main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are the best Clone Wars novels?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthShona, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    I'm not too familiar with the EU books pre-ANH but I've been wanting to check out some in the Clone Wars series. What are the best ones?

2. Jedi_Master_Taint

Jedi_Master_Taint Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2004
    Avoid the Cestus Deception at all costs, if possible do not even read the summary. You can never get those wasted moments back.

Shatterpoint was by far the best, looking forward to Yoda's book though.

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Shatterpoint was written with a fist-thumping arrogant writing style. Windu demands you address him as nothing less than Master, and hell forbid you don't obey his snap mouthing commands, he'll flick your nose, classic school bully tactic. It was about as ridiculous a book as you can get, and that's not counting the other faults it had. And that corny Matrix-style jungle duel . . . [face_laugh]

Medstar has no action scenes, so if character talking is your tea, drink up. Better to wait a long year for Cestus Deception and Jedi Trial (utterly uncreative title there!) in paperback. That way, if you're disappoint it's only half the cost!

4. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    That way, if you're disappoint it's only half the cost!

[face_laugh]!! Very true!

Thanks you guys for replying so fast. :) I guess should have asked in my first post what the best ones were involving Anakin or Obi-Wan. (Though there's nothing wrong with Mace, don't get me wrong! :p )

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I've enjoyed all of the novels. Shatterpoint, Cestus Deception and Jedi Trial. Those are fairly hit and miss. The best in quality are pretty much Medstar and Republic Commando.

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Best to worst:

Shatterpoint
    Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    MedStar I
    MedStar II
    The Cestus Deception/Jedi Trial (tie)

But, trust me -- the best is yet to come.

7. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Well, I liked The Cestus Deception . . .

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Don't let Mace Windu as a main character steer you away from Shatterpoint.

9. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    I too like Cestus Deception.

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Cestus and Jedi Trial seem to be hit or miss with most people.

11. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    The two best (IMO) are Shatterpoint and Hard Contact. Next comes the MedStar duo, followed by Jedi Trial and Cestus Deception.

12. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Shatterpoint, Shatterpoint, Shatterpoint. Best by far.

(Though I've not read Cestus, Trail, or Hard Contact. Going from the reviews here, the only one which might come close is Hard Contact).

13. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    There are many varied opinions on this. And that's just what they are. Opinions.

Anyway, let me throw this out there, for what it's worth. A poll at The Unofficial Clone Wars Site (http://www.starwarz.com/clonewarseu/community) that has been up for a few days, since Oct. 28th, with 50 voters so far gives the following results:

The best Clone Wars novel so far is...

Shatterpoint
    (1)2%
    The Cestus Deception
    (7)14%
    Medstar I: Battle Surgeons
    (7)14%
    Medstar II: Jedi Healer
    (0)0%
    Republic Commando: HC
    (9)18%
    Jedi Trial
    (26)52%

Total Voters : 50

14. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    It was about as ridiculous a book as you can get, and that's not counting the other faults it had. And that corny Matrix-style jungle duel . . .

Have you ever seen AOTC, cuz Obi-Wan and Jango also meet in midair.

Anyway, I only read Shatterpoint, and it's the best SW novel I've read so far (bear in mind I haven't read many, but it's still an awesome book).
    I advise you to start with the books that everyone seems to enjoy, and then move on to those hit or miss novels. But I think (and hope) the best is yet to come with Labyrinth of Evil.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Hard Contact is made up of all original characters and is one of the best novels in a very long time. I highly recommend it.

Shatterpoint is OK, and if you like action you may want to go that way but I personally didn't enjoy that one too much.

16. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks a lot everybody. :)

17. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Jedi Trial is that bad? I've avoided anything to do with it thusfar (spoilerphobic). I only read the prolouge in the store but it looked very promising. But then again the first 70 pages of Cestus were good.

Anyway personally.

Republic Commando: Hard Contact. Despite my worries of a female author (Not sexist. It's just that after such masterful works of art like Crystal Star, Children of the Jedi, Planet of Twilight, New Rebellion and Dark Journey who can blame me?) I love commandos, tactics and guys with guns. Probably explains my FPS addiction.

Shatterpoint. Excellent novel. Mace Windu rocks and Kar Vastor is a great adversary. RC:HC only wins by a fraction of a point because I like commandos more than Jedi.

Battle Surgeons. Great book. Excellent writing and dialouge. Interesting characters and my only problem was that it was light on action.

Cestus Deception. As I said above the first few dozen pages were promising. And then, save a few cool duels, it got ****y.

Jedi Healer. A real dissapointment. It lacked some of the characters that I enjoyed from BS. It had even less action (save Sullustan [face_sick]) and the spy thing wasn't surprising (despite Mr. Reaves' best efforts to make confusing posts).

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I've been reading more and more of Hard Contact, and I think that it's probably the best, along with Medstar.

19. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    HEY! I liked New Rebellion! I can't believe you don't find the idea of Luke having a near death experience trapped within the jaws of vegetarian animal or attacked by giant pink bubblegum to be anything less than sheer genius. :p

Out of curiosity, what's the name of the latest novel that was shipped out? I've heard alot of people are digging Anakin's more mature character in it. Jedi Trial, I'm thinking most likely. But which ones deal with Ventress...? <---has been out of the SW loop for awhile

20. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Well, I'll go out there on a limb and say I liked the Cestus Deception. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, and the ending did seem a little off in returns of one of the Clone Troopers, but I still enjoyed the book. I haven't yet read Jedi Trial (waiting to borrow it from a fanforce friend or the library). I thought Shatterpoint was downright terrible and very difficult to finish. I haven't read MedStar II yet, but I did enjoy the first book even though it was mostly talking and contemplation instead of action and things happening.

21. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    HEY! I liked New Rebellion! I can't believe you don't find the idea of Luke having a near death experience trapped within the jaws of vegetarian animal or attacked by giant pink bubblegum to be anything less than sheer genius.

I bet you liked the fire breathing lizards who hated Lando, the pink Wookiee who was all over Chewie, the student of Luke's who somehow went from average Jedi student to more powerful than Luke and Leia combined and R2 leading a droid army too. ;)

22. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Kueller was cool.

As for the Clone Wars novels - a little late to the party, I know - but the four I've read (Shatterpoint, Cestus, Battle Surgeons, Jedi Healer) have all ranked between 9 and 10 out of 10. All great stuff.

23. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Shatterpoint and the MedStar duology are amazing, despite the lack of action in MedStar - I'm still waiting for Medstar 3 :p

24. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Shatterpoint: Darker and grittier than just about every other SW novel, while still keeping good action and humor. Extremely well written, it's one of the best individual pieces of EU out there, IMO.

Cestus Deception, Jedi Trial: Haven't read them yet.

Republic Commando: Hard Contact: It reads like a really really good FPS game. Felt like I was playing a NoLF-style SW game while reading it, and that's a good thing. Unlike an FPS, it deals with more serious issues like clone sentience and personality, so it's quite good. Almost as good as Shatterpoint, and that's a lot of praise from me.

MedStars: They are neither plot nor action driven novels. For some, that's a bad thing, but if you go in and aren't looking for either of those, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The characters are interesting, there's some humor, and I think they'll look much better when we get Coruscant Nights.

25. Alia_Solo_Vos

Alia_Solo_Vos Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2004
    I thought Shatterpoint was fairly good. Cestus Deception, I found to be okay, but it really lacked any serious characterization of Obi-Wan. Jedi Trial is decent, though, again, I find that I would have enjoyed more charaterization on Nejaa Halcyon and even Anakin. The books seem too short. I would gladly read a 500+ page book if it offered a solid story with characterization and plenty of time with those characters instead of leaping from scene to scene.

Personally, I have found the comics to be the best as far as the Clone War storyline goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.