main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what about padme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    one thing that has always bothered me about the star wars saga is that in ROTS all anakin wants is for his wife to be safe saying that he cant live with out her exc. and all padme wants is to be with him and raise her family becouse she equally loves him.then she dies as we all know and at the end of the saga (and the end of anakins story arc) we see anakin as a force ghost smiling and happy as if he is complete but wouldn't he care about padme? this may sound corny but please bear with me, if anakin is a force ghost and is going to live forever in the force and stuff wouldn't he be lonely with out padme? if he is in a kind of "jedi heaven" then what kind of afterlife or "heaven" is padme in? what is padme's story arc? basically my question is do padme and anakin ever get reunited in the force somehow? and do you think it is possible for this kind of thing to happen between a jedi and a person that has not learned how to regain consciousness after death?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    My personal everyone-gets-to-be-happy-theory is that everyone gets their own chunk of the afterlife, but only the Forcers who've figured out how to ghost can actually be seen. And the whole retaining-your-identity thing is just the Jedi explanation for another thing they don't fully understand.

3. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Maybe he is with Padme but as a Jedi Anakin is the only one who can "return from the netherworld of the Force" to be seen by Luke. It would have been nice for Anakin to appear and then say, "By the way, this is your mother" and have Padme appear beside him though.

4. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Anakin may have been forgiven, but sometimes you have to live with your mistakes, even if it is forever.

5. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    oh gosh. i would probably kill myself if that ever happened :p

yah, i'm just guessing that Padme is in some sort of "heaven" but she can't be seen. and perhaps Anakin is with her when he isn't appearing to Luke and everyone else.

6. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    i just wish there was some way to explain it because it seems that she has no story arc like anakin and every one just forgets about her. is there anything that suggests a jedi might be able to communicate with other people that are dead that are non-jedi? as specially force users?

7. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    It's not accurate to say she's forgotten. Luke asks Leia about her, and Leia (evidently through Force visions) speaks of her memory. Moreover, in a very real way, Luke carries Padme's dying words through to fruition: "There is good in him." This, then, must be Padme's legacy: Her perception that some part of Anakin remains, she imparts (through the mystery of the Force?) to Luke, who sees it become a reality.

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Definitely agree on the first part. :p

The second part I basically agree with too, really.

I don't know of anything that does.

9. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

now that you mention it vaders last words to luke are to tell his sister that he was right about him,now think about this for a sec. padme's last words are "there is still good in him" and throw the 2nd half of ROTJ luke is saying the same thing, so another words padme never gave up on him(his wife) luke didn't give up on him(his son) and so it makes perfect sense that when he was ready to finally accept death before he could be complete he wanted leia(his daughter) to know the same thing. brilliant!!! i never thought about it that way before.[face_coffee]

10. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000

"You must let go off all the things you fear to loose"

Anakin let go of his fear.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    The way I understand it, everyone becomes one with the Force losing their individuality to become part of the whole, but the Jedi who figure out the secret are able to retain their identity.

So Padme's life force is recycled, but her personality is gone.

12. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Symbolically, it makes sense that Padmé appears forever lost as an individual.

Padmé is last bloom of the Old Republic, both physical and moral. Her name is a variant of Padma, the lotus. The lotus generally holds the same religious significance in as the rose does to the Greco-Roman traditions.** As the Old Republic is crushed, Padmé, like her namesake lotus, returns to her source in her watery funeral gown with the seeds of rebellion safely scattered. No matter how abundant and prosperous the offspring, that mother bloom will not return as an individual.

Within the logic of the story, there is a practical explanation. As Luke has no visual memory of his mother, it would not make sense to have her appear unless the Force Ghosts can speak while making the joint appearance. Otherwise, without introduction, the unknown woman could be Sabé or some unknown woman Jedi for all Luke would know.

One would think that the Force Ghosts would speak if they could in the joint appearance, yet they do not speak, as if they, perhaps because Anakin is so new, do not yet have the ability to speak while appearing together.

In the context of ROTS, where Anakin proclaims he cannot live without her, it would be apt punishment for him to have immortality without her individual presence.

**Compare the attributes of the sacred lotus with those of the rose. Dante even imagined Paradise in the form of a white rose. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padma_%28attribute%29

13. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Padmé is last bloom of the Old Republic, both physical and moral. Her name is a variant of Padma, the lotus. The lotus generally holds the same religious significance in as the rose does to the Greco-Roman traditions.** As the Old Republic is crushed, Padmé, like her namesake lotus, returns to her source in her watery funeral gown with the seeds of rebellion safely scattered. No matter how abundant and prosperous the offspring, that mother bloom will not return as an individual.

Awesome.QFT.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    She seems to be on top of things.

15. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    I think it's a time cures all things moment. Meaning when He tosses Sidious over the ledge he let's go of everything that has substained his life. Anger, power, pride, the death of his Wife.

16. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    but what happens to her? can anakin see her after he dies? just becouse hes a force ghost does not mean that he cant talk to people in the after life does it???? and what the hell do you do when you are a force ghost? just hang around and look dramatic waiting for someone to ask you for advice?[face_thinking]:confused:

17. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Obi-rob, your questions have already been answered within the body of the thread. From the commentary, interviews and on-screen evidence, it appears that all persons lose their individual identity upon their death, except those few Jedi who are able to retain their identity as spirits. Thus, Padme has passed on and lost her individual identity. Anakin must endure her loss -- if Force-spirits even feel such emotions, which is unclear.

18. flashbang

flashbang Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2008
    The idea that while her legacy lives on, Padme herself ceases to exists makes her a much more tragic figure. Still I would prefer that there was some afterlife for the dead, and that only Jedi have the ability to travel back and forth between that and the real world. Knowing that everyone without Jedi training just ceases to exists is quite depressing. :(

19. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    exactly thats what i mean.[face_hypnotized]

20. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Well, Darth Vader slaughtering little children is depressing too. But, life goes on. Padme is dead and gone, never to return from beyond. Anakin having the ability to see Padme whenever he wished would teach us that negative actions don't have consequences. Its far deeper to keep some element of tragedy in Anakin's story even if he was redeemed...and that element being Padme lost forever...knowing he was ultimately responsible for her death.

21. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    People only "cease to exist" in a specific, individual form. Their essence -- their 'soul' if you will -- joins the Force and so continues on as part of the energetic foundation for all reality. There's nothing depressing about this, as far a I can see.

22. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    That's pretty much how i see it too. A force ghost is pretty much what happens when ya have a connection through the force between two force users. This would explain why Luke never sees anyone besides the three Jedi he knew. Meanwhile those who transformed into the force but didn't retain their identity would still feel the connection just as Yoda suggests in Episode 5 how everything is connected through the force

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Probably not.

YODA: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.
    :)

24. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    one word
    Reincarnation

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    four words
    former identity completely gone

Thread Status: