main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Westworld series by J.J. Abrams and Johnathan Nolan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Aug 31, 2013.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    BigAl6ft6

The one when they're talking about the Paint it Black sequence at the end of episode 1 where they reference Tarantino is pretty great as well, but Ramsay Bolton is probably the best so far.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    this is pretty amazing too:

[​IMG]

Point Given and Master_Rebado like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just watched the first three episodes. Loving the series so far.

He seems to have played that "stage" before, so he knew how many bullets he needed to take down the cousins. He left the other two bullets out as intimidation/to show off. One for the wife and one for the daughter.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ford lectures an employee about the Hosts being uncovered while in the lab reminding him they are not real. Bernard talks to Delores and she is fully clothed. Part of that of course is that their talks are secret, but the implication of his hope for her reality is there.

I wonder if Ford had Arnold killed.

I assume that was Arnold's voice in her head at the end, "Kill him".

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BTW- was that a Host or a Guest that she shot?

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I wondered that , but I'd imagine if she shot a guest the whole place would be in alarm .

I also - wonder - can the humans tell who's human ?

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

The character's name is Rebus and he is a Host. He was there with the other bandits in the first episode where the MIB/Harris shows up and MIB is the one who takes her in the barn instead of Rebus. It's not that she shot a Host that matters, it's that she shot anyone. It's that she pulled the trigger at all. That was the purpose of the earlier scene where she cannot pull the trigger. So in the end she goes beyond her programming.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, I got that her programming restricts her from firing at all and that her ability to overcome that is the significance there- but the significance would be very different depending on who the victim was. At this point it's still a stepping stone to going full-Skynet, as opposed to jumping right to that capability.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Something else just occurred to me too. No one has a gun that can harm anyone. The one Guest got shot, and it left a mark, but whatever it is it's a fake bullet. So in the end scene one of the bandits shoots here and nothing happens. She seems to react to it, but she doesn't bleed or anything. So it is a combination of the fake bullet plus something in the body of the Host that busts open and causes the bloodshed.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don;t think they're all fake bullets otherwise you wouldn't need the restriction on trigger pulling.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

I decided to dig

“It’s not the guns,” Nolan said. “It’s the bullets. We thought a lot about this. In the original film, the guns won’t operate guest on guest, but we felt like the guests would want to have a more visceral experience here. So when they’re shot it has sort of the impact. They’re called simunitions. The U.S. military trains with rounds like the ones we’re talking about. But there’s a bit of an impact, a bit of a sting. So it’s not entirely consequence-free for the guests.”
    ------------------------
    SO, did the bullets that hit Delores detect she was conscious? How the hell does the bullet know this?

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    something I didn't understand -
    when they found the lost host who was stuck down a crevice , why did he start sawing his head off ?

on the bullets thing - the guns must have some electronics which allows them to detect humans / hosts and fires accordingly - bullets or paper squibs .

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They were taking his hard drive to analyse it and see what went wrong. They don't need the whole thing, just the head. Interesting that his programming had him destroy rather than let them...

Point Given and gezvader28 like this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Is this show any good, should I give It a try? Is Harrison Ford In It?

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, no, no. In fact, never think about this show or this thread ever again.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Wow. I wished episode four kept going. It was fantastic.

TX-20 likes this.
  17. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Given that they were able to jam their weapons via computer terminal in the control room, I'm beginning to think that these simunitions are more like smart bullets... Or something... To give a sense of what I mean, simunitions are a real thing but also if you're shooting steel targets there is also the option of frangible ammo. Instead of the bullet having a lead core, the bullet is instead made up of compressed copper powder that more or less disintegrates upon impact of the steel. Getting rid of the lead core greatly reduces the risk of ricochets and makes any fragments less of a hazard as opposed to having a lead core.

Aw hell, I'm mostly just rolling with it because Ed Harris is a damn good and compelling villain at least by appearance at this point, and had some terrific lines as well. Though it seems like the true villain may end up being Anthony Hopkins' Ford.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I imagine they're saving that for later.

With the fake munitions, though, seems like the hosts couldn't kill someone with a gun. They'd have to use something like an axe or blunt object. Clearly the axes are actually potentially dangerous, or else they wouldn't have programmed the hosts so none of them could even touch it except the wood cutter... And then he's the one who smashed his own head. Maybe because his update took the shackles off, allowing him to harm a guest with the axe, and he was fighting that realization?

In fact, I think that detail was a Chekov's axe situation. I wouldn't be surprised to see an axe be the weapon to first kill a guest.

19. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
  20. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I hope at some point, one of the guests finds a loot cache and complains that it gave them a gun that they already have several of.

CooperTFN, solojones and jabberwalkie like this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Or that it's just a reskin of a gun you already have.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Orion has 3 stars not 4. There is a constellation called Serpens but it looks nothing like the constellation in the show carved on the clay.

I wonder now, after the scene with Ford and Theresa, if Ford knows about Bernard and Delores.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The Man in Black/Ford face to face was fantastic.

24. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Dolores is the key. So would that make Teddy the gatekeeper, or is William the gatekeeper?

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So, odds that the British host kid is some recreation of Arnold? He's the only British host so far. The MIB considered something about the kid, then said he was "too small". Maybe Ford and Arnold were childhood friends, though, and this host is a representation of him.

Also, in last week's episode, am I nuts or did a human in the park start to tell the MIB that he admired the work he does in the real world? I have a feeling that outside Westworld, the MIB might actually be some kind of philanthropist. He made some comment to the guy to shut up, because here he's on vacation. I figure he's a guy getting out all his demons here.