main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What are conventions for scifi shows and movies like?

Discussion in 'Community' started by LifeInTechnicolor, Apr 23, 2014.

1. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah,I don't want to be creepy fan.

Diggy likes this.
  2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've been to a number of cons. The SW Celebrations are nice, but after attending 3, I find going one day is good enough. I've actually enjoyed the other cons more. PAXPrime- the gaming convention, WizardWorld Chicago - a Comic Con and C2E2 - pop culture con. (Going this Sat in fact :D :D ) I've never run into the stench people cons are supposedly famous for and think it's just a non nerd/geek made myth.

The celebs I've met have all been nice, but I'm sure it can depend on who and what kind of day they've had. I love just people watching and seeing the cosplayers at conventions. have never done it myself, though I've made a costume for my daughter when she went to PAX last time.

LifeInTechnicolor likes this.
  3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [​IMG]

Kiki-Gonn and mrsvos like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You've seen Galaxy Quest, right?

VadersLaMent and Volderon like this.
  5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    My experiences have always been good, I go with my buddy every August, just a guys day since we don't see eachother too much due to work. I don't tend to get any autographs from celebrities as I just don't think a piece of paper that has their signature is worth 40-60 dollars. I just like seeing them and going to the various booths and talking with vendors and going to panels.

I do go up to the comic artists I like and talk to them and ask them to sign my comics which they usually do for free since you're supporting their work.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I've never been outside so I can't say.

7. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    When I first started going, the average price was $20, or sometimes $15; my double-signature 8x10 from Arleen Sorkin & Kevin Conroy was free. The most I've ever paid for a single autograph was $40, and I felt uneasy about it afterwards. Now, my absolute cutoff point is $30, but I'm hoping the prices go back down to $20 or $25 soon. I feel like some celebs really don't care about the fans as people anymore, just profit...which is truly sad. :(

I usually cruise the dealer room a few times at every convention, but I'm not big on collecting things that will just stay on a shelf. I do have a prop replica of the Kryptonian ship key from "Smallville", and a 1/15 scale of the DeLorean from the first "Back to the Future".

I've watched a few artists draw different things, chatting them up at times, but I've only bought two custom sketches, both by "The Crow" creator James O'Barr. The first was $60 in 2007; the second was $50 around 2009.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Supercon in Miami has a wrestling show and has started to bring in old school wrestlers. Last year it was so much like the movie with Mickey Rourke it wasn't even funny.

9. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Thats really cool, I've always wanted to get a sketch but whenever I've gone they have tons of people in front of me and it would take too long.

I get what you say about the celebrities and echoing what other people say about Billy Dee Wiliams...when I was sitting in on a panel we were told by his agent not to discuss Star Wars with him and that we should talk about his poems he's doing. I get that it's not cool to get hounded by Star Wars all the time but I mean come on, that's why people are there.

Another creator that actually charged for an autograph was Neal Adams. He's kind of a weird one but he had some interesting stories. I'd rather listen to them on a panel and get to hear what they have to say than pay for their autograph, I feel it's a better experience.

10. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Billy Dee Williams was at Orlando Megacon 6 months before CV and he was so messed up I thought he'd had a stroke or something. He mysteriously did not return to Orlando...

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It depends on the convention. Some are madhouses (San Diego Comic Con) while other small cons can be really fun. Always check out the artists alley if they have one; lots of great stuff.

Volderon likes this.
  12. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Yeah, as far as I know, Billy Dee's never been back to Dallas since 2004. I think he was scheduled once around 2007, but never showed up. I have no idea what his problem is, but I'd rather meet the stars who actually embrace their notoriety instead of resenting it.

13. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I haven;t been to SDCC yet, but I'd really love to go at some point. Unfortunately, getting admission is a long process, and it sells out extremely quick. In the meantime, I'm sticking with the local cons, though I'd also love to attend DragonCon or the New York show, too.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A lot more dull than I thought they'd be.

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000

Kiki-Gonn and LostOnHoth like this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'd recommend...
    - be prepared to wait a while for things
    - be polite
    - take things in stride
    - accept that you won't be able to attend everything, so concentrate on getting into the events you're most interested in
    - have a Plan B in place in case an event is full
    - did I mention be polite?
    - get there reasonably early
    - don't go overboard with collectibles and souvenirs ("No, I will not hock my car and use the money to buy that Y-Wing canopy prop.")
    - don't skip meals, or at least have a snack with you
    - bring an umbrella (Celebration I taught me that)
    - check the weather forecast carefully (Celebration I, II & III taught me that)
    - no, really, be polite
    - don't be afraid to talk to your fellow fans
    - try and relax; you're among friends

And I usually don't go for autographs and I tend to give stars a wide berth. I'm rather shy in person, I realize stars get pestered a lot, and, when I do try to talk to them, I normally end up sounding like a bigger idiot than usual.

Hope this helps...

17. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Well, all I know is I've heard more bad things about him than good, in reference to conventions. Coupled with my own experience, let's just say I was both puzzled and disappointed.

Good advice all around; I'd add "bring sunscreen" for summer events, especially if the line to enter the building is long. I stood outside at the Dallas Comic Con maybe 3 years ago in May or June, and had a mild sunburn by the time I finally reached the front door. :(

18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Bring a gun, of course.

harpua, jp-30 and Lord Vivec like this.
  19. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    If you see a smokin' hot girl in skimpy cosplay, it is perfectly acceptable to ogle, stare, and drool.

20. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    -either pristine neo-future or alien-esque utilitarian set designs
    -most sci-fi is either made with no budget or a huge budget.
    -contrived deus ex machinas
    -cheesy moralistic plotlines ripped from childrens books
    -nonsensical technobabble used as bandaids on glaring plotholes
    -leathter
    -latex
    -space goo
    -utopic or dystopic socities
    -cultural differences large enough to take out any sort of modern day comparison so the property can wax on philosophical beliefs without fear of contrivances.
    -SPACE DRUGS
    -space marines
    -sound travelling in space (for some reason)

21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Conventions are a cesspit of desperate ungrateful unhygienic socially awkward swine.

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Just like the JC!

23. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Just like my two church attendances.

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh, goodie! Finally, a religious debate!

LostOnHoth likes this.
  25. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000