main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Album Did You Just Hear?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

This was the first Bathory album I ever listened to when I was 9. Picked it up for $3 on sale. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Ramza likes this.
  2. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Double post.

3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Turnstiles by Billy Joel

...And Justice For All by Metallica

Those are the last 2 records I've heard.

4. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Drunken Sailor, by The Irish Rovers

Salty Dick's Uncensored Sailor Songs, by Salty Dick (Very, very NSFW)

Asplundhe likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm not fully decrying it! I do love the first 4 minutes or so but it kind of loses me in the middle section and I just don't think it's better than Call of Ktulu. That's all.

Can we go back to lambasting Rogue for not liking Fight Fire With Fire? I mean, come on! :p

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I accept your surrender.

Rogue1-and-a-half, BF2K1 is quite right to bring us back to your sin.

Back in the day when Metallica had Jason Newsted and he was cool even if they weren't, I saw a version they did when, during the lyric:

"The
    Gods
    Are Laughing"

Jason did the most metal laugh ever, making a great track even better.

Now, the bass intro is amazing, but I put it to you sir, I put it to you that aside from that intro the song "My Friend of Misery" is total pants. Arguably, "The Struggle Within" is also pants and filler, as it's not as good as "Through the Never".

Ergo, your comments sir are without merit and I call into doubt your entire existence.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  8. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    dos dedos mis amigos by pop will eat itself

9. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

One of the most epic albums ever recorded.

Ramza likes this.
  10. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    That's the last place I would've expected to see a Black Metal parody.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Honestly, better than Death Magnetic. More variation to the guitar tones rather than the chugga-chug-chug of that album while mostly keeping the songs at a good length. DM's most frustrating point, for me, was that it was a sixty minute album expanded to seventy five minutes. Around five or six songs could have, and should have, had their length halved give the repetition of the riffs. This one seems to have more going on despite only being two tracks and three or so minutes longer. The stronger half is easily the first disc.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Just listened to Metallica's Hardwired...To Self Destruct as well and I honestly thought it was a decent album. The first disc (why is it 2 discs?) is pretty solid and is much better than the second, which is a bit forgettable with the exception of the final song (Spit Out the Bone) which I like quite a bit. Granted, I didn't have the highest of expectations, especially after reading Ender's review earlier, but I have to say it's better than I expected. I might actually like this better than Death Magnetic but that could change once the "new" factor wears off.

13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Sound quality.

They asked James in an interview and they said that to compress the album onto the one disc would impair the sound. I half believe him. Death Magnetic definitely had compression issues but this album (and DM for that matter) is shorter than Load - the latter still having the best sound quality. If that genuinely is the reason, then it's a good move because the quality surpasses DM. But, we'll need a resident audiophile to validate James' claim.

14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    If you're feeling sinister, belle and Sebastian

20 years old today <3

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well. A few things.

On MoP/Every Album Has a Dud: I would probably put Damage Inc. as my least favorite song on MoP, but I wouldn't get anywhere near calling it a "dud." The assertion that Orion would be the worst track on ANY album is laughable. It is a strong, strong contender for best rock instrumental ever. Like, right now, if we're talking like post-1970, I can't think of another one I'd put in that category. Orion is brilliant.

On The Black Album: Upon reperusal of the track listing, I will note that the last three tracks are quite weak. My Friend of Misery, The God That Failed & The Struggle Within are all pretty bland. But the first nine tracks are all solid (yes, even Holier Than Thou, which, despite being the least interesting of the first nine tracks has stuck in my mind quite vividly) and many of them are genuinely great. This brings me to my next topic . . .

On Metallica Albums Just Being Too Damn Long: Shave those last three tracks off of The Black Album and you have something approaching masterpiece; shave those three tracks off and the album is around forty-seven minutes. More like the length of Kill 'Em All (51 minutes), RtL (47 minutes) and MoP (54 minutes). Now I have obvious reservations about RtL, but think about those lengths. Meanwhile, AJFA is 65 minutes and you don't necessarily have to cut any songs to make it better, but you could absolutely cut a good minute from every song (except One & Dyer's Eve maybe) and some of those songs should be a good two to three minutes shorter. Now we have a double album and I spotted the criticism above that it was a sixty minute album expanded to seventy-five minutes. Maybe Metallica needs to make a taut album again; give me a forty-five minute Metallica album - it would probably be great.

On Compression: it probably has some basis in reality that putting all seventy-eight minutes of the new one on a single disc might have caused some obvious compression issues. It's more likely that putting all seventy-eight minutes of the new one on one disc would have given people the excuse to say the album had compression issues. After the Death Magnetic compression debate, I think this one probably got put on two CDs because, whether it actually markedly changes the actual compression issues, it makes it hard for people to say it has those issues. It's a smart decision. Unfortunately, they probably made the decision to do two discs before finalizing everything and that's why it got bloated to seventy-seven minutes. There are circles within circles here.

But anyway, Orion is amazing and I will listen to Fight Fire with Fire again.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Pretty much this for me, too. It's not excellent, but so far it seems good, solid, and enjoyable to listen to. I got it through iTunes and wondered about the track numbering; I didn't realize until reading here that the CD version has two CDs in it.

18. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

One of the best black metal albums ever recorded. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So I got the physical copy of Hardwired, because why not, and whilst the audio quality is notably better than Death Magnetic the album is still flatter to me. In that... this is absolutely going to rank up there with "Garage Inc" in your collection.

20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    One of my eternal extreme metal trinity spins from the 80s (the other two are Darkness Descends by Dark Angel and Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos)

No matter how hard I try, I can never shake my love for old Celtic Frost or Martin Ain... this album is so much fun. As much as I respect and enjoy later CF (not Triptykon), I love their faster stuff. I remember pouring over this album with the double sleeve and the lyrics in 1984 for hours on end. Trying so hard NOT to headbang to Dethroned Emperor and failing miserably. I'll feel that tomorrow.

Talos of Atmora likes this.
  21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Saying Hardwired is better than DM is not an improvement. Saying it is Metallica's best in twenty years is an improvement. I expected more from this record sans Rubin but perhaps too much considering it is still using his mixing and engineering partner, Greg Fidelman.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's not their best in 20 years. DM had much more "Metallica-esque" songs than this. This is dialled in.

It's also pissweak compared to Endgame or Dystopia.

23. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
  24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Going further through the re-issues. Focusing on the second album this week, the darker and more cynical followup to their pop/rock debut. The bonus material, once again, is excellent. Though, the studio outtakes are fewer on this one. Only nine of the twenty one tracks on this disc are studio or home demos which amount to seventeen minutes out of the seventy one minute set. I expected to actually prefer the archive material on this disc the least out of the first two but I think I might prefer the bonus material of this album compared to the first. I'm not one for live recordings but they've captured something special here with this set. The banter of the band, the performances and just the overall feel is there. But, there are some absolute studio gems in there too which include the band breaking out into an acoustic version of INXS' Need You Tonight.

As for the main album, i've always loved it as it was one of the first albums that started me off with the band. I've always been mixed as to which I prefer the most out of the first two albums because they are stylistically different and, each in their own right, achieve the type of album that is being recorded. It just depends on mood.

Overall, having heard now two of the seven reissues, it still feels like money well spent. Hardly any filler at all in the bonus material (save one or two tracks).

25. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    TESB Soundtrack

Revolver The Beatles

26. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016