main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA What a year

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by sithmastersimon, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithmastersimon

sithmastersimon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    This is the thread where everyone here can post about what kind of year they have had. What monumental events occurred personally or what broader events affected you. Was there anything special that happened this year, a wedding perhaps, a birth, a new love? Feel free to share with everyone, what the year meant to you.

I'll go first

Well it was a good start to the year, about to go back to uni, exciting times, my life had changed for the better. I was really getting back into Star Wars as well, I had a new job, made some new friends, lost touch with some old ones, but still kept in touch with my closest oldest friends.

Around february I began uni, boy teaching is even harder than I thought it would be, and I thought it was gonna be really really hard to start off with anyway. In april I joined this forum WOOHOO, but wished Id joined it sooner, its hard to find a good group of ppl who have as much love for star wars as i do. Got through first semester ok, and then the countdown was over, it was May 19th, a day I'll never forget for as long as I live. I woke up at 6 in the morning, unable to sleep because of the excitement. If it wasnt for the fact that I had uni that morning, I would have been lining up at greater union inalloo since 8am. I got there at 3 and waited patiently on my own, making conversation with the ppl around me, sharing our love and memories of star wars.

The night was over and the high i had been on the for the past 24 hours had gone. ROTS was out, I saw it, I loved it, and i wanted more of it! 7 viewings at the cinemas later i realised i had seen it on the big screen enough, well any number of times is never enough really.

by mid year i was busy with prac, and my social life was out the door, but that was ok, things were still goin smooth

by september i was off to the MCG to watch my beloved west coast eagles in the afl grand final. However the outcome that day was not successful, yet the memories of watching that game will always be with me, something ill never forget

in october uni was over, to my parents sadness I moved out of home, living with three other crazy ass people, fun times

today i sit back and look back on a year that I believe is up there with the best of them, a lot really did happen, in my own life and in the lives of others

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Phhhhh....well, where do I start? Basically I got engaged on New Years' Eve, and I've been slowly reforming myself into a more complete person ever since that happened. I've felt as though I've been waking up after a long sleep for much of this year.

The biggest event has probably been "Knighthood", with all the pain, heartache, and joy that we've had trying to get the damn film onto the screen.

3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    What about the holiday? :p

4. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    Nothing really to report. My year has been the same as any other - pretty damn boring.

Work-wise, I left Belmont Woolies (my home for eight and a half years previous) to work at busy Morley. The change has been the best thing that's happened. I trained more people than I can count on one hand, only to see them not continue being cashiers. Is it me?

Love-wise? Are you crazy? Men are blind when it comes to me. The guy I like, likes me in return, but only wants to be friends. All I can say is, his loss, not mine. I'll stick to attracting flies.

Forum-wise, I lurked for a bit. Came back for a bit around ROTS, then left again. Decided to come back for good in July and I'm here to stay. I've made a great bunch of friends here, much better than the previous ones I've had off the boards.

5. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Shut up Nat, you Rock, and you know it!

I got promoted to a cushy job in a cubicle, so I could muck around on the net all day, and that's where i found this place!

Still with Irene, going well. ( I bought her Arwen's sword for Xmas, so I can guarantee sex for the next few years )

met Mark, Elliot, Michael (once, but I love ya tiger!) and Nat, along with Carissa (mithrissa) and Ender Sai. (So I've got someone to fight with next year)

Had a good one bring on 2006 mutha **** Oh yeah I'm on the boards!

6. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    Shut up? :mad:

And I do not rock. I'm a dag.

7. sithmastersimon

Apr 17, 2005
    You rock and you know it! :cool:

8. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I keep telling her that too. She never listens to me ...

Anyway, a fairly good year for me. Graduated from Uni. Made a pile of new friends, here and elsewhere. Shifted in and out of love, now settled in with a lovely lass named mithrissa ;) Shifted in and out of work too, currently out but I'm not too worried yet. Went to Sydney in feb, that was great fun. Hopefully I'll go back real soon.

Next year ... I'm aiming for a full time job, maybe a part time course in journalism to bolster my career. Keep the love strong. Maybe visit melbourne. After that, who knows.

9. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't listen to anyone. I'm generally a quiet person who keeps to herself. I've spent many a day by myself datdreaming. That's pretty much what I like to do outside of work.

10. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    But I think you're cool when you get out and about!! You're always funny.

Anyway, I like hanging out with ya, so that's what counts ;)

11. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
  12. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
  13. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    I didn't like being told to shut up though. Someone just came off my Christmas Card list.....

14. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    My year's been bloody busy. You're not the only teacher Simon. :)
    I just finished my 3rd year teaching upper school computing/business in Kalgoorlie. I think I probably had a bit too much on my plate this year so next year I should ease off the throttle a tad. In addition to a full teaching load, I was heavily involved in the school ball. Do the school website and intranet. did a lot of unofficial IT support around the school. Did the yearbook again (which was probably the real killer and the most thankless job). Was a presenter at the annual ECAWA conference (educational computing assoc. WA) All of these on top of my teaching load with no extra pay or time off. On top of that I also lectured at curtin Kalgoorlie campus at nights which thankfully, did pull in extra pay.
    I've been needing these holidays like never before!
    Next year I'll be doing the same but I'll get a better range of classes to teach and I think someone else can handle the yearbook. I will be lecturing one extra course at curtin next semester though so that will probably compensate for the lighter school load. :p
    Had 1 1/2 weeks off a couple of months ago. I got a severely infected finger which the doctors think was most likely from a white tail spider bit. Had an operation which involved cutting a big chunk of flesh out of my finger. The hole was about the size of a 10c piece and went right down to the bone. I had nurses coming around to change the dressing every day for about a month until the flesh more or less grew back. It will take a long time to really get back to normal though since what's there now is mostly just scar tissue covered in skin. That whole episode kinda sucked.
    Had a go at DJing in what passes locally for a club. The crowd was great but just not big enough so it didn't last all that long. All that seems to draw crowds in this town is pub rock or top 40 R&B. I haven't DJed on RTRFM for ages. I haven't on my last few trips to Perth. Not sure if I will next time I'm down. Maybe.
    In general my year's been good. One of the most productive years I've had since I got a lot of things done that I wanted to get done.

15. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Unfortunately this year hasn't been a very successful one for us.

We had planned to get married in August, but found that we wouldn't have been able to afford it so have pushed the date back, for the 3rd year in a row.

Soup has been nothing but stressed all year round because of the idiots he works with, although as the year draws to a close he will no longer have to deal with them as he has started work with a new company that will, hopefully, treat him better.

I started off the on such a high note because I finally had something resembling a job, working on a web site for a family "friend". I discovered soon after that I was in way over my head, but was determined to complete the job. 6 months later I'm still tackling the same problem but am finally beginning to figure it out and am just left with one bug to fix when the guy decided he no longer wanted my services and fired me without giving me any of the $5000 that was so close to being mine.

However, we did accomplish a few things in the year. We now actually own a bed, although we are still stuck with the old second-hand mattress from the old pile we used to sleep on. We didn't move house all year, a huge accomplishment considering we have moved at least 10 times in 6 years. We are no longer in debt to a friend, we no longer owe any money to Soup's parents and we are also several more steps closer to being completely debt free.

Next year will hopefully be a better one. Soup plans on going back to uni, this time to study primary teaching (is the course really that hard?) and I have finally settled on what I hope will be a career path and am going to be studying child care at TAFE. We are getting married no matter what next year (on our 7 year anniversary) and I can't wait.

16. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    If you change the wedding date we might all just turn up on your doorstep with a celebrant. :D Good to see we'll have another teacher around. I can just imagine Dan as a primary teacher. He'd be good at that.

17. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Chill Nat! I wasn't being serious when I said "Shut up"

I was having a dig at ya.;)

18. Symmbian

Symmbian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2004
    The last thing I?m going to do is complain about this last year.
    I learnt invaluable lessons.

I learnt to be a president you don?t have to be bright at all, much less graduate. On a tad of a downer I learnt to get anywhere you have to be a good people person, which I am totally inept in that department.

I learnt you can start a war with propaganda, perpetuate it by not actually reporting anything but what your opinions and beliefs are and then lie to justify the blood spilt.

I watched a beloved franchise of mine turn to complete rubbish by overly digitalizing it, and then realize a short time after, all six of the films are a commentary of our modern history.

I saw for the first time in my life the things I consider ?normalcy? fall completely down due to our own stupidity and over expectations.

And all of this contained in a reality that isn?t even ours, within a mind that doesn?t really even think.

Only one word describes this....pure wootage!

Well ok...two words.

Symm

19. Tarryn_Whiteheart

Tarryn_Whiteheart Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    Well, my year has been pretty good. I, like apparently everyone else, went back to University, studying a BEd in Secondary Teaching and a BSc in Mathematics. Also doing a Minor in Security and Counterterrorism studies, which is fun.
    As such, I am on holidays until late February, so if anyone wants help on any productions, let me know.

Almost finished a Dalek I started to build, which should be done soon. Same goes with the R5 unit.

Be well, all.

Andrew

20. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I got on a bus today, a regular bus, nothing fancy. Although strangely it was empty, so I sat, alone, listening to some music on my mp4 player until the next stop. Where an old man got on. Of course he naturally sits next to me (being the only space left on this empty bus) but I don't mind. Now, about 10 minutes later I realize that he's talking to me so I pop one headphone out, something about when he was in the army in 1962 or something. Almost always in-audible. Anyway, no sooner than I took my headphone out, he gets up and off the bus so I put my headphone back in and watch this man stumble away muttering something about how green it is this year. Which gets me thinking, 'why are all Transperth buses have green on them' I pondered this for about 5 minutes, coming to the conclusion that its one of 2 things. That being green will give it a more environmently friendly feel to the whole mass transport system or the second possibility that green is a colour thats very cool and calm. Which ironically is not what most bus drivers are like. They moan and groan and give the impression that they think that they're better than the rest of us because they control where and how fast the bus goes. Speaking of which, this bus was over halfway to the destination and still I was the lone sole passenger. Watching the streets go by I realized that buses really cant be making money, which is probably a bad thing in the long run, causing higher fares and giving those drivers more sense of power. With power costing as it does these days it's surprising more people don't use other means of illuminating their houses or entertaining themselves. Like that old favorite, eye spy. Why do Spy's bother, I mean really. Take a real spy, not one of these James Bond fantasies.. They cant tell anyone, cant reveal it and certainly cant fly off a cliff using a glider made of a used hankey and a half-dozen match sticks to evade capture. Heck, if you even attempt to defend yourself these days, you can be taken away by the authorities if you cause them any actual harm. I've never understood the feeling of purposly wanting to harm someone for no good reason. I guess its down to the personal definition of the persons morality that's in question. But that isn't enough, you can and probably will go to jail if you take the law into your own hands. Although, being captured and imprisoned must be one of the worst tortures I could imagine, I cant say I have a huge threshold for pain etc, but I think just being held in a cell, alone, hungry, dirty and probably going mad with boredom would be the end of me rather than conventional torture. Which is probably similar to the realization that I'm still on this slow, silver & green, totalitaristic people moving, anti-spy delusion busting machine.. and I've missed my stop. So I get off, alone still I realize that this rant possibly could sum up my year...

But if I look back at it, although all of those things, I still kind of had fun ;) in a odd sort of way...
    :-B

21. Tarryn_Whiteheart

Tarryn_Whiteheart Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    Stinky, you're a very disturbed, unsettled person :)

Love your work =D=

22. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Are you a sock of Woody Allen?

I imagined that whole thing in a neurotic little Jewish new Yorker's voice!

23. sithmastersimon

Apr 17, 2005
    Hmmm if he starts dating women young enough to be his daughter then that'd be freaky

24. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Who says Im not already?

25. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.