main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Are The Actual Official Roles/Responsibilities of Moderators?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Souderwan, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    [face_laugh]

As silly as I think this thread is (Souderwan, dear, you know I love you but surely you've noticed my lack of posting?), things would have been infinitely more simple if someone had responded to his initial post with the list Roo just put up.

Thanks for letting us know the reference point, KW.

Zonoma

edits: because spelling is my friend

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

:)

Honestly, this has been common sense for us for so long, it's there in MS and isn't a big deal to put in the Rules and Announcments forum. It isn't as specific as what it sounds like you want, but if it helps to point users to that when "drama" arises, then I'll do that right now. :p

3. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks KW and Rhonderoo. I appreciate the info.

Before I move on and find something more constructive to do with my time, I'd only suggest that you post those guidelines in you "What you can expect from a Moderator" section in the Rules and Announcent forum.

Moving on.

Edit: Rhonderoo, it's plenty specific enough. Thank you. I can't lock the thread so I suggest one of you Mod-types do that as I've had my question finally answered. Thanks! :)

4. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999

Way back in 2000 and before, there was almost no mod involvement (then again, we didn't have a specific fanfic mod until summer of 2001). The various awards threads happened randomly and with relatively little fanfare or any lasting effects after they were over.

However, as the population of fanfic grew, these award threads became more popular and gained something of a sense of 'legitimacy' and over the next few years into late 2001 and 2002, users began to take them quite seriously and, unfortunately, disagreements and accusations arose every time the awards were held.

By necessity, the various mods over the years began to step in more and more in an attempt to keep things level-headed and so that one group of users (not a specific group, mind you, but over the years it seems that various groups or 'cliques,' at one time or another, have attempted to dominate the awards for their own purposes) didn't overrun the awards for their own glory at the expense of everyone else.

So to finally answer your question, heavy mod involvement in the fanfic awards is an unfortunate necessity and I don't foresee that changing in the near future.

As far as the other questions in your post, I think others have answered those better than I would.

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Posted in Rules and Announcements forum.

See? Easy. ;)

The thread in MS is something that is linked in our header and Sapient has every new mod read .

And Herman, it's something that changes with each Fan Fic awards. Last time it was said there was too much involvement, this time not enough, but that's something for awards discussion or actually since if it's a mod "issue" or complaint, the.....duh duh duh... Moderator Complaint Process. :p

6. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    :eek:

Question asked?

Question answered!

Resolution!!!!

[face_dancing]

7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks, Roo! :D

Herman, I appreciate the info. I actually didn't really post the question for myself (don't really care). I posted it because I've seen it come up (along with the other questions).

In either case, I appreciate the thoughtful responses and it's been...englightening. :) Thanks again!

Next topic, anyone?

8. DDL

DDL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2005
    I wonder if this is the opportune time to ask this...

What exactly is the difference between a moderator and a manager? I mean, managers have the power to give mod powers and use HTML (from what I've observed/heard), but what major differences are there, if any? Do managers have more responsibility/things they must do? If not, why the distinction?

9. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I believe that managers are given the title "manager" after being a moderator for three months. I don't know if there are any additional abilities that come along with it other than being able to sticky threads.

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Promote/demote VIPS - only managers can bann vips (ie give and take away colours).
    Not that a VIP must be 'demoted' to regular user before they can be banned, even if that demotion is only temporary.

11. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Difference between a Mod/Manager is that the manager status gives a you more access to administrative tools--like the ability to sticky threads, move threads, change banners, order an air strike, etc... Manager status is granted after three or more months of acceptable mod status as determined by the Administration and to head it off, no I do not know the definition of "acceptable" that the Administration uses or where it is written down.

12. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure that "moderators" can only use board code while "managers" can use HTML. My best guess is that this policy is intended to keep people from linking to stuff like off-site interactive content that might slow the workings of the board and possibly cause security problems.

Only the managers (and their hairdressers) know for sure, though. :p

(Edit): Ooh, air strikes?! I thought I was jealous about the HTML thing, but now I'm *seriously* jealous. :(

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Managers and admins can use HTML while mods are limited to board code. However, if a manager should leave and be demoted to VIP or regular user, anything they posted in HTML is lost. That has screwed up a few forum indexes that were done by former managers using HTML. Personally, I tend to use HTML only when something can't be done using the markup code (like when I did the Fett Mod Squad update back in May).

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Another Manager perk is that they get to rotate banners! Which was one of the highlights of my entire days on this mortal coil![face_dancing]

Sad aren't I? :_|

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've only really used that feature when the image server is acting up. I've flipped boards to the default gray and also put back banners. CrazyMike usually handles updating the Collecting banner when we have a contest.

16. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I remember once you put teh yellow and black banner up in the 3SA for me. Ah what a day! :p

17. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    That banner always gave my eyes, blisters. :(

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yes, it was a lot of fun rotating the banners. The highlight of my day for sure. [face_laugh]

19. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    You should note that there are some moderators in hiding. They look like a regular user, like a cop in an unmarked car.

You never know when they'll strike. They have no guidelines and a right to ban whenever they wish.

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You should note that there are some moderators in hiding. They look like a regular user, like a cop in an unmarked car.

You never know when they'll strike. They have no guidelines and a right to ban whenever they wish.

Uh oh, our secret is out. :eek:

21. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Mods playing in a thread asking about Mod duties that appears to have finished its useful lifespan. The person who started it even requested for it to be locked. Nice.

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Actually, I wasn't "playing." Since I was gone, I joined the discussion late. I read over the thread, saw it had been resolved and just wanted everyone to know I had read it. I thought it might be nice to end the discussion in a lighthearted way. That's all. I saw no need to reiterate everything that had been said - and settled.

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Let's lighten up. Remember what I said about mods being people too? It's fine if there's a joke thrown in once in a while. We're talking about politics on a Star Wars message board, here. ;) :) We don't always lock a thread just because the person that started the thread asked us to. That's up to the Comms moderators. :) Seriously, this has been a great thread for dialogue. Keep it positive. Great job, everyone. :)

24. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Everyone already said what I wanted to say. :p

I very much agree that how every mod interprets the guidelines will be vastly different. Beyond basic participation and enforcing the TOS, some mods are very proactive - they follow up with thread hosts or run the threads themselves. Others work more in the background, helping users navigate the forums. Myself, I find the latter much easier and more fun to do. Some mods even go above and beyond, helping people with bad posting habits become better users. It's not an official responsibility - after all, those users could easily be banned - but the mods take the time to really bring them into the community.

In Fan Fic we encourage people to take more responsibility. They manage threads, collect stories for various indices, lead teams of volunteers during the Awards (this never fails to impress me) - all of that on top of reporting TOS violations. I think it's lead to a great little community, and my favorite part is that despite any troubles we have, there are still so many people willing to help others. I absolutely consider fostering that sense of community to be one of my jobs as a mod. It's not always easy with so many different user opinions, and a lot of times it seems to clash with the job of enforcing the TOS, but I just try to have fun right along with everyone else.

25. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Just adding to what Rhonda has said, but if you get everything down too finely in regards to a messageboard you stiffle the board and it's potential growth. Given that messageboards are essentially giant social gatherings you have to have the flexibility to be able to adjust to the changing currents of the userbase.

Actually, a large party is a great analogy for a moderators role. The role of the host of a party is completely dependant on what is happening. In one room they only need to be popping in to clear out the rubbish since things are going great in there, in other rooms they need to step in and lead some of the talking because it's hesitant and slow otherwise. Sometimes they just need to walk through the room with little snacks and tidbits to help things keep moving along, while in others they have to walk in and strong-arm the obnoxious loud guy and throw him out the front door. Sometimes the conversation in one room is going along so greatly that they can just join in and have fun with everyone else, while in others people are starting to get heated over talking politics that they have to intervene and cool people down.

So how would you describe that role? A negotiator? An enforcer? A participant? A cleaner? A leader? It's nebulous and deliberately vague because as always it's to do with the situation at hand, just like the job of a moderator should be so that they can do their main job function, which is to keep the forums moving and a hive for people to discuss topics and interact with each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.