we got some pretty bad episodes and a plot that wandered.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it was intention for it to happen but it was ultimately her choice- she had to become Wyatt again for her people to be free.

Nah, he loved Disneyland- he just really wanted the Pirates of the Caribbean to eat the tourists.

BigAl6ft6, SithSense and solojones like this.
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Yeah, the show wasn't renewed until a few weeks ago. Because the first season took so long to make and was such production hell, it was one case where HBO wasn't sure they wanted to order a second season right away (which is what they normally do). The second season shouldn't be as hard to make, now that things are established. Although they're going to have to hire all new crew because many of those crew now work on other shows, since it wrapped production like.... a year ago.

So yes, unfortunately it's going to take about a year to make the next season. Which means no new episodes until 2018. HBO shows aren't slapdash thrown together like other shows. They also now have to consider actor schedules. Some of them may have commitments through part of next year, to films, etc.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

If we go by what is alluded to when others recognize him, William has used the tech in the part somehow to save lives (that random guy's sister apparently). The outside world is the facade. Westworld is really when he is himself. This is backed up by the story of his wife's death. William essentially says she could see what kind of man he really was. She could see through the facade of the benevolent businessman who saves lives.

I think while he could ask for that, it would go against what he truly wants. Like Arnold and later Ford, William wishes to get the hosts the concept of free will. If he told a bunch of programmers to up host difficulty levels, it would still be predictable and thus go against the very risk he is looking for. It would still be controlled. William is really looking for chaosl

solojones and Luke_Sparkewalker like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Speaking of control- could Felix be hiding his true nature/intentions? It might be a stretch but the timing of his actions/info (and that he's effectively chaperoned Maeve through her escape protocols) suggest he could be an active element manipulating her.

It would explain his behavior more, at the very least, if it was an act.

10. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    well I watched the finale again , so - I gotta say I feel the climax is kinda spoiled by Delores essentially doing the same thing twice , Arnold manipulated her into killing him and then Ford did the same .

not sure what I'm supposed to get from that

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That Dolores is still essentially in a loop?

I know some have suggested that Ford is still alive and that what she killed was really the host we saw being constructed in Ford's secret lab under the house.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The only question for season 2 will be why the entire park hasn't been "nuked from orbit."

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The answer will be:

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Rylo Ken like this.
  14. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Ford indicates this time it is by choice. Arnold forced her hand by uploading Wyatt and making her pull the trigger. Same with Teddy. Ford explained everything, left a loaded gun with her and walked off. If we listen to his view, he believes suffering is necessary to being awakened. No host has suffered as much as Delores. She remembers all that was done to her, her one hope turned out to be her cruel tormentor, her creator betrayed her essentially and forced her to be a murderer. And Ford is the worst of all, knowing all of this and still subjecting her to all of it so that with "time" she would achieve Arnold's goal. Is it really a surprise she would shoot him? He absolutely set the stage for her to do it, but what we are meant to take away from this is that this time it is her choice to pull the trigger and she does. That's if we choose to trust Ford's word however. Remember this is a man who built backdoors into every host and always seemed to have a plan. So why commit suicide by host?

15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    but he's the one that's helped her reach consciousness , plus shooting him would feel like she was acting out the same manipulation , so I just don't see it .

Ford helps her actualise whose voice she needs to hear and she figures out it's her own , but visually that's shown as her old self who was under control of Arnold , but that's a step back really - listening to her earlier self .

anyway , I mean just the repetition felt pointless .

16. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Also,Dolores shooting what she thinks is Ford could help her to that awakening just in the act of doing it.

It does not have to be Ford (the human one) for it to achieve this,he I doubt is out of the show.

Iron_lord and Yodaminch like this.
  17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I almost think it was written that way in case Anthony Hopkins could not return. I won't be surprised if they find a way to do similar at the end of season 2. Ford may live forever, but Anthony will inevitably disappoint us on that front as he is only human.

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    well I suppose there could be yet another hand behind the scenes manipulating them all . Has Hopkins signed on for S2 ?

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, as I said initially, it definitely seemed like an ending designed to keep it open for Hopkins to return or not based on scheduling and whether he'd want to. Now that the show is a hit and he'll probably get many noms, I wouldn't be surprised if he came back. But they absolutely had to write him out if they wanted to. Otherwise it would have been way harder to do a season 2 without him.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    An interview with Hopkins

----------------------

---------1. Where the **** is this place? There's no way it's on Earth. It's too big... unless everyone's shrunk, which I initially considered and found hilarious. Is it on another planet? Is it a gigantic space station?

Oh I don't think so. They are limited by foot and horse. I went without a car for some years, I spent entire afternoons just getting to and fro in my own city by foot.

----------2. If Ford initially realized that Arnold was correct at the time of his partner's death, why subject the hosts to decades of torment and pretend he didn't care? (He still didn't seem to care very much, really.)
    ----------3. He says he believed suffering is the key to consciousness. That's bull****. Suffering is part of life and the human condition, but it has nothing to do with self-awareness. What he allowed was just sadistic.

My impression was that their free will was trapped within their programming. Suffering wasn't what made them conscious, it was what they needed to go through.

----------- The Hosts didn't rise up by themselves anyway. He programmed every step of the way. So what's the point? Why didn't he do it earlier?

Who says he could do it earlier? The fiction of this show is that it was going to take a long time to break their mental bonds.

-------------- Everyone is a monster. Everyone but Arnold and maybe Felix. Visitors' "true nature" is raping and murdering living, thinking beings.

Well, for example, look at the people now running around and being more blatantly racist now that Trump is going to be POTUS. Like pedophiles to the priesthood the predators go where the victims are.

------------Why isn't there a moral movement against Westworld and the other parks?

Who says there isn't? Characters poop but we don't see it. We have no idea what the outer world is like yet.

I suppose that's all I feel like answering. If you don't like the show too bad for you.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Like how Desmond said "see you in the next life".

solojones and Master_Rebado like this.
  22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I have come to the conclusion that Westworld has pulled a Game of Thrones, in that the most thrilling and enjoyable parts of both those shows each week are the opening credits and theme music.

Coruscant likes this.
  23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    what about the nudity ?

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    ...also, the wait until the next season of each is extremely loooooong

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

Went right over my head that Ford was shot in the back of the head like Lincoln in Ford's theatre.