main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Westworld series by J.J. Abrams and Johnathan Nolan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Aug 31, 2013.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    William : what does he want ?
    last season he was following this brain puzzle to .... something , not sure why .
    this year he seemed to want to bring his dead wife back , but then seems to have lost interest in that , now he's .... what ?

Does he own the place ? 'cos he seems to get shot an awful lot .

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Host William in the future is trying to break his loop of murdering his daughter- to show he was capable of taking a different path that didn't bring him back to that same moment and, thus, prove he has free will. Essentially he's trying to not end up like Delos who kept coming back to his last meeting with Logan.

Human William's path shifted as soon as he killed his daughter. I think it's unclear what role Ford had in terms of knowing/guiding him towards that point.

However, I think his general motive in the season was to prove he wasn't what was on that profile data card.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I was definitely getting some LOST vibes towards the end of the episode where Dolores is the like the MIB/Smoke Monster and Bernard is like Jacob and they're playing a game with each other and humanity where she's made herself the bad guy and he's the good guy. We know she had some "candidates" in her purse.

Question: how did Teddy's body get in the water?

BigAl6ft6 and nilzo antonio like this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Bad plotting?

5. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    how did Hale-Delores pass the scanner test ?
    and also , right after that , the security guy has a convo with her which is very cryptic , he seems to be saying that he had some special orders from Ford and knew who she really was (?) .

Master_Rebado likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Theory is that Ford provided the coding for Hale-Delores to pass the scanner test.

Stubbs, the security guy, is a host created by Ford.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    She passed because of that guy, who is either also a robot in the style of Bernard, or has been aware of and sympathetic to Ford’s plan.

The Ted thing was bizarre in that she modified his programming, “murdered” him, and made sure he ended up in Eden. Any one of those 3 would have sufficed. Why do all of them?

8. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    is anyone not a host ?

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Delores told Teddy that she modified his programming because she wanted him to be a survivor. She murdered him because despite her reprogramming of him, he drew a line and therefore Delores couldn't trust him. Delores still loved Teddy, and wanted him to be happy and thus put him in the "Eden."

10. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Teddy killed himself didn't he ?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Dolores modified Teddy, he became self aware knowing he was modified and therefore chose to let the one Indian guy go and then killed himself when he saw where she was going and he didn't want to be part of her journey.

I did like that Dolores used the bullet Teddy used to "kill" himself and put it in William's gun. It's cool to know that their core brain units are bullet proof.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Okay but. . .the other response to being unable to trust someone is simply not to trust then. She kept putting him at the center of her plans and getting mad when he didn’t perform. Why not treat him like Maeve’s daughter, an innocent loved one that just needs to be protected?

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, you're right. Teddy did kill himself.

Teddy, wasn't innocent (thus killing himself) and didn't need anyone to protect him. Delores wanted him at her side.

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Because she needed him to protect/help/be there for her, which was his cornerstone. When she went off programming, he didn't follow, so she made him follow suit.

15. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    One thing I haven't exactly figured out: was the event that "triggered" emerging consciousness/self-awareness in the hosts the reveries program which Ford implemented? And all it does is allow them to access their memories from the moment of their creation? Is it that simple?

16. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Can we clear something up -

there's a scene when Bernard meets up with Elsie , they go thru a secret opening into a tech room , several techies are dead , then a bit later Bernard has a flashback and remembers it was he who killed them , why did he do that ?

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I think the trigger for each host varied as we were shown with Akecheta. Then, once self aware, they were able to access any memory that wasn't deleted which was probably buried and/or not deleted which is odd because you think they'd do a full wipe. Yet, we've also seen that the techs aren't the brightest bulbs in the shed and would rather do the quick and easy solution like an "update" instead of a full reinstall.

The departments didn't even want to deal with certain hosts and send them to the appropriate departments to deal with. Look at what Maeve got away with in Season 1.

Also, some hosts were still acting like hosts in Season 2 and never "woke up".

So to answer your question, I think the reveries might have been part of it, but I think for Dolores it was more of something from her old Wyatt programming that triggered her awakening and we went along with her on that journey in season 1 of her current and past programming. Plus she was special. She was used out in the real world by William and family, and she was used by Ford to rebuild Arnold and made Bernard. Who knows what else she's done in the past 30 years.

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Probably programmed to by Ford as I think Ford sent him there.

BTW, I think we saw a red "pearl" this season. Did we ever find out who that belonged to?

19. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I can't help thinking that Delores was once a real human and that maybe that's who we're seeing in some of those sessions with her and Bernard .

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    No. She's a host with all the memories of what made Arnold - Arnold. She was instructed by Ford to remake Arnold, but she realized that if she did that, he's end up dead like the original Arnold so she made him better - she made Bernard. Ford seemed happy and he was probably aware of her changes. Even if he wasn't, he would never hurt him so all's well that ends well.

21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    So...why did Bernard bring Dolores back and why did Dolores kill Bernard and then bring him back only to basically declare war on him?

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Bernard brought Dolores back because he realized killing her was the wrong choice when he saw Hale murder Elsie.

Dolores killed Bernard as it would be much easier to transport his pearl off island in her bag.

Ever villain needs their opposite to oppose them. It's the only way to grow.

I just realized that inside each host aka "shell" is a "pearl".

23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks! This helps!

On a sidenote have there been any hot takes about how all the Indians got moved off their land and onto a virtual reservation? I don't actually think that's what the show was trying to say but I could see people taking it that way.

24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I haven't heard anything, but I was really hoping that when Clementine was spreading her "virus" instruction for the hosts to kill each other that Maeve was going to use her power to get them to stop fighting, but she just "paused" them long enough for her daughter to get away. If she has the power to tell any army of samurai to kill each other, you think she'd have the power to tell them to stop or not fight or shut down or something rather than nothing.

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I thought the same thing too.
    I just they just really wanted that dramatic scene to happen.