main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are the best/worst features of KoTOR I/II?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aggy_Head, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The 1.03 patch resolves just about all of KOTOR's predominant issues, and has better features.

2. lead1revolt

lead1revolt Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2005
    who the hell plays a video game for the computer generated girls in it?

3. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    *raises hand*

It's hard to find a girlfriend. Esp. when you are a Wookiee.

jk.

In all seriousness. Why do you think people buy Bloodrayne? Personally I find the KotOR girls hot. But I'm not obsessed. Then again I find Mara Jade hot... And Mirax... And Jaina...

:eek: I have a thing for fictional characters! My love life is doomed!

4. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    KOTOR2, as far as pure gameplay is concerned, is a more than worthy successor to KOTOR1's mantle.

Sadly, in plot terms, it's just plain not as good. Towards the end of the game, the story begins to rapidly disintergrate. You really get the feeling that the push for that glorious Christmas release forced the developers to cut alot of sidequests and subplots. As Lord Noone said, there were so many intriguing stories that could've been, but simply weren't.

Darth Nihilus is an interesting character, to say the least. So imbued with the Force is he that he's essentially lost all but the most basic human characteristics, and he can consume all life on a world with a thought. An entire game could be built around the man. But as KOTOR2 gives it to us, he's referenced at by Visas, a forboding cutscene is shown, nothing happens for half the game, and then suddenly you're leading a party of Mandalorians (with Australian accents, I might add ;)) aboard the Ravager. And then, to add insult to the entire character, I defeated him on my first try. That's not really a fault with Nihilus directly, there are serious balance issues in regards to Force Storm. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the only thing I used in the game after I was bestowed with it.

The planets also weren't so great. Korriban and Dantooine were just boring, and Nar Shaddaa become an exercise in tedium simply because of its size and the long loading times related to that. Dxun and Onderon were great fun, though. Doing odd jobs for the Mandalorians and ambling around Iziz while gradually undermining Talia's rule were some of the funnest moments in the game.

I gotta say, though, HK was at the top of his bloodthirsty form in KOTOR2. The love remark was just classic.

Bugs weren't much of a trouble for me; maybe that's because LEC cleared some of them up for the PAL release (which was, for both Xbox and PC, about a week ago). I experienced only occaisonal clipping and framerate issues on my Xbox version. The game never crashed or irrevocably stuck me anywhere, which I'm glad of.

5. Az_Lionheart

Az_Lionheart Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2005
    i agree with you on one of your points....what was the point in Darth Nihilous????????

i was hoping that was where one of the twists would be and that he would turn out to be Bastilla etc...but no...i also beat him in my first go :)

6. Joking_Around

Joking_Around Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    As annoying some parts of Kotor 2 are (the Peragus mine)and in some ways I like Kotor 1 better...Kotor is an awesome base for them to build a KOTOR 3 off of.

PS: I dont like training my party members as Jedi...its kinda stupid to have all jedi in your party.

7. mayhem0420

mayhem0420 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2005
    Darth whats his name is supposed to be the EXTREM of what can happen if you go all the way DS. He became so dark that he wasnt even human anymore. While Atris is the total opposite, she went so LS that she went mad. Kreia tells you that during the game. They are supposed to be more of a symbol than a character (s).
    The main "bad" guys are TRAYA and SION.
    Master and Student. Kinda like Malak and Bandon of the 1st KOTOR.

8. Jediknight_Wendy

Jediknight_Wendy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    Much of what i wanted to point out has already been said already in some great post so ill just be doing alot of agreeing KOTOR II had alot of great elements to it i really liked the expanded force powers and prestige classes however the game it's self felt rather hallow compared to KOTOR which in my opinion is one of the finest games to date in recent history.

I suppose one of the things that that irked me was for me call me old fashion but there were too many dark jedi and sith lords roaming around..i kinda like that whole two rule for a reason Nihilus not only had a great look going on he had a great idea behind him and so much could have been done i felt with that one character but they just left it at that..and for something supposedly that strong he did go down..in one try such a pity..

i saw the whole thing with Kreia comeing...and i think that alot more could have been done with Atris much on the same level of Nihilus i will add i loved the fact that Canderous became Mandalore ..when i saw that..it made my day he was great in the game as far as im concered but i guess my main problem with KOTOR II is i never got entralled in the story like i did with the orginal and with a sudden twist..kotor II just felt like alot of ''busy work'' with some pretty force powers to me i loathed each planet you went to even Korriban which i loved in the orginal Peragus was HORRIBLY boreing Iziz was fun towards the end...but thats about it to me i guess KOTOR 2 is simply the ''game that could have been'' but thats just pure opinion :)

9. Joking_Around

Joking_Around Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    Try taking this forum to Kotor 1 vs Kotor II forum...

10. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    Here's something, has anyone else figured out that Kavar was the exile's master.

11. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    RushinSundaws posted on 2/26/05 8:03am
    Here's something, has anyone else figured out that Kavar was the exile's master.
    [hr][/blockquote] I think it's stated pretty clearly in the game...but yeah I noticed that the first time through. Pretty cool if you ask me. I also like what Mandalore says about Kavar...how the Mandalorians strategized their assault on the galaxy with him in mind as the leader of the Republic forces. They counted on him, not Revan, leading the forces against them and that was their undoing.

12. Woodsprite4

Woodsprite4 Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2005
    Worst - FEMALE ROMANCE OPTIONS!

My bf and I currently have parallel games of KOTOR II going on ? I?m playing as a light side female, he is playing as a light side male. We are enjoying the game, HOWEVER, I am extremely irritated that while HIS romance option is a gorgeous Echani handmaiden who practices sparring in sexy black underwear, MY romance option is the freaking over-the-hill DISCIPLE! First of all, he looks like old Richard Gere on a bad hair day. Secondly, he is a nicey-nice scientist/historian with a pansy voice who follows me around like a puppy dog telling me how much he admires me. They seriously picked the LEAST desirable, least challenging, most un-enigmatic character in the whole game and thrust him at us. Give me strong silent sexy Bao-Dur, bad boy Atton, or even Mira instead!

13. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I like:
    -The increased abilities to build/upgrade weapons and armor.
    -The idea of influence over the party.
    -The character design.

I disliked:
    -That even when put way off to the dark side, Mira and the Handmaiden and everyone else still acted nice.
    -The brokenness of the ending.
    -The bugs. OMG the bugs.

14. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I like all the KoTOR threads.

I dislike that they get closed.

15. Naga_Shadow

Naga_Shadow Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2004
    {{Worst - FEMALE ROMANCE OPTIONS!

My bf and I currently have parallel games of KOTOR II going on ? I?m playing as a light side female, he is playing as a light side male. We are enjoying the game, HOWEVER, I am extremely irritated that while HIS romance option is a gorgeous Echani handmaiden who practices sparring in sexy black underwear, MY romance option is the freaking over-the-hill DISCIPLE! First of all, he looks like old Richard Gere on a bad hair day. Secondly, he is a nicey-nice scientist/historian with a pansy voice who follows me around like a puppy dog telling me how much he admires me. They seriously picked the LEAST desirable, least challenging, most un-enigmatic character in the whole game and thrust him at us. Give me strong silent sexy Bao-Dur, bad boy Atton, or even Mira instead!}}

I agree totally. You should be able to get together with Atton

16. Juggernaut86

Juggernaut86 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    KOTOR 1

I felt like u didnt get enough time to built ur character's abilities

17. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    That's true. I'm only on the second planet in KOTOR II, and I'm already at Level 17 Jedi Master 1.

It took me forever to level up in KOTOR, and when you got to the Jedi Enclave, you had to start all over again.

18. DarthNapoleon

DarthNapoleon Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    I can't think of anything I didn't like about KOTOR, except that it wasn't long enough, it is wonderful overall.
    KOTOR 2 is much easier though. There were way too many bugs and crashes. There were more holes in the plotline than in swiss cheese. Some stories ended abruptly, and some never had time to develop. The game just seemed way too rushed. I did like the addition of more powers and having more influence on people.

19. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    I totaly agree with you on the charaters. The worst is Kreia. But i tink bastial is better than the handmadian.

20. IG-88

IG-88 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 1999
    Best feature of KOTOR was the final battle on the Star Forge. It was exciting, challenging, and very climactic building up from the rest of the game.

The worst feature of KOTOR was your inability to convince many that you were Revan once you found out.

The best feature of KOTOR II was Darth Sion. His dialouge upon your escape from Korriban(light side) was classic. Though the final battle left some to be desired, see below.

The worst feature of KOTOR II was the final battle on Malachor. It was boring, unchallenging, and very anti-climactic building up from the rest of the game.

21. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    I could write a novel on everything excellent in the 1st game so i won't touch that.

Best in KOTOR 2:
    -Kreia losing a hand in the noblest SW tradition
    -the "slave leia" outfit
    -all those wacky new saber colors
    -that watto cameo
    -the tank droid
    -training others in the force
    -getting to fight on the Ebon Hawk
    -the music plaing as u confront the Masters
    -the shockingly brutal and un-Star Wars like scene
    when Treya is cast down
    -the fact that u have to play at least twice to get
    everybody
    -force confusion,crush etc.
    -influence

too much to list in the worst category; top 3:
    -the ending
    -the planets
    -character interaction(no character sidequests and precious little dialougue options-not even good ole "do you know anything about this place?"

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    KOTOR II

Good points

Better, more original plot than KOTOR (IMHO),
    Kreia nuking the Jedi Council in three seconds flat, and me gasping and swearing blind at the implications,
    Sion cutting off Kreias hand,
    Blowing up the Ravager,
    Fighting seven Jedi in the caves under Korribans surface
    Darth Traya....full stop. Coolest Sith I've scene, except Sidious.

Bad Points

Glitches
    Plot holes
    Missing characters due to sex...so annoying.

23. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Were KOTOR glitches fixed in the "Platinum" reduced price version for Xbox?

Just curious, as I thinking of getting KOTOR2 soon, but would wait if there would be fixed in the platinum version.

24. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Can anyone comment on my question above?

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

By Vader's breath, no one has mentioned the cutscenes???

The Sith Lord stop and start every few seconds!

You get a few secs of dramatic music, cut off abruptly, followed by a few more secs of footage. It's horrifying, and so large an issue to resolve no patch will fix that leak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.