main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What are you bringing to paintball?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    With paintball coming next week, you'll need supplies. In years past, we usually stop at Subway on the way to Blast Camp but with change of venues come change in food choices. Looking at the CPX website, I don't see them offering food so you should probably bring sandwiches or subs.

I won't be there this time around. I always bring bottled water so someone should step up and bring a case or two for the masses. If not, Gatorade or other sports drinks will help out during the course of the day.

(yeah, I know, ANOTHER PAINTBALL THREAD!! But I didn't want Macfreak taking all of the responsibility of starting another one)

2. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    What am I bringing to paintball?

THE PAIN.

3. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Don't you mean "THE KNEE PAIN" ?

Bosh

4. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Don't forget lower back. I could barely walk after the last outing.

But most knee, yeah.

5. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'll be bringing a swift kick to the junk to anyone who attempts, at any time, to...

- thrust their marker in the air and exclaim "haroo!"
    - declare Challenge Park to be Sparta
    - ask where we should go to eat, thereby prompting someone else to suggest that we should dine in Hell

Not having a car, I can't really provide much in the way of supplies firsthand, but I'd be happy to throw in some cash for anyone willing to pick up a case of water, sammiches or various snacks.

-Le Penguin
    "How'd it get burned!?"

6. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    If Peaches shows up...it'll be him
    Goat
    Goat or maybe Tate

I'll bring a case of water. No monies needed.

7. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Sweet, a checklist.

Me first!

8. EliteMacFreak

EliteMacFreak Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2006
    I thought you'd be a bit more cautious, seeing as your stash has already taken more than its fair share of hits! ;) Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way--has the pain you've suffered in the past hardened you to the point of invincibility instead?

9. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    THIS IS CHALLENGE PARK!
    *kicks EliteMacFreak down a well*

I might snag a case of water if they are cheap enough at Jewel and bring that for the parched masses.

10. EliteMacFreak

Sep 26, 2006
    Sheesh. Such hostility.

11. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    THIS IS SPARTA!!!

12. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicagoan! Come back with your marker...or on it.

13. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Ok, I'll accept "come back with your marker, or with it in you."

14. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Wow the greasy Chicago Force man-love is finally surfacing. Too bad I'm sitting this one out.

Bosh
    "Ok, I'll accept...it in you." -LePeng

15. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    [image=http://4pron.org/boards/meme/images/61/1174173631877.gif]

16. EliteMacFreak

Sep 26, 2006
    I was looking for better pictures of the CPX fields, and ran across several threads with people making some seriously nasty comments about the way that CPX is run. Almost everyone voiced complaints about tanks not being fully refilled, excessive downtime between games, and abusive treatment by staff, but there are a few other things that I learned after scouring the web that you might want to note:

1) We cannot bring any food or water onto the premises.
    2) There is a hidden sign that you can see only AFTER you enter the park that states that all participants and their belongings are subject to search.
    3) One guy who does the FPS Paintball videos filmed that sign, and shortly thereafter CPX added a rule that prohibited all cameras on the premises. If you're caught with one, you'll be permanently banned from the park.
    4) According to the website, if you don't like a ref's decision, you can't argue with him (for the employees: "An argument is a challenge to your authority"). "Judges will be happy to discuss any call after the game," but if the ref decides that you're arguing or that the discussion is taking too long, they're instructed to ask you, "Are you violating Safety Rule 17 and arguing with me?". If you say yes, they'll expel you for the day.

A few other gameplay related rules:

1) Profanity is an offense punishable by removal from the park.
    2) Physical contact is not allowed during play (therefore, we'll have to shoot each other from point blank rather than tagging each other out).
    3) Any equipment that allows you to fire more than one shot per trigger pull is banned.
    4) No intentional shooting at the head.

Does any of this bother anyone else besides me?

17. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    1) Profanity is an offense punishable by removal from the park.

Guaranteed, I'm the first to go.

Actually I'm a little bothered by those "rules" as well. Especially considering they are already gouging us on the entry fee. The least they could do is not hassle us for bringing our own fracking water.

I get the impression that most of the rules are loosely enforced but who knows. Blastcamp has a similar ruleset and almost none of them are enforced. We rarely have ref call issues and things of that ilk so I'm not worried about that or the profanity thing to tell you the truth. The bringing in outside food/beverages is bothersome but I can walk to my car eat and come back. I refuse to pay captive audience prices.

18. EliteMacFreak

Sep 26, 2006
    I say we all bring water and collectively give them the finger and threaten to sue for our money back if they bother us.

19. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I am all for giving the finger but that is pretty silly. I want to play paintball and I want my money's worth. I'm bringing water into the park in my bag, if they don't like it they can tell me and I'll goto my car after every match and drink it.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and try something new. If it sucks and people voice that opinion, we'll try something else next time.

PS-Your law suit will go nowhere because when you sign their waiver and give them money you've effectively agreed to their TOS so you'll be SOL.

20. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I've got a bad feeling about this.....

21. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Well it is look more and more like I can't go. But does anyone need a pack or a mask maybe I could drop them off at someones house?

22. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Rules have to be made for the lowest common denominator. Take murder, for example; ask pretty much anybody, and regardless of religious beliefs most will say that ending another person's life is A Bad Thing. However, some frak-job had to go ahead and do it anyway, so we had to make a law. It sounds like most of these rules are in place for the good of the community and to make sure that everyone visiting has a good time.

Generally, fields will cut private games some slack. We're all friends here and the odds of me suing Challenge Park because Brickout shoots me in the eye are nil. Every, and I mean EVERY, field I have played at has the "no profanity" rule and I have never, and I mean NEVER, seen it enforced in a private game. I've played open games and seen people get very...enthusiastic and the rule about arguing with the ref is a good one. Same goes for the other rules. Walk-on games need these types of restrictions. In our game, as long as we're cool about everything, I'm sure we can be ourselves without fear of reprisal.

Of course, this will be the most 'commercial' field I've ever played at and some of the more draconian rules, e.g. no outside food and cameras, bother me quite a bit. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...for now. The last couple of times at Blast Camp, many people expressed a desire to play at different fields (nothing against Blast Camp, but variety is the spice of life) and Challenge Park was mentioned as a place some people had liked.

We've paid our money, we play on Saturday. This cannot be changed. If it sucks, we don't go back. There's no need to go in there with a bunch of pre-conceived notions, or to whine about it afterwards. We let our money speak for us.

23. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I agree with everything Hazmatt said except for the right to whine about it afterwards...that's not only allowed but expected.

Bosh

24. EliteMacFreak

Sep 26, 2006
    The whole ban against head shots really grinds my gears [Family Guy reference], since the helmet makes the head the most armored part of the body. In fact, if I have to take a hit, I'd rather take it in helmet from a pain avoidance perspective although it's *almost* the most embarrassing way to go out.

Personally, I think it's safe to disregard that rule because it's impractical and unenforceable. If someone's head and marker are the only things sticking out, then you really don't have any other option. In my opinion, if you guys see my head above cover, fire away. If I get hit in the head, I deserve it. Come to think of it, last year I believe I said the same about getting hit in the nuts and someone had a great comeback. Was that you, Haz? Goat?

Yeah, their anti-camera stance is pretty disappointing because it's SO much fun to see the pictures/movies a few weeks later. The fact that we can't bring refreshments is going to backfire on CPX someday when someone passes out due to dehydration.

25. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I'd love to paintball now that I understand you think it is completely okay for me to shoot you in the head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.