main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are some things or references from the PT you wish now were in the OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Sin, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    With the entire Star Wars films complete what things or references from the PT do you wish now were in the OT?

Here are just a few I have to start things:

1. I wish that the Sith were referred to in some way in the OT

2. I wish that the belief that Anakin was the Chosen One were in the OT

3. I wish that the Emperor appeared in ANH, and seen in his office on Coruscant

4. I wish that the Emperor's name Palpatine was said in the OT

5. I wish that Luke and Leia could have learned about their mother, and her name by ROTJ

Okay, those are just a some that I have thought of since the completion of the Prequel Trilogy.

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I pretty much agree with all yours. I want more of those 'mythic' elements in the OT. To somehow tie together the legacy of who all the heroes of the past were and what they did and what evils befell the Republic. And none of Obi Wan's 'selective point of view' clouding everything up.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    mainly just stylistic stuff for me, really..

-ROTS clonetroopers armor instead of the stormie armor.

-Eta-2s and V-wings. Somewhere. :p

that's about it, really..

4. AJSkywalker

AJSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    I know that it was pretty much impossible then but I wish they had at least some small scenes of Couroscant. I'm sure they could have used some miniatures. Plus why not use a room with little to no windows. Some polotics should've happened especially in ANH.

5. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    i wish the PT had been filmed with the spirit of the OT in mind to keep threads like this from existing.

6. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    Here are some other things I thought of.

I wish you could see remnants of the droid armies in the OT. It would be cool to see many of those droids working in other roles as just mere servants throughout the galaxy in the OT.

I would like to see the pre-construction of Death Star II near the end of ESB.

More Palpatine in the OT, particularly in ANH and ESB

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Malikail, I know what you're saying, but let's not be hating on this thread. It's perfectly legimate.

The one thing I would like to see is re-film the ESB Emperor scene, only keep the original lines, improve his make-up and get a better performance from Ian than what we got in the 2004 DVD. That's the only change I'd be interested in.

8. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    I'd like to hear the word "padawan" used in the OT at some point. It's one of the first words heard in the saga (From Qui-gon) but never used in the OT. Something about Mace Windu in the OT would tie them together too. Especially if his first name is mentioned as it never was in the PT. It took until AOTC before we even heard his last name mentioned.

Then again I don't want the OT touched too much so on second thought just leave it ;)

9. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    "i wish the PT had been filmed with the spirit of the OT in mind to keep threads like this from existing"

^^ :rolleyes:

Anyway, DarthSin I agree with your references as well.

I'd add to that list something having to do with Qui Gon...even if its just a belonging of his in the background of Obi Wan's home.

10. Franchise469

Franchise469 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2006
    I wish that every other word in the movies was Darth Maul...

Come on, I don't want to be negative, but all of the people putting Mace, the name Palpatine and Qui Gon in the OT are just being hopeless fanboys. What impact would mentioning their names really do to drive the storyline of the OT?

The OT is, and always will be, the path Luke takes that mirrors his father. His choices, compared to Vader's, are what makes the Saga work. Adding all of the elements from the PT into the OT would simply complicate the storyline, and cause the hassles and loose ends that keep us on this forum. I say that if it doesn't drive the storyline, then there is no reason to have it in the OT.

I do however agree with the idea of having different aircraft and remnants (the droids as a waiter in the cantina, etc.) in the background. Something that true fans will see in the background and nudge their buddies ("Hey, did you see that?") would be perfect, while not taking anything away from the pacing and dialogue of the movie.

11. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    As I said in the original post, I do think that hearing the Emperor called Palpatine would be legitimate to hear, as well as hearing the name Sith, or a reference to them in the OT given what we know from the PT.

For me with what we know of the Sith in the Prequels, it would just make sense to hear about them given the fact that Vader and the Emperor wanted to turn Luke to the dark side in order that he would become one of them, and one of them is a Sith.

12. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Im glad the Prequels were not filmed with the "spirit of the originals" in mind. Because they would have sucked. There are some things that I feel are lacking in the OT after having seen the PT. But its better to deal with a few of these things rather than not having good prequels.

That said......PADME PADME PADME PADME PADME PADME Coruscant.

I would support trying to add maybe just two little lines from Obi-Wan about Padme. Something about how strong your mother's prescence is within you Luke. Something like that. It would make a huge difference. If they could fake AGs voice and slip it in there somehow it would make a huge difference for me.

After all. The reason Luke succeeds where Ani fails, in my opinion, is because he has Padme's blood in him as well as Ani's

13. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    I do agree that something more about the mother of Luke and Leia would definitely be a welcomed addition.

Before I say more, let me clear the air when I say that I am not suggesting that Lucas go back and try to add these things. I am merely saying, if it were possible what things in light of what you have seen and heard in the Prequels would you like to see in the OT?

Again, for me besides Padme getting more recognition, I say that the acknowlegement of the Sith's existence in the OT would be most appropriate given that the very existence of the Empire is rooted in the Sith's desiring to rule the galaxy. And even moreso, Anakin in the prequels turned to the dark side and became the Sith apprentice of Palpatine/Sidious.

In the OT, especially from ESB to ROTJ, it basically comes down to Vader and Palpatine trying to overthrow one another, and then desiring to convert Luke to the dark side to become a Sith.

Lastly, again though not possible to do, I would love to have a scene wherein Luke is told about the Sith and how they came to rule the galaxy under Palpatine with Vader at his side. And to be honest, even having Luke hear about the Jedi believeing that Anakin was the Chosen One, and the prophecy.

14. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    Han Solo is about to be frozen in carbonite:

Darth Vader: Wait, is that C3PO?

C3PO: Is that the maker?

Darth Vader: Hold on, don't freeze Solo yet, what did they do to my droid?

C3PO: I lost my legs, just like you right?

Darth Vader: Well, I lost mine a totally different way, but what has been going on?

C3PO: Nothing really, I am just stuck behind Chewbacca here

Darth Vader: Chewbacca, the one with good relations with Yoda

Chewy: HOWL!!!!!

Boba Fett: Wait a second Vader, my father got killed by your fellow jedi Mace!

Darth Vader: Yeah, but I chopped off his hand before I turned, so don't get mad at me!

Leia: Stop this bickering, before 1999, all of us here never knew each other, and now all of the sudden this is one coincidence after another!

Darth Vader: You should see how they portrayed me in AOTC......

15. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I have to say that overall, i am glad everthing from the PT is not referenced in the OT as I like watching the OT as an introduction to the universe, where we gradually learn about the issues and then by the time i watch the PT even more light is shed on it

by watching 4-6 then 1-3 you always learn new info about the overall story you didnt know before

with references to your specific points...

16. Franchise469

Franchise469 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2006

[face_laugh] Nice....=D=

17. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I would have went with 1 and 4, possibly 2. Number 1, if the idea was present, would have been a simple thing to introduce. Number 4 would also be easy as a passing reference. "Emperor Palpatine has just debanded the Senate." Number 2 would be ok, but harder to put in. I think that Showing Coruscant in the OT would have been poor, because the imagery in the PT would have had to somewhat revolve around it. Also, I think that Luke and Leia knowing their mother's name would blow the whole cover. The fact that Padme was a well kept secret is something that would change if Luke or Leia knew Padme.

Carnage

18. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    I wish we could have seen that dude in the black armour, that we see at the end of ROTS.

Oh. Wait....

:p

-JR :)

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd like to see Vader mention Padme.

Specifically, what I'd like to see instead of:

Luke: Come with me.
    Vader: Obi-Wan once thought as you do...

(Which, after watching RotS makes no sense at all)

Is this:

Vader: Your mother once thought as you do...

It would work better with the scene, and it works better considering Padme's dialog in RotS

Padme: Come away with me...

20. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001

I'd like to see Vader mention Padme.-Ulicas

Vader: Your mother once thought as you do... -Ulicas

That's the one thing I'd argue for more of George's meddling within the OT. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine basically with any further changes he wants to put in there, but that's the one thing, the only thing i feel he needs to change.

Other than that a few cosmetic additions-not really neccessary you understand but welcome nonetheless.
    1. greater variation among the stormtroopers ala the clones in EP. III
    2. Imperial gunships in the Battle of Hoth like the Republic gunships from EP. II and III-it always struck me as odd that the Empire chose not to employ any air support for the Walkers (not that it was needed what with the feeble defense the Rebellion put up against the Walkers alone-it just seems like they're holding back for some reason.)
    3. A few background cameos wouldn't be discouraged either-something like a Destroyer droid or Super battledroid as a bouncer beside the entrance into the Cantina in ANH. Or a local podracing arena as Luke looks through the macrobinocs at Mos Eisley.

21. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    1. I wish that the Sith were referred to in some way in the OT

4. I wish that the Emperor's name Palpatine was said in the OT

Yeah cuz when they all of the sudden just mention it in the EU books we would have known why, it have disturbed me for a long time that they al of the sudden knew everything about the darkside, the Sith Order and Palpy.

5. I wish that Luke and Leia could have learned about their mother, and her name by ROTJ

Well, I?m glad that someone agrees with me but I also think that in the end, when Anakin comes back as a force ghost (Hayden) that Padmé would have showed up as a ghost herself, I mean, I know that she isn?t a Jedi but first Yoda said in AOTC; ?Strong in the force you are?? and on top of that she was married to ?the chosen one? and the mother of Luke and Leia and if she would be there in the end, then we would know that the Saga was complete.

I hope that she is with in the new addition of SW.

It also disturbs me that Luke never asked about his mom other then to Leia and that Anakin did not even mention her before he died.

And thanks to you as well princethomas, we need Padmé, and Obi-Wan should have told Luke about her at some point, even if it only was something simple like what you said. Just to tide up the fact that Luke and Leia did not just jump out of the ground, and also, why did GL give her the part as queen and senator? I mean, he could have given her something simpler because if she was these things and if she came from the same planet as Palpy then why haven?t they heard of her, especially Leia.

---

And I wish that Obi-Wan would have told Luke more about the ?real? story of both Anakin?s turning and about Qui-Gon.

Thank God for fanfiction on many of these questions, there we can make up our own OT ;).

22. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I do think Obi-Wan should have mentioned Qui-Gon and explained a little more about Anakin/Vader's turn.

The Padme thing...that could have been taken care by Leia's conversation with Luke on Endor in ROTJ.

LEIA
    Luke, what's wrong?

Luke turns and looks at her a long moment.

LUKE
    Leia... do you remember your mother? Your real mother?

LEIA
    Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.

LUKE
    What do you remember?

LEIA
    Just...images, really. Feelings.

LUKE
    Tell me.

LEIA
    (a little surprised at his insistence)
    She was very beautiful. Kind, but...sad. (far away look)She was once a Queen and Senator from Naboo and a founder of the Rebel Alliance. My stepfather told me about her...even showed me a hologram. He used to tell me I look just like her.(smiles) Her name was Padme Amidala.
    (looks up)
    Why are you asking me all this?

He looks away.

LUKE
    I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

LEIA
    Luke, tell me. What's troubling you?

LUKE
    Vader is here...now, on this moon.

23. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    That's not bad, actually. Just one small nitpick: Leia called Bail her father in ANH, so it's safe to say that she considers him close enough to think of him as her actual father, and would not refer to him as stepfather.

It would be nice to hear the word Sith in the OT, but I have to disagree about Palpatine. The fact that he is refered to as "the Emperor" only adds to his mystic. Besides, it shows that he is so powerful that he no longer is called by his real name, like Hitler was called "the leader" by most germans rather than his actual name. "The Emperor" sounds very powerful.

Besides, already in the PT Palpatine is already refered to as "Chancellor" much more often than he is called Palpatine so it fits, IMO.

24. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    1. I wish that there was reference to Padme.
    2. I wish their was more about Darth when he was Anakin
    3. I wish that there was more aboput the old jedi order, especially about being unable to to marry. (coughs) "Children of the Jedi"

25. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I REALLY like that. Very well done! I never even thought of changing that line to something like that, but that works very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.