main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What are conventions for scifi shows and movies like?

Discussion in 'Community' started by LifeInTechnicolor, Apr 23, 2014.

1. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    My sister wants me to go to a convention for Stargate. I have never been to one,so I would like to know what they are like.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Orgies and guest lectures.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know that line at the end of "Thriller" about "the funk of 40,000 years"? They're referring to convention smell.

4. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    I think I've heard about that.

5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999

[​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Long lines for everything.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  7. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    My only motivation for going is to see this certain actor. Are the actors who sign autographs nice or have you met ones who are terrible? I would be so crushed if he turns out to be horrible.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Stop oppressing us with deodorant. Men's rights!

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I did not relize Stargate was a big enough deal to warrant a convention focused on it. It is like that a general con but perhaps featuring Stargate?

Mr. K likes this.
  11. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I've been going to conventions in the Dallas area for ten years, and never noticed any foul smells. I guess that might happen if you cram 20,000 people into a building meant for 5,000, but that's hasn't happened to me yet.

No, just the autograph lines for rarer guests. I've seen Chris Lloyd's line at two different cons, and it was crazy; he'll be here again next month for the 13th annual Dallas Comic Con.

Most of those I've met were very nice and patient; the only exceptions (so far) being Billy Dee Williams and Robert Picardo. Mr. Williams was very quiet when I met him in 2004, mostly looking down and barely saying a word to anyone. Mr. Picardo started out nice, but when my paint-pen autograph was accidentally ruined, he refused to replace it, just sloppily trying to re-do the same 8x10. That ticked me off, and he hasn't been back to Dallas since. If he ever does return, I hope he's in a much better mood.

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In my experience, your experience is very atypical.

14. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    One of my favorite celebrity guests at a convention was John Wesley Shipp, from the 1990 TV show based on The Flash. We spoke for probably ten minutes, during a quiet spot in his line, and he took this great pic with me.

[​IMG]

What made it even better was a few minutes later, though. I left the line when it started filling back up, and made my way toward the exit door (all the celebs were in the same room). Halfway to that point, I remembered I'd forgotten to pay for the 8x10 (most celebs charge for their signatures now, but not all). I got back in line, waited a few more minutes, and politely told Mr. Shipp about the situation. He seemed skeptical at first, but ultimately accepted the money, then said one last thing to me: "A lot of folks in your position would've walked out that door, but you didn't. I respect you for that." That one moment shot him to the top of my mental "celebrity list", and I tell the story whenever I can. Here's the shot he signed those years ago... :)

[​IMG]

15. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    It is just for Stargate. Stargate had three shows, Sg-1,Universe and Alantis. I would think it would be relatively popular since SG-1 ran for ten seasons and had two movies not including the original.

16. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    Most of those I've met were very nice and patient; the only exceptions (so far) being Billy Dee Williams and Robert Picardo. Mr. Williams was very quiet when I met him in 2004, mostly looking down and barely saying a word to anyone. Mr. Picardo started out nice, but when my paint-pen autograph was accidentally ruined, he refused to replace it, just sloppily trying to re-do the same 8x10. That ticked me off, and he hasn't been back to Dallas since. If he ever does return, I hope he's in a much better mood.[/quote]

Okay,thank you so much.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    ive never been to one. people have tried to get me to go to one, but ive never followed through. the whole situation seems pretty psychotic and i fear attending one might lead to the onset of some sort of disassociative state

i could see wanting to ask questions of authors and creators i like who dont have a ton of media exposure/interviews out there, but i think if i ever got that curious i could just send them an email with my questions/thoughts

18. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    In my experience, celebs don't generally answer emails; at least, not the more well-known ones. I did get a response from Muse Watson though, when I was still into horror many years ago.

19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    With the exception of Billy Dee Williams I have never heard of any of these celebs. I guess I need to watch more TV.

20. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    Do a lot of people wear costumes?

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Depends on the con. Most of the big ones like SDCC and NYCC will have huge lines for absolutely everything. At those cons, signings are actually way lower on people's priority lists.

But yeah, thousands of nerds crammed together tends to put a large strain on one's sense of smell. By the end of the day almost everyone has BO to one degree or another, since not many people think to bring deodorant to freshen up.
    It really varies. If you really want to know, try to look online to see how they interact with interviewers or fans. The latter will give you a better impression of how nice they are or aren't.

As for costumes, also varies depending on the con. IDK much about Stargate, but I'd imagine more people will be dressed up than not; but remember- it's never a requirement, just your personal preference.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If you wish to feel like a celebrity for a day, wear a good costume. People will stop you frequently to get a pic of and with you.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Most are pretty approachable. Yet, like everyone else they have off days. And really the experience varies depending on who's there. The set up is likely similar but it's more the fans that concerned me. Some get pretty strange and forward with the people they are there to see. A fair number wear costumes, yes. Most others where a t-shirt in support of whatever they like that's featured at the con in my experience. I wore one of my Trek shirts.

24. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I haven;t dressed up for a show yet myself, but I've seen others wear many different outfits over the years. "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" characters are very common choices, plus superheroes like Batman or Superman. I've seen a few different Darth Vaders in my time; one even had the breathing sound recorded from the film, timed to play every few seconds out of his suit's chestpiece. At my last con, I saw three red Power Rangers, a green one, one Captain America, and a few Mortal Kombat characters.

25. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Also, lots of conventions have discussion panels with various guests; here's the 2013 "Back to the Future" panel from Dallas...