main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are the biggest remaining EU mysteries?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This peeves me more than anything. Why did Jag have to let Vitor Reige become Head of State? Why did Daala have to get involved in Imperial politics at all? That whole situation should've never happened; Daala's fleet should've been wiped out by Jag's at the end of Ascension. As it is, we not only don't know how Jag becomes Emperor, we also don't know where the kark Daala and Lecersen disappeared to.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Denning!

Contessa, Zorrixor, werpudel and 3 others like this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The way things have been going, they probably disappeared in order to avoid being derailed into incompetent or antagonistic fools and then killed off.

TKT, Zorrixor, Cynical_Ben and 5 others like this.
  4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

Oh, how I want an answer to that question :( Also

What are the fates of Tholme, Quinlan Vos and Zao after the Jedi Purge?
    What happened to Zayne Carrick after the Mandalorian Wars?

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Those three were hunted down by Darth Vader and killed after a spectacular duel. At least, that's my headcanon. I dislike the idea of any Purge survivors aside from Yoda and Obi-Wan. Yoda's words about Luke being the last of the Jedi should be accurate.

ChildOfWinds and _Catherine_ like this.
  6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    For some reason, I seem to recall Bel Iblis having a stroke at some point to explain his disappearance. No idea where the idea came from.

7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    A more in-depth look at Cronal/Shadowspawn/Black Hole is long due.

Same goes for whatever became of Set Harth.

We never did find out what Zonama Sekot thought of Darth Caedus. ;)

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Did you read the blog on Cronal from a month or two ago?

9. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Doesn't ring a bell.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  11. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
  12. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    One big 'ongoing mystery' is the final fate of essentially every major character introduced in Star Wars Galaxies, a total number that is probably greater than that of all New Republic and New Jedi Order characters combined.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, that weirded me out too. It didn't piss me off as much as some because 1) I really don't care about Legacy any more than the rest of the post-NJO, and 2) the story of the Empire actually transitioning to a democracy was easily my favorite part of FOTJ. But yeah, it does seem to totally ruin the Legacy vision of the Empire.

Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, as far as I'm concerned the Expanded Universe continuity ended at The Unifying Force.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It just means Jag has to earn his way back to power, and not have it handed to him. Nobody ever said when he becomes Emperor.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Getting a bit ridiculous don't you think?

Contessa and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It would be funny if there was an EU story set between Episode II and III where Palpatine is impeached and disgraced and has to work his way back to office and clear his name.

Contessa, purplerain and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Give TCW enough time and Clovis still alive he would put Anakin and Padme under suspicion of something more than friends and there'll be some massive investigation about it.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Like having Anakin train a padawan between episodes, or bringing Maul back...

TKT and Bullhead CIty like this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, people are pretty anal about new characters. Look at Grievous. If Anakin had a padawan in Episode III, people would be upset. And if Maul came back...

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Wasn't this 'story' basically entirely in the last chapter of the final book, and in the context of Jag rigging the election because otherwise incompetent genocidal maniac Daala would have won?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yeah, Garm's absence from FOTJ was pretty glaring. CORELLIA, dammit.

As for Jag and the Remnant: I think we're pretty lucky that the post-ROTJ EU is being brought to a close. The FOTJ authors have bizarrely stated in interviews that they see Legacy as "one possible future." I can't help but suspect that they (Denning?) would have kept warping the situation to look as little like Legacy as possible, despite knowing full well how canon works. The pessimist in me feels like it would have eventually taken Luceno to fix the mess.

P. 227 of The Essential Atlas explicitly tells us how the Remnant turns into the monarchical Fel Empire --- I paraphrased it on the Wook as "(Jag's) "Victory Without War" program spread Imperial influence while aiding poverty-stricken worlds across the galaxy. The Remnant reclaimed considerable territory from the Galactic Alliance, and Fel's rule eventually morphed into an Emperorship." Yet despite that, Denning goes ahead and removes Jag from the leadership and turns the Remnant into a democracy. [face_plain]

Don't get me wrong --- I've always been a vocal arguer against setting up Legacy so early in the timeline simply for the sake of setting up Legacy. Jag taking control of the Empire and starting the Imperial Knights didn't have to happen for like, another twenty in-universe years, and Invincible's "Let's make Jag the Remnant's leader... just because" wasn't very inspired. But when you've already committed to setting up Legacy, suddenly doing a 180 on it is even dumber. Was it last-ditch face-saving, or was it outright rebelling against the idea that the future is already set in stone? Call me a nut, but the authors' comments do point toward the latter. These characters aren't your toys, Denning & Allston & Golden, they're LFL's, and other people get to play with them too.

Not setting up Legacy is one thing, but teasing the readers with Jag briefly controlling the Empire and a Triumvirate briefly ruling the Galactic Alliance, only to go ahead and kill both of those ideas altogether, is another thing entirely. It ends up looking like Crimson Empire III and its bringing the idea of a New Republic-Imperial Remnant peace treaty into play way too early in the timeline. Making prototypes of something that you know will happen later in the timeline instead of being creative and constructing your own narrative is just lazy storytelling.

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I really wish some fan (who is not me) would just go ahead and write Pellaeon vs. Ackbar themselves. It wouldn't be hard to find someone who would do a better job of it than certain official authors, either.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Jeff_Ferguson, what did the author(s) say that implied they saw Legacy as "one possible future"? From Denning I could definitely see it; he seems very controlling once he gets his hands on things; Golden I could see following his lead; but Allston seemed like too much of a good sport to be the type to rebel because he didn't like the fact that the future was set in stone. Especially since he usually seemed like the one who tried very hard to keep the status quo in his novels.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    lol

I say the same thing about the entire Legacy era. Although I think it's charitable to give it that sort of credence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.