main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What all has ILM done?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by slimybug, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope)
    Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    Raiders OF The Lost Ark
    Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi
    Indiana Jones And The Temple OF Doom
    Young Sherlock Holmes
    Howard The Duck
    Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
    Willow
    Titanic
    Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    Planet Of The Apes
    Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones
    Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
    War Of The Worlds

What did I miss? I know I missed a lot.

Slimy!

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    To think of a few you missed...

Terminator
    The Abyss
    Minority Report
    A.I.
    Casper The Friendly Ghost

I can't think of any other.
    However any Spielberg, Cameron or Lucas project is ILM.

-Seldon

3. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I thought Cameron had his own special effects company. Digital Domain?

Slimy!

4. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002

http://www.ilmfan.com/credits/film_list.php

5. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Thanks deltron_zero. Besides the 200+ movies (there are a couple I'm trying to confirm at the moment) they have worked on a few TV projects and a couple dozen special projects, plus hundreds of commercial (I think over 1000).

People are usually surprised at all the projects they have done and mistakenly believe they only do big budget VFX extravaganzas.

I thought Cameron had his own special effects company. Digital Domain?

He was the cofounder of Digital Domain along with Stan Winston and Scott Ross around 1993 if I remember right. Scott Ross was president of DD while Cameron was part owner and in the board.

However after the fallout of Titanic, both Cameron and Winston severed ties with DD. Nowadays Winston has its own CG division, Stan Winston Digital (which worked on Sky Captain for example) and Cameron has mentioned that he'll use whatever VFX company is the best or more convenient for his next project, the alleged Battle Angel Alita. We've speculated he might choose ILM or Imageworks for that.

However any Spielberg, Cameron or Lucas project is ILM.

Not exactly.

As stated above Cameron cofounded DD and used them for a couple of projects before going doing documentaries. His next film project is up in the air who'll make the VFX.

Most Spielberg projects have been done by ILM, except for a few recent ones that only had minor VFX work: The Terminal and Catch Me if You Can. ILM was not involved in those, Asylum VFX was the main provider on those 2.

Lucas, well no question.

6. Citizen-of-Naboo

Citizen-of-Naboo Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2001
    Actually, Asylum didn't work on "The Terminal" - Digital Backlot and Digital Filmworks work on the twenty or so shots in that film.

7. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    You're right. I knew Asylum had worked on a couple Spielberg movies but Minority Report slipped my mind and transferred it to the Terminal.

8. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    What did GONY have in it that was ILM created?

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    What did GONY have in it that was ILM created?

Some matte paintings.

10. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Well matte paintings and set extensions. The two most notable ones were the first pullback of NY after the initial battle, and the closing moments with DiCaprio and Diaz in the cemetary overlooking NY which then transitions to the present. You can read some details on the ASC magazine:

Mean Streets

I suspect they also worked on a few other shots, like when "the Butcher" touches his glass eye with the tip of his knife.

11. Citizen-of-Naboo

Citizen-of-Naboo Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2001
    There was also some character animation - the elephant running through the streets was CG, I believe.

12. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah now that you mention it there was some discussions in my site about that. Don't remember what the final conclussion was or how we reached it. It might have been a mention from some magazine that they couldn't really get an elephant in the set, or using cloth dynamics for it.

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    It was mentioned in the very end of the Making of GONY book. They had a picture of it and mention of Marty calling up ILM to ask for an circus elephant. Forgot about that elephant.

14. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    How many visual effects oscars have they won?

15. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Ahh yes the GoNY book!!! I think you were the one that mentioned it back then ShaneP.

How many visual effects oscars have they won?

Ahhhh a more complex question than what it seems. Well the short answer is they have won 14, last one was for Forrest Gump, although since then they have been nominated almost every single year.

The complexity stemmed that in the past ILM counted their Oscars in a different way: they counted the Special Achievement ones (like for Empire Strikes Back) separately. Which made my head spin a few years ago, as the number of Oscars I had listed for Muren didn't coincide with theirs (I think it was a press release probably when they were nominated for AI). Anyway sense has been restored. No more controversy here.

Actually the SciTech awards are the real problem because it depends on how you count them and it stems for how they are awarded.

As a trivia note, ILM has worked on projects that were nominated or won but they didn't get the mention because their work was minor. Total Recall fall in this category.

16. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    wired magizine has a great article out right now. has a fold out page showing how far lucas' influence reaches and the different projects of LFL, and ILM.

also has areally cool overhead shot of the persidio which has just been finished.

17. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah I've been looking for that on the newstands but no luck. Either sold out or still hasn't aarrived down here. At least the articles are coming online. See if they have any interesting tidbits about the influences.

18. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Die Hard 1 and 2
    American Graffiti(yes it's true!)

19. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Die Hard 1 and 2 American Graffiti(yes it's true!)

That's mostly incorrect. ILM DID NOT work on Die Hard, that was Boss Film. They did work on the sequel, Die HArd 2: Die Harder under the supervision of Mike McAllister.

They DID NOT work on American Graffiti either. ILM didn't even exist back then (1973), they were formed in May 1975.

20. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I don't think ILM worked on the first Terminator. They did work on T2 on the morphing of the T-1000. You missed The Abyss, on which ILM did morphing as well.

Some other one's you've missed are Ghost Busters 2 (more morphing), and the Goonies.

21. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    I don't think ILM worked on the first Terminator. They did work on T2 on the morphing of the T-1000.

That's correct, ILM didn't work on the first Terminator. That was mostly Stan Winston Studio and Fantasy II Effects (Gene Warren). Winston and Fantasy II worked on the second one as well as ILM and the Skotaks (4-Ward Productions). And of course ILM was the main provider for T3.

You missed The Abyss, on which ILM did morphing as well.

Well not exactly the traditional 2D morphing started on Willow. But the cyberscans of Ed Harris and Mastrantonio had to morph. Their main contribution was the pseudopod as well as the cut shots of the giant wave (you can see them in the special edition). Dream Quest Images was the main provider.

Some other one's you've missed are Ghost Busters 2 (more morphing), and the Goonies.

For a more complete list check the one I have:

ILM Film projects

Ghostbusters 2 was not just "more morphing", they did most of the VFX like the Statue of Liberty, Vigo coming out of the painting and ghosts like Slimer and the Scoleri brothers (this was around the last proper Creature Shop projects).

22. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    WOW I guess my 'HARD DRIVE' must be in need of a defrag re: "Die Hard".

But ILM DID do one piece of work on American Graffiti but you need to pick up the newest copy of the film in order to find out what it is.Make sure you have an OLD copy as well,you will need it.

23. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Aaaah that's different. They did not work on the original American Graffiti but might have done something for the DVD release, some cleanup work like for the Indy DVD set. I do seem to remember that but I might have to check. But working on the DVD is different to actually doing the original work for a theatrical release.

The Die Hard thing is probably because it was one fo the first projects Boss did with Richard Edlund, not long after he left ILM.

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    For the American Graffiti 25th Anniversary release(1998), Yusei Uesugi did a matte painting of the sunset sky over Mel's Diner as the film opens. Really subtle and nice.

The credits are small. Just a handful of folks.

Oh yeah, they also redid the chase at the end. Now, Harrison Ford finishes first. :p

25. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I know they did the battle SFX for "Master And Commander".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.