main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are children saying about The Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by VladTheImpaler, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm 34, and have been a lifelong SW fan (since I saw it in the theaters when it first came out), and my kidses are 8, 5 and 4. Likewise, they have been raised on SW since birth. They've played both Lego SW games on the XBox and the complete Lego game on the Wii numerous times. They know SW.

That said, I do not let them watch EP 2 and 3 because they are simply too dark, and IMHO, they are not ready. And quite frankly, I think they are in fact inferior films, but that's not what this discussion is about.

My kids absolutely LOVE TCW and the cartoons. L.O.V.E it. We went to a fellow FF'ers place and saw it at 7PM (either Dish or the other satellite service, I dunno because we don't get cable/pay TV), so it wasn't too late. The kids absolutely loved every minute of it --especially the Yoda parts. And the other FF'ers mentioned how much fun it was to watch the show with kidses in the room, because the kids weren't picking it over with a fanboy fine toothed comb. :-B They just enjoyed the action and the humor --even the droid humor! [face_laugh]

And I love the CW cartoons --both the old ones, and the new ones. I just can't stand George's film versions of the PT --bad directing, bad writing, terrible acting and too much CGI. At least these are 100% CGI vs. 75%. :rolleyes: Thus, it is far more believeable, and IMHO, the acting is in fact better in these than when they had "real" actors in the PT. :rolleyes: So even though I rarely, if ever, watch the PT, my family loves TCW. [face_love]

So much so that I made a Episode 2 style clone armor, and did one to match for my son, and we have done probably 6 troops together so far since TCW came out:

[image=http://lh3.ggpht.com/BlackburnPhotography/SLS0USxlQUI/AAAAAAAAUL0/TLPJ9D4SS1o/s400/IMGP3258.JPG]

I for one am glad that George handed the reins over to Filoni on this one, and am enjoying it immensely, and so are my kidses. My youngest LOVES Ahsoka, my boy loves all things clone (just like dad!), and my oldest is able to talk intelligently about the plot points and the characters, and after playing Lego SW, they pretty much know all of the characters and love the story so far.

So this show is a win for me --and them. Bring on the next episode!!!

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Truth be told, I think my daughter likes the cartoons(the original CW, Ewoks or CWA) better than the films, but as I said previous she's 5, and probably views the cartoons as sorta her thing, while the movies are her dads thing:p

Really there is a lot of material in the movies which isn't very suitable for young kids, and I've yet to show my daughter the end of ROTS because of how incredibly dark it is. Limbless Anakin burning to death isn't a very kid friendly scene[face_plain]

I may be the rare example of an Original Trilogy aged fan(34) who started watching the movies in theater at age 4 who counts ROTS as my favorite film of the 6. I do try to avoid the whole "Jar Jar Sucks" type statements because I think that would impress upon my daughter a veiw of the Prequels I don't neccessarily want her to have. I definity don't have much ill will toward the Prequels, but its a view I try to stick to on all these minor issues. "No, daddy doesn't want to watch Pokemon, but you can if you like it" works much better than "Pokeman sucks, I'm never watching that:D"

If my daughter were to decide that she didn't like the prequels on her own thats one thing, but I want to afford her that oppurtunity instead of pushing my veiws of the films down her throat. *gasp* One day she might tell me she's decided that she doesn't like Star Wars at all:p What will I do then?

3. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Kids? Hey, we're all still kids at heart aren't we? I'm 32 years old and still enjoying this. Iwould imagine kids of all ages are enjoying this as well.

4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Shouldn't this thread be titled, "What are younglings saying about The Clone Wars?"

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I wish I could be a real fan, but I guess my parents did a poor job of raising me. I mean, they gave me food, clothing, shelter, love, and education, but tragically they missed out on that essential bit of parenting called "Getting your kid to love the PT." If only someone had called Social Services years ago, I might be enjoying TCW right now...

[face_laugh]

My soon-to-be-five-year-old loves the PT and the Clone Wars movie and series, so far. My oldest son was bored by the PT and is completely uninterested in Star Wars. I don't want to taut my own skills as a parent too much, but I think both of them are good kids, without any fatal deficiencies in their aesthetic sensibilities.

6. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Im not saying we should influence our kids to like or hate anything, all im saying is that kids dont know (or really care) about the difference between the PT and the OT and even the oldest kids (age 12-14) dont see them as two trilogy's, they see them as ONE saga that makes one story so we shouldn't try to make them see different. Refusing to show them the PT would be trying to make them see a difference.

The most favoritism i have ever seen any of my little cousins show was simple "witch movies your favorite" but never "witch trilogy is your favorite". I remember one time i asked one of them what trilogy was her favorite and she sed "i thought you said trilogy means 3 movies? there are 6 movies in star wars" i had forgot she didn't really know about that so i just asked "ok whats your favorite movie then":D i figured why tell her? if she doesn't know the difference than the movies did there job right?:-B BTW shes 11 years old.

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 1999
    I don't know, doesn't Anaiken kill all the younglings?

8. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I don't know what kids are saying but a ton of them watched it!

Clone Wars? Scores Best Ratings for Cartoon Network Premiere

The debut Cartoon Network?s ?Star Wars: The Clone Wars? was the most-watched series premiere in the cable channel?s history.

The Friday premiere was the top-rated children?s show in its timeslot among kids 6 to 11, kids 2 to 11, tweens 9 to 14, teens 12-17 and total viewers, based on overnight data from Nielsen Media Research. In most age groups, the program more than doubled the network?s viewership from the same time a year ago.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    =D=

Excellent news. Star Wars has found a new home on television!

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Neither is this, theoretically:

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/1/14/OwenBeru_dead.jpg/200px-OwenBeru_dead.jpg]

But I turned out all right.[face_skull]

11. IthinkIwannaLeia

IthinkIwannaLeia Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    I went to see the movie with an 8y.o., and two 5y.o.'s who were big Star Wars fans. They five year-olds were pretty bored and wouldn't stay in their seats. The 8y.o. said he liked it, but seemed underwhelmed. Kids aren't stupid. The long computer generated action sequences seemed as boring for them as they were for me.

The first two episodes on cartoon network are a different story. They seemed to enjoy them more and the 5yo's were able to sit still for the 30min. where they could not for the movie (but I will mention they can sit through multiple showings of "Cars" with no prob.)

The 8yo thought that the droids' attempt at humor was funny (at least someone liked it).

12. DMan304

DMan304 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    I tried to show my 7 and 5 year old cousins, but they said they didn't want to watch.

I wanted to ask "You not only can tolerate, but choose to sit through an episode of Hannah Montana, but you won't even bother trying this show?"

I wanted to slap 'em. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep watching by myself.

13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Hannah Montana > TCW.

Well, Billy Ray Cyrus is awesome on that show, at least.

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

Robimus Posted: Really there is a lot of material in the movies which isn't very suitable for young kids

There is a differnce though between seeing Anakin chopped and burned while screaming when compared to coming upon Owen and Beru's remains after the event. I agree though, I saw that scene at about four and think I turned out all right as well.:D

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Long action sequences are boring?! HAHAHA, wow... ok. Whatever.

And Hannah Montana is a really stupid show, but at least Miley Cyrus is cute in her role, she'll be a big star one day I think in more mainstream roles. She is already raking in the dough.

16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'd prefer to show my kid the OT before the PT simply because I don't want the "I am your father" moment to be spoiled for him. I may just end up avoiding showing him ROTS until he can get it.

17. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    I think alot of its prejudiced by how many fans watched the movies. I know my kids will watch it TPM to ROTJ but thats only because I really became a fan after TPM came out.

Anyway on topic, I'm glad TCW got such a big viewership on its debut...the validating part of it is keeping a significant majority of those viewers. But I can't see any reason to doubt that they can't do that.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    That's the real question, isn't it: who's watching the series? The ratings provide that answer, and it's a healthy mix of different age groups. No one needs to feel threatened by the idea that children like the show, or that adults like it too. That said, TCW series is not going to appeal to everyone, and certainly not every Star Wars fan either, and that's ok too.

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    My 14 year old loved both the movie and the two episodes. I actually liked the tv episodes better than the movie but I liked the movie enough to see it twice. I'll get the DVD when it comes out, too.

I was an adult when ANH came out and I'm a big PT fan as well. Heck, it's all Star Wars!

20. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Sounds like a lot of douchy parents out there. Can't even let their kids make up there own mind!

21. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    The most untrue thing I've ever seen on the internet

22. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Yay! I was waiting on some sort of Nielsen feedback. I'm very pleased that the debut was a ratings coup. Let's hope they keep it up! [face_dancing]

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    You sound like a douche for this bro.

Honestly, you think the greatest plot twist in almost all of movie history should be spoiled by watching the movies 1-6 rather than in the order they were released? Not me.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, really - God forbid the kids develop an opinion that differs from the majority view.
    I suppose the heavens and the earth would be rent asunder and lava would run in the streets.

25. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    The bottom line is that kids should not be "told" witch order they should watch the saga in. The way that was always intended, the way that Lucas and his teem have been working on since 1994, the way that would truly impress the viewer most, the way that makes the most practical sense, the only way that would really give you a real feel of watching one big long epic story, would be to watch it in chronological order from 1-6. IMO.[face_coffee]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.