main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Album Did You Just Hear?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    So, I couldn't find a thread like this one. I'd been posting my album reviews in the What Song Are You Listening To thread, but maybe it's time for a thread like this one. Or am I the only one around here who still listens to albums?

A Farewell to Kings (1977) - Rush

[​IMG]

So, I got this Rush boxset. Rush has always been a hole in my musical education. The members of Rush are renowned for the technical skill, but I just never really got around to listening to them for some reason. So I got a boxset that contained five of their albums remastered. I kinda wanna talk about each album separately though, even though I may not have a whole lot to say. This was their fifth album and it’s the one that came immediately after the album many consider their best, 2112. It’s short, just a bit over thirty minutes and I found it pleasant enough. It features two really long tracks, Xanadu, over 11 minutes, and Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage, over 10 minutes. Those tracks are memorable, I suppose, even if they’re not particularly great. I mean, just the title of that last one turns me off; Xanadu has some nice rocking riffs in it though. Prog isn’t a genre that really speaks to me, so I’m not particularly enamored of these long, multi-time signature, thematic pieces; I find them to be variable, though I did love ELP’s Tarkus (and really everything I’ve heard from ELP). Still, I found a couple of the shorter songs to be the better ones here. I dug Closer to the Heart, which is the closest thing here to a pop song; it’s got a solid, catchy melody. And Cinderella Man, based on Mr. Deeds Goes to Town of all things, was also pretty great. Still, I found this album to be mostly forgettable; fun to play the drums with though. But just judging it musically, I mean, there’s certainly great technique, but it’s all in service of pretty forgettable songs and the longer songs smack of great artistic pretensions without ever really delivering. On the whole, I’d call it an average album; nothing just horribly wrong with, but nothing really good either. I’d say don’t waste your time on it. Recommended against. 2 stars.

tl;dr – couple of songs are solid, if not particularly remarkable; the musicians have great technical skill, but no songs to apply said technique too. Promises great art, but fails to deliver. 2 stars.

Any Rush fans around here are going to have a lot to look forward to as I crank out six negative reviews, I must say. No, actually some of my reviews are more positive than this; unfortunately, at least one of them is definitely going to be more negative. Rogue, no one cares about Rush anymore. Point taken.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I pretty much only listen to albums. However, here's the typical listening experience:

8:30 - Weather Report

That sure was a Weather Report album that I've listened to several times before. 10/10 would do math to.

Good thread idea, though.

3. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Today, and a couple of times in the past week or so, I've been listening to:

[​IMG]

Because I'm not long-winded, I copied this description from Wikipedia:
    "Lindsey Stirling is the debut studio album by violinist and artist Lindsey Stirling, whose popularity grew from her appearance on America's Got Talent and a large following on YouTube. Her first album of original compositions, it topped the category of Classical Albums and Dance/Electronic Albums in Billboard and reached number 79 on the Billboard 200."

So, its a violin/electronic blend of music, most of the songs are pretty catchy and upbeat. A couple slower songs but they are also not bad. There are no vocals for the most part, which is a good thing; vocals would just distract from the music. A couple of my favorite tracks at the moment are "Moon Trance" and "Minimal Beat". I'd recommend this album if you like stuff like 2 Cellos.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I can't see Rush without thinking of Krieger and his vans in Archer. :(

I'm currently working through...

[​IMG]

deafheaven, "Sunbather"

This album came out last year, and got glowing reviews - to the point that on Metacritic aggregate it was the highest rated album, critically, of 2013. There's huge hipster love for these guys, which turns some traditional BM fans off but honestly, I think there's a work of art here.

Basically, deafheaven combine black metal vocals with music that's more akin to shoegaze or "post-rock". If you know your Mogwaim Russian Circles or Explosions In Your Trousers The Sky then you have an idea for the music here. Add the shrieking of black metal (not to be confused with the Cookie Monster sounds of death metal), beautiful vignettes in between songs and a cover designed to look like the image you'd see staring up at the sun through closed eyes and you have Sunbather.

The vocals, frankly, might turn some people off but I urge you to open the lyrics to opening track Dreamhouse up, listen to the song (the lyrics helping you understand the Varg-sounding vocals) and tell me if it's not beautiful. Then grab the whole album, and enjoy.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    PEARL JAM RIOT ACT,
    [​IMG]

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Considering you can listen to whole albums on youtube these days...

dookrubbins likes this.
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    but this is the last album you heard thread not the last album you purchased and listened to tread, I bought the Pearl Jam CD a couple of years ago it is one of my favorite PJ Albums !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they change the pitch and there are commercials on youtube it's not like the old days :(

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

They have to be real albums, full of good music which rules out Dr Who soundtracks.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Grateful Dead
    To Terrapin: Hartford '77

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Aretha Franklin, This Christmas

Only partway through, but it already has the hallmarks of a classic entry into the genre. Franklin's "Angels We Have Heard On High" in particular, is a memorable tour de force. Always a perceptive artist, she gets that the song is fundamentally about the "Gloria" part. Given a song that targets her strong suite, she readily unleashes the full power of her vocal register. The results are incredible. Try to resist singing along by the time the song gets to its crescendo.

5/5 Stars

Bor Mullet and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Deafheaven, gets 7 out of 5 stars, simply so you know it's better than Wocky's seasonally inappropriate music.

Frank T. likes this.
  14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The Complete Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack, recently released by Grant Kirkhope for free.

It is like injecting nostalgia into my ears and it is wonderful.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    One of the new Prince ones, Plectrum Electrum. Nice the little guy is rocking his guitar again, but can't shake the feeling that you're listening to a so-so Lenny Kravitz album. 6/10.

yankee8255 likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Allman Brothers' Live at the Fillmore on vinyl. [face_cowboy] (pretend that's a fedora)

17. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    carpet

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Inspiral?

19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Iron Maiden: Live After Death double album. Classic.

DarthRelaxus and Ender Sai like this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    If retail stores can already start putting their Christmas stuff out, Wocky can post reviews of Christmas albums, especially if it's one by the great Aretha Franklin.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Either the best live album ever or damn close to it.

22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The Breeders - Pod.... I don't want to review it, though. I'll embed it, and you can decide for yourself.

wall of sick likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As a Clapton fanboy, I'm partial to the Derek and the Dominoes album of the same name. :p But they're both very good.

25. Isotope217

Isotope217 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2002
    Currently listening to this one:

Archer Prewitt -- Wilderness
    [​IMG]