main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Album Did You Just Hear?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Oct 7, 2014.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The remasted version of Zeppleins' Physical Graffiti with bonus tracks.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Definitely a lot of gospel influences for sure. And some funk in there too. I also made a hard copy. #traditionalistmusiclover.

Frank T. likes this.
  3. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Butch Walker's Afraid of Ghosts -- Way stripped down compared to most of his previous stuff. Really haunting and beautiful, I love it.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Jar of Flies, by Alice in Chains. One of my favorite EPs.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    [​IMG]

William Ørbit, Pieces in a Modern Style

I might have spoken of this one before. William Orbit - or William Ørbit if you prefer his stylised version - is an electronic musician and producer, who produced the last great Madonna album "Ray of Light". What he did here was take his favourite pieces of Western art music - aka classical - and arrange them using keyboards and synthesisers. The effect, to me, is stunning; Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, the most commercially used of the tracks, retains all the melancholy atmosphere of the original but with much warmer texture. The opening aria of Händel's Xerces is reproduced in soaring glory, but my favourite has to be his version of Erik Satie's Ogive Number 2, labelled incorrectly on the sleeve as Ogive Number 1. This piece sounds like something out of a future noir film; a cityscape like we see in Blade Runner.

(Or, if you remember seminal late 90s rave culture film "Human Traffic", it's used there too).

The net effect of this is a great ambient work with melodies you'll know (Pavel's Pavane pour une Infante Défunte for example) that is perfect listening when you're working, driving, chilling out.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, that sounds amazing. I've always kind of wanted to get into William Orbit in some way besides just hearing pop albums he produced. This may be the time and place.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Try this:

or this

9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Great band!

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Suspicion by The Birthday Massacre. Before that, Hydra by Within Temptation. I didn't like Suspicion as much as Pins and Needles and Imaginary Monsters. But I love TBM.

11. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Some collection of extremely offensive country songs by David Allen Coe.

I'm glad we didn't have any outside visitors in the warehouse today.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That was chill-bump inducing. I think I prefer it to any version I've heard with actual strings.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I'm trying to think of the BM song, remixed, that I loved. Maybe red star or something?

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I like the Kevy remix of Pale.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Matangi (2014) – M.I.A.

[​IMG]

M.I.A.’s Matangi is perhaps the most abrasive, truly great album I’ve ever heard. M.I.A.’s talents work together here to create a purposely fractured, aggressively offensive (purely meaning “on the offense”) album. It’s hard to really talk about the album, but I’ll give it a shot. The songs are built around really harsh sounds; the percussion rattles and clangs, the vocals are sharp and violent. Dissonance reigns supreme at various points throughout the album. Each track is a constantly shifting tapestry; tracks will suddenly introduce a completely new hook with new instrumentation and styling in the last thirty seconds of a track. Fractured is the way to say it, I think. It’s sharp, filled with jagged edges, and broken, at times seemingly assembled out of clips of longer songs stuck together at random. And, yet, in its existence as an assaultive sound collage, it achieves a kind of perfect chaos, a beautiful sense of intensity and viscerality. If you’re looking for cohesion, beauty or even danceable music, go elsewhere. If you’re looking for a strange, complicated work of art by a strange, complicated artist, this is your jam. But be prepared for repeated listens. It took a while for me to get into the groove, but once I did, it became a great album. Highly recommended. 4 stars.

tl;dr – dark, dissonant album is one long, brilliant sound collage; not easy listening by a stretch, but a challenging, wonderful work of art. 4 stars.

More Music Reviews!

VadersLaMent likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Bohren und der Club of Gore, Sunset Mission

This is the kind of album I could see a number of you really loving.

Despite the name, Bohren und der Club of Gore have written a perfect noir jazz album. It's not hard to imagine slow ceiling fans, light filtered in slits through blinds, and smoke forming a cloud above a room... the music is so layered with imagery.

Chino Moreno of deftones rates this among his top 13 albums for Quietus' Baker's Dozen, saying:

"This record can adapt to almost anything I'm doing - I listen to it when I cook, when I shower, when hiking, but it's perhaps best for nighttime, I have a cocktail in my hand, and I'm looking over the city lights. It is cocktail music in a way, but very dark. It's a very soothing record, to the ears and the soul. I actually put it in a metal category, even though it's more jazz, because the mood of it is so dark. They're opposites, but it works. In music that I make, even if it's subconsciously, I try to bring together the beauty and the dirtiness of rock. I love the contrast and dynamic of that."

I've linked the whole thing, so keen to hear thoughts from tom, Ramza, Rogue1-and-a-half et al

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I've actually listened to some Bohren und der Club of Gore before. They were originally pitched to me as "doom jazz" by the strange, classification obsessed denizens of 4chan's music board, so I can sort of see where Moreno is coming from, but it's 100% jazz. Moody, very dark, contemplative jazz, but jazz. But yeah, I dig 'em.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, I would call Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble or Mt Fuji Doomjazz Corporation as actual doom jazz. Not Bohren; if you have to classify, it's totally film noir. I mean, I'm on the track Nightwolf now and it reminds me a bit, tonally, of Vangelis' Blade Runner Blues. Same atmospheric effect, which is to say - noir as ****.

Speaking of Kilimanjaro Darkjazz, their live version of lobby is roughly a thousand percent better than the album version:

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Ender, I'll give that a listen this afternoon probably. Sounds interesting. And now for something completely different.

6.1 (2001) - Out of the Grey

[​IMG]

Contemporary Christian CD from husband & wife duo Scott & Christine Dente, though I should really put Christine first as she’s clearly the most talented. She writes the songs and sings most of them; Scott sings back-up and on one song takes the lead and it nicely demonstrates why he typically only does back-up. He’s a very good guitarist, so I don’t want to act too snarky, but it’s Christine’s sensitive, emotional song-writing that makes the group work to the degree it does. The lyrics are explicitly Christian, but also based in very honest emotions and Dente has a way with poignant phrasing and sweet melodies some of the time. I really liked What’s It Gonna Be, a quiet, piano-based song about transitional moments in life, and I Want Everything, a genuinely moving and inspiring song about living life to the fullest. But, on the whole, this all kind of runs together into an easy-listening kind of soup and doesn’t really distinguish itself at all. Oh, and it closes with an interminably long guitar instrumental hidden track. At the end of it, Scott says, “I guess that’s it.” Pretty fitting epitaph for this one. Recommend against wasting your time here. Average. 2 stars.

tl;dr – smooth-sounding Christian album isn’t preachy and lyrics focus on real emotions of life, but it’s too MOR and bland for its own good. 2 stars.

More Music Reviews!

21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Dark Angel - Darkness Descends. I have it on a loop at work.

22. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday

23. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015
  24. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Not just one, two:

[​IMG]