main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are "The Big Corellian Ships"???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord-Vegas, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's no evidence that they are, film or EU. You're speculating.

If ISD's were Corellian ships and Han could outrun them, why would he dumo his cargo at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser?

2. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    Another possible in-universe answer to this question comes from observing the entire interaction Han has with Obi-Wan & Luke in that scene. Basically, Han is attempting to BS them, thinking they are gumps without a clue about interstellar travel.

To Wit: "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs." (when parsecs are a unit of distance, not time.)

I know that some EU author attempted to explain this by way of a complicated story about why it makes sense, but the draft screenplays clearly demonstrate that after Han makes this statement, "Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation."

If you watch the film closely, you can see Obi-Wan's expression of skepticism when Han says the line.

GL obviously meant that line to be an indication of Han's propensity to fudge facts and inflate his own abilities. Why should the line about the Corellian Ships demand any more specific explanation than that?

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Corellian ships are supposedly designed to be fast, so if Han is saying that he's outrun them, he's not being specific about any type of ship, but Corellian-manufactured ships that are big and fast.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    "Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation."

Right, because the current Kessel Run record was 13 parsecs, and Obi didn't believe Han could beat it.

5. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Well BoShek beat that record so it musta been even less than 12 parsecs :p

6. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    ShaneP- The Big Corellian Ships are Star Destroyers.

The2ndQuest- There's no evidence that they are, film or EU. You're speculating.

If ISD's were Corellian ships and Han could outrun them, why would he dumo his cargo at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser?

Sure there is. Someone already posted this:
    From the CINEFANTASTIQUE double issue on SW from the 70s on page 86, modelmaker Dave
    Jones sez:

"I spent a good portion of the time working on the Corellian Cruiser. We called it the Star Destroyer when we worked on it. It was the delta-shaped cruiser that the Empire had."

Not that it matters at this point to readers of the EU as they have their own explanation and documentation as to what the big corellian ships are. But to say that there is NO evidense that at one time the SD's were meant to be the big Corellian ships is untrue.

Considering in the movies I have only seen 2 very large ships used by the Empire, SD's and Super SD's, I will go with the explanation from that crusty 70's magazine that the SD's were the big Corellian ships.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    ISDs are made by Kuat Drive Yards, not CEC.

8. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    But what about the Corellian shipyards? Could the Empire have contracted KDY to build a few SD's at the Corellian Yards, but not under CEC?

9. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Not to go off topic, but what was built at Bilbringi?

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Not to mention Fondor? Black Sword Command? Kuat was not the sole contractor for Imperial military.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    vw, you'll never bring them around as EU has poisoned their minds.

SD = Big Corellian Ships.

Bulk Cruisers = Imperial Cruisers.

Cruisers and Destroyers, different class, different ships.

12. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Another hole in the EU? What a shock.

I always got the impression that Han meant Star Destroyers when he was talking about "big Corellian ships".

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There are no holes in the EU. Everything fits.

ISDs are not Corellian-made ships.

14. Quiwan

Jun 29, 2000
    I choose not to believe such things... I hear what Han says but have never heard any mention of the Kuat Drive Yards in the movies. Therefore, it would seem that "big Corellian ships" are Star Destroyers.

If someone can show me where I'm wrong using the movies I will of course admit that I'm wrong.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Kuat Drive Yards is in Star Wars, and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if it's from the movies or the EU, since they are both Star Wars.

And besides, proof doesn't work that way. You have to prove that ISDs are Corellian ships, because there is zero evidence in the films that says they are.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    *yawn* put your The Emperor is a clone! comic down and watch the movies.

Watch that part again.

Han Solo is talking about outrunning imperial ships.

He then mentions local imperial bulk cruisers and then big corellian ships.

Wizard!

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Movies = the only official canon.

Incorrect. You'd think that someone who registered in March of '01 would know that by now.

18. Quiwan

Jun 29, 2000
    And you have zero evidence that the kuat drive yards exist because they are not in the movies.

Which is why I choose not to believe that they exist. And will wait until something from the movies tells me otherwise.

So, without someone preaching the EU, is there anything in the movies to suggest the big Corellian ships are anything besides Star Destroyers?

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    And you have zero evidence that the kuat drive yards exist because they are not in the movies.

The movies are not the only source of Star Wars information.

Which is why I choose not to believe that they exist. And will wait until something from the movies tells me otherwise.

Willfully ignoring evidence when it is right in your face is something I can never understand. Why limit yourself?

So, without someone preaching the EU, is there anything in the movies to suggest the big Corellian ships are anything besides Star Destroyers?

Yes. Nothing says Star Destroyers = big Corellian ships, so you cannot assume they are. You can only go by what the movies say if you truly are a purist.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    From what I can tell, the main evidence that links Correlain ships and ISD's is a modelmaker's (someone who has no influence on the SW storyline in any form) quote in an issue of Cinefantastique (a non-LFL publication). Official Lucasfilm sources say otherwise. Even TOS's movie-section database entry correlates.

You might as well argue that the Mandalorians fought during the Clone Wars in the PT films, since that was what another production artist said during the timeframe of ESB's production.

>>Bulk Cruisers = Imperial Cruisers.<<

Can't be, 'cause Han identified the Star Destroyer as an Imperial Cruiser.

The bottom line is you won't find any official source that labels or refers to Star Destroyers as "Corellian ships" and it takes a jump in logic to claim ANH makes such a connection.

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Nothing in the movies suggest Star Destroyers are Corellian-made ships, so we must turn to other sources (i.e the EU) which tell us that Kuat Drive Yards build the Star Destroyers.

Not to go off topic, but what was built at Bilbringi?

Post-Endor they made Star Destroyers. (Source: The Last Command) They may have also built them during the pre-Endor period, which means in all likelihood that Bilbringi was a sub-contractor for KDY in SD building.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Then why are you guys even in the MOVIE FORUM?

Go hang out in the EU Classic Era forum and ask yourself questions about green-rabbit Jedi, Cloned Luuuukes, and Sparti Cloning cylinders.

[face_laugh]

This is a forum asking question about the movies, not the EU.

Big Corellian Ships = Imperial Star Destroyers.

Imperial Cruisers = Bulk Cruisers who chase the heroes from Mos Eisley.

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    No movie says that big Corellian ships = Star Destroyers.

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, only Han Solo does.

From your POV, if a character doesn't give a Ric Olie reponse: "Look, it's the big corellian ships, and they're Imperial Star Destroyers!", then it doesn't exist.

Subtle dialogue.

25. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There are 3 kinds of ships that Han refers to:

Big Corellian ships
    Local bulk cruisers
    Imperial cruisers

3 different names, 3 different ship types.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.