FF:WA What annoys you about Forums?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Lord_Marrak, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Marrak Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay, touchy subject (this being a forum and all) :p

Obviously its firstly, been quite a long time since I've bothered to reply to a thread let alone post a new one but recently I have to whinge about it :)

heh

The Forum will remain unmentioned but I will say that it was NOT in this forum because YOU GUYS ROCK, disagree with that if you wish.. it just means that you're telling me otherwise :D

Okay, as I was saying, the thing that annoys me most about forums, is when people have the.. nerve to basically say your opinion on something as petty as for example oh I don't know.... a concept/theory of which Sith Lord trained who and who really is a certain character.. (without naming characters names in "fear" of being martyred once again) [:D]

But what gets you lot about forums? People that whinge about stuff as mentioned above? heh I couldn't agree more :p

[face_dancing]
  2. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    This has been an issue for me recently also.

I have decided not to talk to anyone about Star Wars if they answer yes to the following question: "Do you think the EU is canon?"

Aside from stifling conversation,it's like these people just don't want you to talk about Star Wars, ever.

Any answer they give is not speculation, it's chapter and verse of some guy who has more than likely never even met lucas, and it's always presented as the final, unarguable word, no matter how ridiculous.

But yes, I have recently retreated from all but this, the NSW and AusGen forums for the very reason of which you speak.

"There is no civility, only spamming and flaming."
  3. Lord_Marrak Jedi Knight

star 1
    Heh.. it ruins things a bit doesnt it? :(

How are you btw? heh (thought I'd better through that in since its been some time) :D
  4. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Pretty good, I'm not sure how long you've been gone from here for?

But lots of things have happened...

Anyway, good to see some life in this forum for a change.
  5. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Master

star 4
    The whole thing about SW expanded universe is tht it's for fun- but ultimately It's GL's story. If anything conflicts you gotta look to the bloke who created it in the first place.

But I'm not gonna burn anyone if they prefer EU explanations,but usually you can always creatively work both EU and Film concepts into a happy mutual existence.

Forums aren't that annoying. It's people like me who are.

I'm sorry for flooding every formum with my opinion lately too. I'm sure someone will yell at me for that in here!
  6. Lord_Marrak Jedi Knight

star 1
    See, thats what I would ahve expected, how ever.. the explanations given by who ever it was, made sense. Lucas never really gave any explanations with regards to certain characters. Again as Sith once told me in here, it doesnt really matter if it does or doesn't.. its EU.

Again, yeah the point of this thread was to vent i guess frustration that we might all have towards forums and users.. lets just hope it doesnt get to carried away :)

Sith: yeah nah its been at least 3 months. The odd emotional problem, dealing with life, moving on, patching ones scars etc. :) So yeah.. heh a lot has probably happened.. it has for me :(
  7. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's been a while since our little patch of the boards has been this busy, which is great to see :)

the only annoyance I have is the fact that such arguments do occur. it brings the enjoyment of it all down, which is a shame. But differences occur when the boards are open to all walks of life. Well, not 'all' of them :p
  8. DarthDatorri Jedi Master

star 1
    The thing that annoys me about forums (and it's happening right now) is that when i'm supposed to be doing an assignment, I get stuck looking at the bloody things! And I can't get off em!!!

I've put off this damn assignment for 3 weeks and now its due on Monday...

May the force be with me! :p
  9. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    PM Hawk and asked to be banned :p
  10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm the same, I never get anything done at work cos i'm always checking to see if anyone has posted stuff!

AND I'VE ONLY BEEN HERE A WEEK!
  11. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Sith Magician posted on 5/28/05 7:01am

/>
    If I'm having a particularly bad day, you may not even have to ask. ;)
    />/>
  12. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I just can't stand half of the users on TFN.
    Mainly the yank users that don't stop raving on about how good the war is in Iraq...hence I left the JJC for good.
  13. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    I had a look in there at a thread some yank posted in the Corby case, all these ******* going on about "hope she rots" "Got what she deserved" and assorted other crap.

You can tell they didn't read the link, just used the "facts" posted by the moron who did the first post, and all made their judgements from there.

14. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    exactly.
    Oh and E_S in the Aussie forums has been pissing me off something cronic as you all know.
    ...and I was stupid enough to drop to his level and argue back.

He's a racists...hmm, wont finish that actually.
  15. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Good plan.

SM, it's not worth trying to argue in there most of the time unless you use nothing but cold, hard facts and don't give them any ammunition to fire back at you. Even if they don't see they're wrong, just about everyone else will.

Makes me wish I was a mod there, too. :D
  16. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Aye you're a good mod Hawk...probably the only one I really do respect.
    I'd love it if you could moderate over there, bring some order to the yanks.
  17. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    As opposed to one certain mod in there who is a total and complete nimrod, with no spine and a twitchy ban button finger that flinches if you so much as sneeze.

The guy's a proven ******.

^^It's not flaming if I don't say who it is ;)

unless you use nothing but cold, hard facts

Which I tyr to do as often as possible, which results in certain posters just ignoring the facts, and continuing to be *******.
  18. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I assume it is the same person who banned me for calling someone a **** after he flamed you?
  19. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    I think so, that's right, the VIP called me something, the mod edited his post to say "Bad idea" or something, then banned you for calling that gu a ****, which was less than what he posted...

20. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Leetspeak bothers me. Okay, you can't impose Strunk and White's rules of grammar on everyone, but at least some bloody capital letters at the beginning of a sentence and the occasional apostrophe. It just IDs the person (as if the May 05 registration date didn't) as a clueless n00b who's still doing unmentionable biological acts over Natalie Portman in her Geonosis/Britney Spears outfit.
  21. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    who's still doing unmentionable biological acts over Natalie Portman in her Geonosis/Britney Spears outfit.

Can you blame them?

[image=http://www.thenextamidala.com/aotc_costumes/jumpsuite/padme.jpg]

[image=http://www.thenextamidala.com/aotc_costumes/jumpsuite/oswm6.jpg]
    Now hook the other end of the chain up to my kitchen and I'll be complete!
  22. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    God damn !!

Surely you don't have to be a noob to appreciate that.
  23. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Master

star 4
    Not too Shabby Is it true that she's shaved her head a'la Ripley in Alien 3?
  24. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Yeap.
    And better yet, she actually looks decent with not hair.
    First time, apart from Sinead Occonner, I've seen a bald chick that still looks pretty.
    Site with pictures of her shaved goodness

mmm...sexual inuendo...mmmm
  25. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Sure is true. There's been some photot ona few websites.
    Saint I'm another person who hate's leetspeak. Personally I see it as

leetspeek = internet noob/script kiddie trying to look like they know something. I figure the ones qho really are 'elite" are those who have been around since before that stupid trend became a trend.

As for debates on forums, it's been a long time since I regularly checked any forums other than this one. When these forums first started I was all over the Australian ones plus a lot of the others. Now I don't bother. Once in a blue moon I check the others and some of the veterans in other forums would remember me but I don't do it very othen. I stick to chatting with people who for the most part I have actually met in person. Saves being bad mouthed by some clown who thinks they can be big with someone who'll never get the chance to meet them in person and deck them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.