main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are the best/worst features of KoTOR I/II?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aggy_Head, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tryia

tryia Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2005
    ""They seriously picked the LEAST desirable, least challenging, most un-enigmatic character in the whole game and thrust him at us. Give me strong silent sexy Bao-Dur, bad boy Atton, or even Mira instead!""

I agree :( But i dont think there was much of a romance option for anyone really, i thought it was gonna be atton just because he was like carth, but then he stops flirting and forgets about you or something.

And I thought the deal with malak's jaw was that the dark side deteriorates the body. Doesn't someone in KotOR say something along those lines?

I liked KoTOR2 more then 1 at first. Then after all the bugs and glitches, i was like no big deal i can deal with this, still a great game. Then after the ravager and how the game just sort of rushes off and a lot of the plots are forgotten and the sith lords have no real history, i was like, well i can still deal with this, still a great game!

Then the ending when kreia is telling me the future of my friends and i ask her about Bao-Dur and she say "I don't know" or something, i was like DIE KREIA I HATE THIS GAME! I mean what was the whole deal about how kreia couldn't hear bao-dur's thoughts but the exile could? I thought it meant he was in love with my character or something ..but sadly no :/ Then the ship flies away and i never learn what happens to Bao-Dur or his remote :( I'm so saddened by the lack of closure.

2. Master_Of_Teras_Kasi

Master_Of_Teras_Kasi Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2005
    I always thought his jaw was severed during the mandalorian wars or something. Because before the wars he looked normal.

3. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    Well the only thing bad obout KOTOR was that it had some glithes.

I really hated KOTOR 2. It was really rushed. Had a bunch of glitches. I just really hated it. Sorry

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I think I catalogued a dozen positives and some 26 technical/playability issues of the Sith Lords, in preparation to reviewing it. That I haven't done so in the months since seems to indiciate I've forgotten to.

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    KOTOR I-

Pro's:
    -Bastila [best character,IMO]
    -Very good story line.
    -Original
    -Awesome soundtrack
    -Characters were all cool [save T3]
    -Actually had a real purpose.
    -Awesome voice actors
    -Cool NPC quests

Cons:
    -Bad Jedi Robes
    -Glitches
    -T3
    -Repeatative NPC faces
    -Overlapping speeches from NPC'S [Apparently,E-chut-a means several different things]
    -Not enough closure for the ending
    -Not enough customization for your character [bad faces]

KOTOR II-

Pros:
    -Able to customize more [weapons,items,character.]
    -Nicer Jedi Robes
    -More lightsaber colours
    -Longer,more worlds
    -Relearning the force,advancing in the force.
    -More romances.
    -More choices

Cons:
    -Glitches
    -Boring storyline [IMO]
    -Unoriginal
    -T3,yet again.
    -No extra player quests.
    -No closure from the Original Ebon Hawk Crew,Not enough closure for the ending.
    -Bastila only appears for like,a split second.
    -More boring planets [like telos...]
    -Over dramatic.
    -Unable to change others fates [no matter what, the masters die]
    -Depressing.

Thats just what I think,but now that I've thought about both games,I think I'm going to play it. I havent played KOTOR II since I got it for christmas and beat it.

6. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    Best:

The Cast: Hate Atton, Love Mandalore, whatever, but it's just a very nicely done cast. Save for the reduced characterization for some of them due to being rushed, they're still quite cool and believible. I would take any excuse to kill G0-T0. Quite possible the most annoying character ever. Not to mention useless.

Flashback Sequence in the Cave: I really liked this, as it was a nice homage to Luke's failure at the cave. It was really cool to go in to confront the Exile's past. And T3 coming in to join the fight against Kreia was a nice dash of humor, heh.

Mandalorians: Kicking ass with the Canderous-led Mandalorians. What more do you want?

Worst:

Loading times, loading times, and loading times.

And of course, the utter "rushed-ness" of it.

Plus the showdown against Darth Ni. That was just sad. I mean, he barely put up a fight.

7. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    more romances in kotor II?

what... so a confused girl with no eyes tells you she's infatuated with you is more of a romance than snogging bastilla, the feisty piece i'd like to have any day...

no :p

T3 was quite cool though, doing a sorta r2 thing by keeping info hidden from you.

kotor ii was just crap because it left so much unresolved, there better be a kotor 3

8. darth_berryboy

darth_berryboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    Well the best things have all been listed: influence, tight stories in both, etc.

However, I am not a fan for turn based games. Don't get me wrong, I just bought KOTOR for xbox and have completed half of KOTOR II when I rented it. (Thank god for no more late fees at Blockbuster) I intend to buy it and will probably buy KOTOR III when/if it comes out even if it is turned based. I just feel on turn based games, there is no real strategy. Sometimes one thing works, the next time it doesn't just depending on what the "dice" says.

I think the ultimate RPG would be very similar to KOTOR I & II, but instead of turn based, have a fighting system like Revenge of the Sith. All the powers for you to choose from with the story and level depth of KOTOR I & II with the ultimate lightsabre fighting game of ROTS. THAT would be sweet!!!!!!!!=D= =D= =D=

9. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I played only the first KOTOR...

I liked
    * the characters - of course I didn't like every one of them, but still... it was funny even to dislike them :)

* the storyline and all the backstories. I'm now playing the whole game for the third time and I'm sure that I haven't discovered everything yet. And I tell you I was searching.

* There was nothing wrong with character customization. And that's NOT TRUE that you've got to start levelling up again from Dantooine. You're still on the same level, just since then levelling as a Jedi

* the music

I disliked
    * Endar Spire and Taris. It's obvious that the game is meant to be played more than once, so why the heck do I have to watch all the cutscenes of Siths fighting the republic soldiers? It drives me mad. And Taris is also boring... Although, to my suprise, I found something new there a few days ago: the Siths invited me to a party and they all got drunk [face_laugh]

* hm... sometimes I got LS/DS points even if I didn't realize I was doing something wrong/good. That was with the Genoharadan.

But to sum up... There's nothing like KOTOR in the galaxy [:D]

10. darktalon

darktalon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    I discovered this recently as well. The point is to snaffle a Sith uniform when they're all ratted so you can get past the guard at the Lower City entrance - normally you discover one when the Sith are harassing the alien who supplied uniforms to the Beks, but if you talk right to the Sith girl in the cantina she'll invite you to a Tarisian ale p***-up.

Both KOTOR games are excellent, and I've played both more than once. I didn't think 2 was quite so good as 1, but we could all see the potential. Which in some ways might have made people more disappointed than they would otherwise have been.

I liked the extra player options, including the new Jedi/Sith classes, the extra lightsaber colours and the idea of lightsaber combat forms. Though it would have been nice to see these having distinct animations to set them apart from each other visually as well as mechanically - in fact I might take that idea to the KOTOR 3 ideas thread. :)

The influence system was a good addition and the idea of training the rest of the crew as Jedi appealed.

There were more characters, but on the flipside their subplots weren't as good as the KOTOR 1 crew. This included the romantic subplots, but they'd have to have done really well to beat Revan/Bastila in that regard.

The reappearances of characters from KOTOR 1 brought a smile to my face. Especially when I realised the true identity of a certain human party member from 2. And the final cutscene before the (frankly poor) final level with LS male!Revan was also good. :)

KOTOR 2 was very buggy compared to 1 - it took me 2 hours just to get it running. Still worth it in the end. :)

11. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005

Hm... I was invited by a male Sith. but maybe that's because I'm playing female character. Or maybe I was just nicer to him ;)

However, I've got to apologise for what I said about Taris... It's not that boring, if you make a bit of effort :) But still I hate Endar Spire! Thank to the creators it's not very long.
    And isn't that funny, that you can get max DS at the beginning, and then turn into a good one again? Jedi always believe in the second chance ;)

12. elfin_chronicler

elfin_chronicler Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2006
    I don't like Kreia. She should go and die! It would be my pleasure to kill her on Malachor V. She really annoys me because of her pointless lectures (well her lectures aren't that pointless) and her lame opinion on EVERYTHING!!

13. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    not enough force powers, and why do you have to wait to realize you were a Jedi? or beome one quicker like in KOTOR II

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.