main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Album Did You Just Hear?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

One of my favourites of all time. Great companion disc, though I would have liked a little more material, much like the Woodface reissue.

Talos of Atmora and ShaneP like this.
  3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Not really an album per se but a YouTuber has re-recorded all of Hardwired... as if the tracks were on other Metallica albums. It's designed more to showcase the tonal shifts of the band and since it lacks vocals it is just guitar prog/thrash.

Worth checking out. Here's Spit Out The Bone:

5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Pretty much like any other track of AJFA - no Jason.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I just heard Ms. WindSong's. She's a local Dallas singer and good friend.

7. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

An excellent album from a tragically underrated band.

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

In reference to this album, Neil Finn tweeted that the second disc is the best album they never released. That's the first time i've ever agreed with him concerning the initial breakup of the band.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I just assume that you don't post the Coldplay you listen to.

[​IMG]

There is something magical about the 80s synth style of Seth Haley aka Com Truise. It feels familiar, but only at the surface level - you have heard these tones, that electronic drumkit sound, but not like this.

I can't really do Com Truise justice, so go listen to Galactic Melt or In Decay on YouTube.

tom likes this.
  10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

That is the best non music I've never heard.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, I'm going to jump back into Zappa here and see what happens. Ramza harpua

[​IMG]

Lumpy Gravy (1968) – Frank Zappa

The way I see it, Barry, this should be a dynamite show.

Lumpy Gravy is Zappa’s first solo album, released between Absolutely Free & We’re Only In It For the Money, his second & third Mothers albums. The album was first issued in 1967, but legal issues surrounding Zappa’s contract with Verve Records led to the album being pulled and then reissued, in a very different version, in 1968. I listened to both versions and, while they share a similar aesthetic, I found them to be very different listening experiences. Lumpy Gravy is Zappa’s attempt to take his experiments with musique concrete on his previous albums and make an entire record of them. Both albums consist of lengthy orchestral instrumentals, catchy themes in a rock style, spoken word segments and dissonant sound/studio effects. This is not what I would call my favorite Zappa mode, as most readers of this review will know. The first release is split into nine different pieces and is a solid nine minutes shorter than the 1968 release, which only has two movements. Despite being longer and even more abstract, the 1968 version is, I think, the superior of the two. I like the themes Zappa creates here. There’s a high energy surf-rock theme that opens the record and I like the sections based around Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance, which is on We’re Only In It For the Money, and another very familiar theme that, going purely off memory, later shows up as Oh No on Weasels Ripped My Flesh. If I’m right about that last bit, I will expect several high-fives from Zappa fans. But the spoken word segments, which sometimes go for two to three minutes, are as annoying as ever and the random sound effects and dissonant sections went over with me about as well as you’d expect, which is not very. On the whole, neither of these are albums I could see myself listening to in the future and, while there are nice moments and the 1968 version is incredibly well-edited, I feel like this one’s basically a waste of time. Since it’s barely over thirty minutes, it gets a significant pass on being a waste of time, in comparison to, oh, let’s say Uncle Meat, which is just as big of a waste of time, but is also a solid two hours. It’s maybe an interesting album if you want to see Zappa continue to develop his studio trickery, but I don’t. Then again, maybe putting all of the big conceptual stuff on this one is what enabled him to make We’re Only In It into a much tighter song-oriented album. Either way, it’s not an album worth even its brief running time. 1 ½ stars.

tl;dr – Zappa’s palette expands in myriad directions, but he still lacks a convincing frame to hang all his experimentation on; well-produced, ultimately empty. 1 ½ stars.

More Music Reviews!

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    YOU JUST OUT TO GET IN A FIGHT WITH ME TODAY OR WHAT ROGUE? :p

Actually I find Lumpy Gravy just sort of alright.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It was rather funny to see your response in the podcast thread when I already had this review typed up and ready to go. :p You'll be glad to hear that I had a much more positive reaction to WOIIFTM. God, that acronym is even more obnoxious than just typing the whole title.

Ramza likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I also find Lumpy Gravy to just be okay.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

I've been listening to The Beatles again quite a bit lately, especially songs from Abbey Road. And among those songs, I am still in awe of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". Still one of my favorite songs ever.

tom likes this.
  16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    It's not John Williams, but Ive been spinning R1 soundtrack on repeat these last few days. Hope = 10/10.

[​IMG]

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Baroness, Purple (2015)

In some sense the younger siblings of Mastodon, Baroness are an amazing sludge metal band unafraid to stretch their wings. Their major albums have all been colour themed - Red, Blue, Yellow/Green (double), and now Purple.

Yellow/Green was stylistically a departure from Blue, incorporating diverse influences and mellowing the sound but giving the spine-tinglingly anthemic "Eula". Its sound brought success, and tragedy - on tour in Europe the bus rolled, and singer/guitarist John Bailey was left with several broken bones and mild psychological scarring. The rebuilding process resulted in Purple.

This is the kind of thing I think LostOnHoth would enjoy, enjoy enough to go back into the back calatogue and explore Red (the metal album), blue (the slightly less metal album), Yellow/Green (the not really metal) too.

Stand outs include Shock Me, and Chlorine & Wine, which recounts the healing process:

"When I called on my nursemaid
    Come sit by my side
    But she cuts through my ribcage
    And pushes the pills deep in my eyes

The taste was much sweeter
    Than chlorine and wine
    And my doctor’s unable
    To cut through cable that leads to my mind
    In spite of the winter
    There’s ways to keep warm
    Whatever you give me
    Please know that I’ll ask you for more

The day I stopped swimming
    And came out of the tide
    I’d never felt so uncomfortably dumb
    Here by your side

Black rose on the bed
    Turn me to fire
    Black rose in the vein
    Shine…
    Black rose on the bed
    Turn me to fire
    Black rose in the vein
    Shine in your eye
    Please
    Don’t lay me down
    Under the rocks where I found
    My place in the ground
    A home for the fathers and sons
    Black rose on the bed
    Turn me to fire
    Black rose in the vein
    Shine in your eye
    Please

Pink Floyd references notwithstanding, there's so much pain permeating these lyrics. A naked vulnerability; accepting that there's naught he can do early on to heal, to bypass the pain and trauma but he at least has hope ("in spite of the winter"). A kind of "please don't let me die, I know I can be stronger than this."

This is my last day at work of the year, so it's a great way to kick it off. :D

LostOnHoth likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Actually this is what I'd recommend you start with LostOnHoth

Should be the full playlist for Red album.

LostOnHoth likes this.
  19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I started to listen to Purple yesterday but had to abandon it. Will play on my way home tonight.

20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Easily one of my favorite albums. First three songs are amazing.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  21. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    NEW RUN THE JEWLES

tom GET ON THIS ****

cubman987 , Rogue1-and-a-half and tom like this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    thank youuuu

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  23. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Rogue One OST

Jedi Knight Fett and Juliet316 like this.
  24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Oi - Bon Iver! This is how you do allegorical and atmospheric:

[​IMG]

25. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Mixture between Revolution Radio & the Rogue One Soundtrack! [face_peace]