main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what about padme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think it's important to note that only Luke sees the other force ghosts. Leia and the others do not because they see with their physical eyes not with the force. It's like one has to be in tune with the force to see past the physical world and into the netherworld. This is the fundamental lesson Obi Wan was teaching Luke in Episode 4 on board the 'Falcon'. I think the image of ghost forms are merely a way for the film maker to project to the audience that their presense is there, connected with Luke's own force presense. Yoda in Episode 2 gets a faint sense of Qui Gon but Mace does not. This is an important distinction because it shows that the force ghost isn't a rebirth into something tangible or even visible and for all intents and purposes they are the same as all spirits from the netherworld; even those with no force ability at all. The difference is, they can be sensed by those who can quiet their mind enough to feel them. And only because they in their understanding of the true nature of the force can extend themselves beyond their physical death to make contact with those gifted enough to sense them. Yoda keyed in on Qui Gon because of his exceptional attunement to the force and was able to guide Obi Wan on how to achieve this as well. That doesn't mean that Mace might not have been able to do this, he just didn't have the 800 years of experience that Yoda had.

Later, Luke is able to sense the others because of his exceptional attunment inherited through Anakin's bloodline. Yoda makes it clear in episode 3 that when beings die they transform into the force. They don't pass into oblivion; they go specifically to the force. This suggests that all living beings are tied to the force and only the most gifted who are blessed with the midichlorian count high enough to hear the will of the force, can use it to do supernatural things. This makes it clear in MY mind, that although Padme and others not force empowered, may be lost to the beings left behind in the physical world; they most definately are in complete connection with all beings transformed into the force. This includes those who have transcended to the force ghost level of consciousness. I see the force ghost as a sort of ambassador of the spirit world; not a being cut off from that presense, but completely tied into it. What this means is, even though we don't see Padme; she is definately there with Anakin. She's in the trees, the rocks, the air and the people celebrating the end of tyranny. Anakin, Yoda and Obi Wan are there as well: in the trees, the rocks, the air and the people, but also projected in Luke's awareness of the vast and mysterious force around him.

Transcending to the force ghost consciousness is not an isolation from the afterlife; that's what the darkside is about and perhaps what the Emperor was empowered by: the infuence of an unnatural part of the force seeking 'more' life in the physical world at the expense of the natural balance of things. The force ghosts in relation to the rest of the force is in my view comparable to a giant auditorium where everyone is together but only a few have cell phones and can call the few people outside the auditorium who have a personal connection with them.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They do not seem to dwell in the netherworld. In ROTS, Qui-Gon is referred to as having returned from the netherworld.

3. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    That's possible. There's nothing to suggest that Qui Gon couldn't or wouldn't go back to the netherworld once he'd returned from it or that he wasn't still in connection to it. It's a journey that brought him from that place but it's not something defined as a one way trip.

4. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    that is my point, no knowledge of anybody in her past life. which has it's positives, No More Jar Jar.:)

5. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    The following is from the Lucasbooks-published Annotated Screenplays, edited by L. Bouzereau (p. 181):

"[During the early story sessions for ESB] George Lucas and Leigh Brackett had lengthy discussions about Luke's training with Yoda and decided to turn the lessons into proverbs and commandments. ... The Force also was discussed in great detail. In the story meeting transcripts George Lucas defined the Force as follows: The act of living generates a force field, an energy. That energy surrounds us; when we die, that energy joins with all the other energy. There is a giant mass of energy in the universe that has a good side and a bad side. We are part of the Force because we generate the power that makes the Force live. When we die, we become part of that Force, so we never really die; we continue as part of the Force."

I hope that sheds some light on the matter at hand.

6. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    Haha, I thought the same thing.

7. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    What always kind of got me about Padme was her behavior on Mustafar. As written, she was comforting, collected and accepting when Anakin told her that he had wiped out a village including the kids and women. Her chastisement was to marry him. (?) Then she aksed him to be honest with her about his dream (concerning her death at childbirth) and when he was, she blew it off - knowing that the last time he'd had such a dream, it ended in his taking actions that were horrendous. (?) Finally, he tells her that he found a way to ensure she was kept safe. Now it seems to me at that point a HUGE red flag would be waving in front of her face - flaming even. But she pretty much overlooks that as well. So then we get to Mustafar and Padme accuses Anakin of changing - but wasn't it Padme who changed? She is the one who is suddenly up in arms because he wiped out the Jedi - granted, they aren't an unknown bunch of Tuskens, but still, a life is a life isn't it? But for some reason, now Anakin has gone to far for her, headed down a path she cannot follow...albeit she has been following him down that path since they married.

I realize poor Padme was merely reading scripts, but for a strong minded woman of high morals, who was Queen and then Senator and who fought fiercely for 'good' in relation to the Senate, her scripts were written rather poorly. I realize her love for Anakin was supposed to be the sun and the moon to her (and his love for her as well) - and that would explain how they ended up as they did when she arrived at Mustafar. But then even the love went temporarily out of the window (making it questionable) when she declared she'd reached her limit and he choked her.

All I could figure was that her declaration that he was on a road that she could not follow and his choking her were both heat of the moment "lies". Because the last thing we hear from them about one another is Padme insisting there is still good in Anakin (she loves him) and Anakin nearly breaking up the galaxy when he found out she was supposedly dead (he loves her).

Oddly written that...

8. Master-David

Master-David Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2006
    The thing is, Padme and Anakin were in love. She overlooked those 'minor' incidents because she cared for him. She has tried to help him and comfort him through their whole marriage but when she discovers that he killed the defenceless younglings and he has tried to rationalize his actions, she realizes that he is no longer the man she loved. Anakin has fallen so deeply and now stands for everything Padme is fighting against, and she cannot follow him down his path.

Even when she is on her deathbed becuase of Anakin, she still loves the real him so much that she is willing to defend him in her final breath. She never stopped loving him, the real Anakin, and that love eventually brought about his redemption. He saw the love of his life's son being tortured by Sidious and he finnaly proved Padme right.

There was still good in him.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    From her POV the Tuskens were just a bunch of Tusken Raiders who had abducted and killed moisture farmers in an unprovoked attack, and the Jedi were defenders of the Republic.

10. Master-David

Master-David Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2006
    sorry i didnt really answer the question of the tread did i?

i think that she has become part of the force when she died because as yoda stated in ROTS "Rejoice for those around you who transform into the force..." therefore, she does go into the force but i dont know about her retaining her former self. only a handful of the most wise jedi masters have been able to learn this ability (except anakin, who learned from qui-gon, obi-wan and yoda) so it is very unlikely that pame would even know about it.

11. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    That's correct, Master-David. Lucas during the writing of ESB pretty much nailed down the concept of the Force and the idea that when we die, our life-energy "joins with all the other energy. ... We are part of the Force because we generate the power that makes the Force live. When we die, we become part of that Force, so we never really die; we continue as part of the Force."

12. Jedi_Master_Adara

Jedi_Master_Adara Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2008
    Padme' wasn't force-sensitive..

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    when i watch ROTJ i like to think that padme and anakin are together at last in the netherworld of the force and they can rest in piece becouse of it.@};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.