main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Album Did You Just Hear?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Good record. Did you get the single disc edition or the double disc version?

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Single disc...didn't even know there was a double, that's all they had at the store.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The double is weird, very different from your typical deluxe greatest hits. The second disc is all the songs from the first disc, only newly re-recorded. I don't know that the double is really worth buying; I mean, it's the classic versions that you really want. But it's just so different that I was curious to hear what you thought if you'd heard the double. Strange idea. But it is Robert Smith.

TryWhistlingThis likes this.
  5. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Zeppelin! One of the later albums where Page took the lead.

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

It's like a hip hop Aphex Twin.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  8. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

And it's actually a pretty good one. I only picked it up last week. I've been going through them one by one in order and I was dreading this one because of the reputation is has as being one of their lesser albums. It simply isn't, it's great. One or two tracks are clear lesser additions to the albums, but as a whole the album flows nicely. Easily their most underrated. I personally prefer it to LZ2.

ShaneP likes this.
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah Presence is good as an album. It might be overlooked because it came later in their album chronology(only had In Through The Out Door left as studio releases) and after these really giant releases of LZI-IV, Houses, and the double Graffiti. But you're right that it does have some standout tracks. Achilles, one of their monster songs, is there. Interesting that following this Page-dominated album ITTOD would lean more heavily in John Paul Jones' direction with keyboards and even synths. Those last two studio albums have their own distinct Page and Jones stamp on them, while still being LZ.

Quite a band.

TryWhistlingThis likes this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    fleetwood mac's rumors was the last album i listened to. i also happen to be listening to it right now. i think it might be the album i've heard the most times. from the time it came out it was my mom's jam so it's kind of the soundtrack for some of my really early memories. i still think it's brilliant. it's so wildly inconsistent in style and tone and at the same time so strangely cohesive. i think the rhythm section just pulls it together. this is starting to sound like a patrick bateman rant. i should have said "the rhythm section of fleetwood and mcvie". anyway, great record.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Isotope217 like this.
  11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

The complete version that was released a few years ago, so with no bleeping and every track and bit of incidental talking. With all of that included, this one is very much on level ground with At Folsom Prison. And just never ever gets old.

Almost everything Cash did was great, particularly all his numerous collaborations with Rick Reuben in the 90s onward. But he was still at his very best when live. I genuinely don't think we'll ever see another performer quite like him, particularly in his ability to connect with his audience in such a casual and comfortable way. So his live stuff really shines.

12. Isotope217

Isotope217 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2002
    McVie's bass playing is underrated and really integral to their signature sound imo.

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis and tom like this.
  13. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i heard julia holter's have you in my wilderness on my way to work today, because i purposely chose to listen to it. it's really good. i thought it was a bit hipster but then i saw it advertised on the tube so it can't be that much

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That pops into my head every once in a while too. As I'm sure you can imagine. :p

I've heard the complete San Quentin too. It's very much on a level with Folsom if not . . . sacrilege maybe . . . actually better? [face_quandary] Well, luckily we don't have to choose. But I do love San Quentin. It's really hard for me to pin down my favorite Cash; the early stuff for Sun is so great, the Rubin stuff is so great and the live stuff, I mean, yeah, what an electrifying performer. And as electrifying as he is live on album, it's got to be only the merest shadow of actually seeing him in the flesh. But again, luckily I don't have to choose, so I'll just say it's all great.

ManlyEwok likes this.
  15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Star Wars The Force Awakens OST

Jedi Knight Fett and ManlyEwok like this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [​IMG]

Megadeth, DYSTOPIA

Ahhh, Megadeth. An angry, underappreciated but inarguably superior band that has forever been driven by its insecure egomaniac ginger lead, Dave Mustaine. Capable of unbridled brilliance - Rust in Peace - they also have a tendency to stray into mediocrity if complacent.

Mustaine, for those who don't know, was the best guitarist Metallica ever had. After being booted out he has forged a career being angry at them for mistreatment... back in 1982. He started out quite left leaning and progressive and became a right wing twit after 11 September 2001.

This is relevant because after two mediocre albums - Th1rt3en (2011) and Supercollider (2013) - he's come back with a musically solid, lyrically terrible album that's actually a really good listen. There's a fire and a technical proficiency here that invokes their older stuff, but there's also lyrics that Beezer or J-Rod would nod their heads in agreement with.

Still, for a guy in his mid-50s Mustaine is still a talented guitar player and he's still making interesting enough albums so...

7/10

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've been listening to Before the Flood. Live album by Bob Dylan and The Band on used vinyl. A mixture of truly epic and slightly overblown to my ear. Not dull though! 7.5/10.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Isotope217

Nov 24, 2002
  19. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    One of the first albums I ever owned. I recently bought it on vinyl again.

Dagobahsystem and Isotope217 like this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

On my turntable... because I'm a snob.

21. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm sorry that I can only like this once.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was feeling inspired. Earlier, I was playing Hurt on my guitar and my wife walked into the house while I was howling "You could have it all... my empire of dirt" and she calmly informed me that God and the neighbors were grateful for my offer.

23. Isotope217

Nov 24, 2002
    You should take it out for a spin!

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Someone once walked into my office as I was playing The Man Comes Around on the CD player and quoting along to the spoken word section.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I always find it strange when people say the Cash version of hurt is better. It's literally the bottom of the Downward Spiral that the NIN protagonist went through and it has all gis pain and emptiness surging through it. Cash's version lacks any of the darkness it needs.

Dagobahsystem likes this.