main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wha??? No more double-bladed lightsaber???

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Short_Round, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Short_Round

Short_Round Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    How could they unleash the fury of this weopon in the first prequal installment of this saga, and then just decide that it's run it's course.

I know that the weopon is rare, but now, after the "supposed" completion of the saga, we are left to think that Maul was the only warrior skilled enough to wield it.

I would have liked to see at least one jedi swinging his blue/green double-bladed saber deflecting blaster bolts @ Geonosis. Or, after Bail is about to leave the Jedi Temple after the clones force him off, that young padawan comes flipping out with his duel blades gleaming.

2. SKSeven

SKSeven Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I think one of the reasons why only Maul used it was because it is, admittedly, unorthodox. Swords are generally easier to handle and more easily learned. I think the staff/double-ended lightsaber was meant to introduce the idea of Sith being extremely different, with different fighting styles and such, in a Jedi-heavy world. The Jedi, who appear to be not as used to it, would be caught off guard when Maul appeared.

The other two Sith apprentices were both former Jedi, and are thus already trained with a lightsaber. It can be difficult to go re-learn another weapon after becoming too familiar with one.

3. White_Lightsaber

White_Lightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Well in EU, the Jedi did use a double-bladed saber for training. But, this weopon is not limited to the sith.

Exar Kun was a single hilt wielding jedi before he fell to the dark side, and then created the double-bladed lightsaber.

I agree, I think the PT had room for a couple more duels with the double.

4. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    I was always under the assumption that double-bladed lightsabers were only used for training for Jedi becasue it is known as an "aggressive" weapon that only the Sith would use.

5. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    I was always under the assumption that double-bladed lightsabers were only used for training for Jedi becasue it is known as an "aggressive" weapon that only the Sith would use.

Why use it for training unless they plan to use it in battle.

Besides that, every lightsaber is an "aggressive" weopon. Any lack of aggression in a lightsaber duel will leave the said, "nonaggressive duelist" with a few severed body parts.

6. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Exactly, the Jedi use it as training against a Sith who may potentially use a double bladed lightsaber. In regards to the lightsaber itself, yes it's an aggressive weapon, but its a weapon that the Jedi only use for defense and never for attack. I think I should have stated that a double bladed lightsaber is more of an offensive weapon whereas a standard saber is HOPEFULLY used only in defensive situations.

7. BosskMaul

BosskMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    In KOTOR, the double-bladed lightsaber was more often associated with the dark side because it was used by those who relish fighting.

8. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    I like relish on my hotdogs.

9. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    I think its fine the way it is. It gives TPM its unique quality. FYI, there is a statue of a Jedi in front of the Jedi Temple holding what looks like a double saber.

10. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    From ROTS?

11. BosskMaul

Sep 29, 2004
    I always preferred a mix of catsup and mustard.

12. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    From ROTS?

Yep.

13. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    I always preferred a mix of catsup and mustard.

That's just wrong. Ketchup is the devil. Why you would mix a heavenly condiment like mustard in with that spawn of tomatoe hell is beyond me.

14. BosskMaul

Sep 29, 2004
    Omg. No you didn't. No you didn't!

I love catsup. I eat it just about everyday. I like it on everything. Even pancakes.

15. White_Lightsaber

May 9, 2005
    Which Jedi(s) could you picture wielding a lightstaff?

I can picture Kit Fisto with a green staff, based on his long strong swings of Form I. It should have been.

16. Lord_Alved_Pepom

Lord_Alved_Pepom Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Those damn Ogre Jedi's in the ROTS with the double sided green sabres=errr!

17. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Maul is the only Sith other than Palpatine that we see who has been trained as a Sith his whole life. Thereby he began using 2 sabers then advanced to the 2-bladed saber.

Jedi use 1 saber for the most part. Anakin and Dooku were Jedi before becoming Sith, and continue using 1 saber. Dooku trained Grievous, therefore Grievous only uses single-bladed sabers.

18. dee_dee24m

dee_dee24m Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    I'm personally glad it is only seen in TPM - it adds to that film's uniqueness, and to Maul specifically.

19. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    what he said.

yeah it was done. gimmic for the first one. adds to the coolness factor. redundent if used again and takes away from the first time.

oh and mustard.

20. GRANDPA_TARKIN

GRANDPA_TARKIN Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    BosskMaul wrote:

"In KOTOR, the double-bladed lightsaber was more often associated with the dark side because it was used by those who relish fighting."

But in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, it's totally acceptable to have a double bladed saber. While I do admit the game doesn't make much sense "How can a good guy use lighting?" the game portrays double bladed lightsabers to be more complex than a normal single bladed weapon.

Although I would have liked to see more double bladed lightsabers I like the fact that Maul only uses it. It makes him a much more unique character. Now if they could have only gotten rid of Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd, and the idea of midichlorians, and that film would have been better.

21. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Games have no bering on the actual SW universe. They are all "bottom rung" for canon.

At any rate, a double bladed saber is pretty much the dumbest thing ever invented. I'm glad it's not used ever again, it's just too absurdly dumb.

22. White_Lightsaber

May 9, 2005
    absurdly dumb?

I think ketchup is absurdly dumb.

23. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    It would have been a nice to have Grevious wield the double with his lower two limbs, and keep duel sabers in his top two.

24. True_Sith

True_Sith Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    double-bladed are absurdly dumb?
    How is that? Its the best weapon created.

25. Short_Round

Short_Round Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    here here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.