main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

" we've analyzed their attack sir and there is a danger "

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by comet1440, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    I always wondered why it seems like the empire never tried really protect the death star , instead of sending vader to shoot them down , wouldnt it have been easier to throw something in the way of the vent , cover it with metal or close it off or something , If I was desperate I would have even ordered the tie pilots to suicide crash into the rebel fighters to kill them , it just seems like there were so many better ways to save the death star and no logical measures were taken .

just something I was thinking about ....

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's a ventilation shaft. Covering it with metal doesn't seem like a good idea.

Anyway..notice the only person able to hit it was a Force user. Not too many of those around.

3. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Now that I think about it, even though that commander of the Death Star was cocky about the battlestation, he was right, nobody was going to destroy that thing who was a normal person.

However, Vader knew if someone was there with the Force as his ally, he'd destroy the battlstation, therefore telling the guy not to underestimate the power of the Force.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    ^Yeah.

A story in Tales discusses this, albeit in funny format.

Tarkin: "Believe me, my Emperor, there is nobody in the galaxy who could pull off such a shot!"

Vader: "Ahem."

Tarkin: "Except, of course, Lord Vader."

Tarkin looks really peeved when he says this. It's a good little story.

5. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    Hey comet, it seems to me that the answer is in your question. They didn't realize that there was a danger UNTIL they analyzed their attack. In other words, the rebels were already attacking the shaft, so they just couldn't put anything out there to cover it up without probably being blown to bits themselves. Soooo.... they had to attack the rebels themselves "ship to ship", IMHO.

6. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    It's a funny thought, though. "Somebody get out there and stick some putty over that hole!"

7. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    Yeah, or maybe a giant piece of aluminum foil so the rebels couldn't tell it was a shaft!

8. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    DarthBoba, I love that Tales story, "A Death Star is Born."

Anyway, ya, as others have mentioned the Empire probably didn't see this sort of attack as a realistic threat until that one officer mentioned it to Tarkin. I wonder if that guy decided to take off by himself, just in case. Also keep in mind that the port was ray-shielded so it was protected somewhat - just not enough.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, even the Rebels thought it was impossible. Especially the wrong Wedge.

Didn't you ask a similar question not too long ago?

10. Darth_Bog

Darth_Bog Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    They should have used thermal exhaust port duct tape!

11. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    The reason the Death Star was so poorly defended during the attack was that Tarkin refused to launch the TIE squadrons, considering the rebel snubfighters incapable of causing any damage. So only Vader and his personal squadron went in pursuit of the rebels.

Really dumb, y'know. Having in mind the Death Star has 8000 TIEs onboard. 200 or so oughta be able to stop 30 rebels. [face_plain]

oh well, hope that answers your question ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.