main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We've Got A First Clip

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by ChewieWe'reHome, Nov 22, 2015.

1. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

Rey has focus, determination and leadership in the face of peril, while Finn at this point is running scared.

2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Uhhhh, and you know this how?

3. -Jedi Joe-

May 6, 2013
    That's merely what I got out of the clip. Rey is clearly at high alert but maintains her composure, while Finn is stressed and panicking. A few seconds can go a long way establishing the psychology of a character.

4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    And here I assumed they were continuing the time honored tradition of Star Wars characters wooden delivery of dialogue :D

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  5. -Jedi Joe-

May 6, 2013
    That's what we have Maz Kanata's "I see your eyes!" for. :p

6. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015

Haha! People so easily forget how wooden the OT acting was. But hey, silly delivery works in a silly space opera world. It's the story and spectacle that can carry the movies to another level all on their own.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    EXACTLY!

8. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    I am waiting as well... its hard but I have come this far...

9. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

From what I have seen thus far, the acting in this film might be one of the better ones. I would agree however, that the acting in Star Wars historically ranged between good to not-very-good. Doesn't help that some of the previous dialogue was somewhat clunky as well ("scruffy nerfherder", "rebel scum". "i don't like sand"), which seems to be somewhat improved this time around from the clips.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Better late than never.

Daisy and John's characters are running away from something or someone. There's an exchange of dialogue whilst they run; we see that they are running towards a ship which Daisy points at as their destination. Suddenly the ship is fired on and explodes. They both slide to a halt.

I know you've now seen the clip, so I'm putting this up for the benefit of others.

I kept the description deliberately vague (not even mentioning character names for those who don't know), but I think there's enough there to give anyone reading it an idea of the scene.

FTR, being thoroughly spoiled, I know exactly what's happening here. I don't personally think that there's anything in the scene that would necessarily spoil anything about the plot TBH, so risk it if you want.

On the sound: there is an updated version that was showing on Jimmy Fallon's show where the sound has been remastered. It's a distinct improvement for anyone who decides to watch the updated version.

Hope that helps! :)

Wally44 likes this.
  11. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    This clip is good. Facial muscles were moving and straining. Upper voice registers, probably upper volumes, were hit. The physical motion of the bodies was visceral and tied to the physics engine we call the universe.

And the serial adventure tone or note reminded me of a scene from TPM and a scene from ROTJ. So, good. And there's nothing like location shooting. Nothing like it.