What accents can't you tolerate?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MOTs_Minx, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrixMakin Jedi Knight

star 2
    So a -hose beast- is kind of like a crestied female?

I work in a call centre, so I know which accents really annoy, when you hear them, over, and over, and over and over. Believe me.

Surrey, Liverpool, Essex, and Glaswegian are hardest on the ear. South Coast also. But mostly Surrey. Or the more impenetrable end of Devonshire accents. but they're mostly easy enough to understand.

The ones that make you glad to hear them:

Brummie (it's lovely and soft, and even angry customers don't sound too peeved)
    Mancunian, Lancs or Preston (Nice to hear. Colloquialisms a plenty, OK mate?)
    Notts (Very clear pronunciation, usually sound calmer than other areas)
    South African (unless they're angry)
    Softer scottish accents, i.e: Edinburgh.

Oh and note: if you guys ring your ISP, dont be nasty to the poor beggar on the end of the phone. It's not their fault. They can't break the rules regarding refunds for you, or they'd have to do it for everyone. Also, contrary to customer belief, we dont have a magic 'fix customer's connection' button on our desks. And speak clearly! Our ears our full of wax through ear infections caused by sharing headsets with every other person in the building. We also have permanent colds from sharing headsets. I saw the flu sweep our place and knock out 50% of our staff in two days.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.